Changing a 30 day visa exempt extension to a Non-B at Immigration

They are little out of date. You would go to Kap Choeng Immigration in Surin. See this topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/772236-new-locations-for-obtaining-non-immigrant-visas-based-upon-working-and-etc/?view=findpost&p=8598919

​You need15 days remaining on your extension to do it and it might take two trips.

I think if it was me I would go to Vientiane or Savannakhet to get it. Savannakhet does visas on the same day you apply.

• Like 2

Not sure about Bangkok now. The notice says you can do it during a transition period, It has been 2 months since they did the notice. I can also confirm it will mean 2 trips if you do it in Bangkok.

You're the man who seem to know almost all regarding visas and work permits,, but wasn't the rule that you have to have a work permit to do that?

Regarding Laos. I'd reckon Sawannakhet, as they do it on the same day now and it gives you 90 days to sort all out.

Of course depending on what the Op's got in mind what sort of job he/she'll do. I'd never ever rely on what an Immigration officer in Sakhon Nakhon's telling me.

Many of them don't know their own laws, which isn't a Thai bashing one, just the truth. wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

• 7 months later...

Went to Chaeng Wattana a few weeks ago to do my conversion. I won't subject my self to that type of misery again. I would recommend Lao- or any other option except for Chaeng Wattana.

Why? What happened? I'm looking at trying to do this too, mostly b/c hitting a border would be a lot faster and cheaper than a trip to an embassy outside TH.

Why? What happened? I'm looking at trying to do this too, mostly b/c hitting a border would be a lot faster and cheaper than a trip to an embassy outside TH.

Not sure what do you mean but "hitting a birder" does not let you change from visa exemption to non-immigrant visa. The only two choices are conversion at selected immigration offices, or visa at consulate in another country.

Not sure what do you mean but "hitting a birder" does not let you change from visa exemption to non-immigrant visa. The only two choices are conversion at selected immigration offices, or visa at consulate in another country.

Sorry, I meant I'd rather go to a border then come back and change to a non-immigrant visa in BKK (if that is possible) versus wasting two or more days getting a tourist visa outside TH and then having to visit an immigration office when I get back anyway.

Does that make sense? Can I indeed change the "visa exemption" stamp to a non-immigrant visa at an immigration office if I have enough time remaining?

Sorry, I meant I'd rather go to a border then come back and change to a non-immigrant visa in BKK (if that is possible) versus wasting two or more days getting a tourist visa outside TH and then having to visit an immigration office when I get back anyway.

Does that make sense? Can I indeed change the "visa exemption" stamp to a non-immigrant visa at an immigration office if I have enough time remaining?

Usually only in Bangkok although a few offices will accept applications based on retirement and forward them to BKK for approval.

All applications based on marriage have to be made in Bangkok.

It is often easier to obtain a visa outside the country especially if a person lives outside BKK.

Usually only in Bangkok although a few offices will accept applications based on retirement and forward them to BKK for approval.

All applications based on marriage have to be made in Bangkok.

It is often easier to obtain a visa outside the country especially if a person lives outside BKK.

Ok. This would be for work. I need to get a temporary non-B, then work permit and full non-B. That's doable?

Ok. This would be for work. I need to get a temporary non-B, then work permit and full non-B. That's doable?

Very unlikely in my opinion.

I expect you will need to apply, with the correct paperwork supplied by your emloyer, in Laos or Penang

NB

There are no "temporary non-B" visas

Edited by nowretired

Well, when you first get a non-B for work, it's only good for 90 days. So I call that the "temporary" non-B. When you get the work permit, it becomes what I call a "full" non-B b/c it's good for up to a year. Anyway, I appreciate your feedback, but I need more than opinion to go on. I got this coming up at the end of the month. A guy in my office turned his visa exempt entry into a non-B. I just want to make sure he didn't get lucky or something.

You first get a single entry non-b visa then you enter the county and get 90 day permit to stay and then you apply for a one year extension of that permit stay (it is not a visa) at an immigration office.

As soon as you enter the country you have a permit to stay not a visa. The visa only allows you to enter the country.

You first get a single entry non-b visa then you enter the county and get 90 day permit to stay and then you apply for a one year extension of that permit stay (it is not a visa) at an immigration office.

As soon as you enter the country you have a permit to stay not a visa. The visa only allows you to enter the country.

Ok. But can I still enter at a border- visa exempt (30 days)- and obtain/covert to a non-B at local immigration? Provided I have all the necessary paperwork and get everything done in time?

• 1 month later...

Ok. But can I still enter at a border- visa exempt (30 days)- and obtain/covert to a non-B at local immigration? Provided I have all the necessary paperwork and get everything done in time?

You can try.

Let us know the outcome.

Got it. Went to immigration yesterday with a visa exempt stamp and got it turned into a non-B. You just need enough time remaining on the stamp (I think 15 days) and have to use the TM87 form instead of the similar TM86 one.