Where can I find a bone for my dog?

roger1999

This sounds silly but I am serious and need some advice. I have a very small dog (she weighs about 5.5 kg) and I'd like to give her a bone to chew on. I've read that there are certain types of bones that you shouldn't give to dogs, and that cooked bones can also be problematic.

I'm not opposed to buying meat with the bone, but I don't know what to buy. I would be shopping at KSG/Topps or at Maya Rimping. Northen Farms is also a convenient option.

Expert advice is much appreciated and my dog will love you for it.

Edited by roger1999

Thanks. Macro is not an option as I have no transport. FYI - if it matters the dog is about 6-7 years old.

They have public transport in Chiang Mai.

I've got this thing against cars and trucks. I hate them and I think they've ruined most of our cities. I avoid them whenever possible.

• Like 1

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats and would never give them bones.

The belief that all dogs should be given bones is a fallacy, just like most people wrongly think that cheese is the natural diet of mice and fish is the natural diet for cats.

Bones are the worse things anyone can give a dog, they can cause serious mouth and stomach problems, even choke a dog. Better to buy a chewing toy for dogs that are safe and feed a dog with a good quality tinned or dry dog food that should provide all the nourishment a dog needs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268914/Tesco-Dont-dog-bone--kill-animal-lover-warns-pet-dies-given-treat.html

• Like 1

It's my belief that bones that will not splinter are perfectly fine for a dog. Correct me if I am wrong.

The bone she is going to be given is rather large and her mouth is tiny. She will be able to maw on it but not actually eat it. That's my hope anyway. The article referenced refers to bones which splinter, and I know I can't give her those.

I am still up to suggestion and happy to hear any thoughts.

The only reason I want to give her a bone is because she found one be accident when she was out for a walk one day (years ago) and she was very obviously thrilled by it. I took it away from her immediately but have never forgotten how much happiness she seemed to get from that bone.

Edited by roger1999

It's my belief that bones that will not splinter are perfectly fine for a dog. Correct me if I am wrong.

The bone she is going to be given is rather large and her mouth is tiny. She will be able to maw on it but not actually eat it. That's my hope anyway. The article referenced refers to bones which splinter, and I know I can't give her those.

I am still up to suggestion and happy to hear any thoughts.

The only reason I want to give her a bone is because she found one be accident when she was out for a walk one day (years ago) and she was very obviously thrilled by it. I took it away from her immediately but have never forgotten how much happiness she seemed to get from that bone.

As being a dog and cat owner for most of my life, I have given you my suggestions and thoughts on the subject. What you decide to do now is at your own risk and discretion.

Beetlejuice post # 14

As being a dog and cat owner for most of my life, I have given you my suggestions and thoughts on the subject. What you decide to do now is at your own risk and discretion.

From the Master ,

You have been told Fido, now sit down and be thankful for those dog biscuits.

Now read this handbook from an expert for owners and their dogs.

Woodhouse_book.jpg

Edited by siampolee

Sparkles, I found this on the web and it agrees with you:

"Recreational bones big chunks of beef or bison femur or hip bones filled with marrow -- dont supply significant dietary nutrition for your dog (they are not designed to be chewed up and swallowed, only gnawed on), but they do provide mental stimulation and are great for your pups oral health.

When your dog chews on a raw recreational bone, especially a meaty one with cartilage and soft tissue still attached, his teeth get the equivalent of a good brushing and flossing. This helps to break down tartar and reduces the risk of gum disease.

Dogs in the wild have beautiful teeth and healthy gums. This is because the prey they eat requires a lot of chewing, and the sinewy composition helps to clean each entire tooth."

• Like 1

The belief that all dogs should be given bones is a fallacy, just like most people wrongly think that cheese is the natural diet of mice and fish is the natural diet for cats.

Bones are the worse things anyone can give a dog, they can cause serious mouth and stomach problems, even choke a dog. Better to buy a chewing toy for dogs that are safe and feed a dog with a good quality tinned or dry dog food that should provide all the nourishment a dog needs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268914/Tesco-Dont-dog-bone--kill-animal-lover-warns-pet-dies-given-treat.html

Better to buy a chew stick appropriate to the dog's size. They massage the gums and remove plaque as well as providing the usual chewing pleasure for dogs.

I tend to go with the natural stuff. Dogs in the wild eat and gnaw on meat and bones. I see nothing wrong with feeding them this and my dogs wont touch canned dog food. Im over all this hype about chew toys.... a dog could choke on anything and not just bones.

• Like 1

Better to buy a chew stick appropriate to the dog's size. They massage the gums and remove plaque as well as providing the usual chewing pleasure for dogs.

Have you chewed one? Or did Google link say?

OP , as many people have said the big pork bones.

Do not worry about the size, will take your little monster loooong time to chew on it.

Keep an eye when he/she does because most likely after a while, he/she will try to hide it for the next day.

Unfortunately, hiding places may even be under your pillow :)

PS. You can ask butchers to cut it into half or quarters.

• Like 2

I hope other board members learn to love their dogs better and give them these healthy types of bones

I do understand what you're saying . When I first came here and saw chicken bones being given to dogs. I was shocked. You can't do that.

Now in all the years I've seen dogs eating chicken bones over here i've not seen one choke on them

So I dunno

I hope other board members learn to love their dogs better and give them these healthy types of bones

I do understand what you're saying . When I first came here and saw chicken bones being given to dogs. I was shocked. You can't do that.

Now in all the years I've seen dogs eating chicken bones over here i've not seen one choke on them

So I dunno

It depends what they're fed on. The chicken bones here in the sandpit are soft as putty, and dogs can easily chew them up and digest them.

Wouldn't give them chicken bones in England though, they splinter.

I had a vet back in the states who told me she grew up on a chicken farm, with several dogs, who ate cooked whole chickens everyday. She said her dad took all of the dead chickens on a daily basis and boiled them for the dogs. Never had a problem

We have 3 dogs, 2 small, 1 large, who eat chicken bones 4 to 5 days a week. Leg and thigh bones from my chicken get eaten plus I buy chicken carcases and boil. Have done this 40 odd years with never a problem.