People behind rice scheme will be sued to cover losses, Prayut says

Lite Beer

I see in the paper that we cannot name. The instigators of the rice scheme have all been excused. Even though rampant corruption is right there on paper for all to see. The programme was not a profit making enterprise anyway. It was always going to be a loss. It was a way to give back to the farmers a little bit of the billions of baht the make for this country through their hard work. The rice farmers are amongst the very poorest in Thailand. Everybody is making money except them. Now the government is trying to make another scheme to give back to the farmers. Same same but different. What will the Thai do if the farmers decide to stop growing rice.

I see in the paper that we cannot name. The instigators of the rice scheme have all been excused. Even though rampant corruption is right there on paper for all to see. The programme was not a profit making enterprise anyway. It was always going to be a loss. It was a way to give back to the farmers a little bit of the billions of baht the make for this country through their hard work. The rice farmers are amongst the very poorest in Thailand. Everybody is making money except them. Now the government is trying to make another scheme to give back to the farmers. Same same but different. What will the Thai do if the farmers decide to stop growing rice.

If you are talking about the BKK Post which you can name but cant quote from then it reports the PM as saying there will be both criminal and civil law suited brought over the scheme.

• Like 1

Just over 2 million tonnes out of 17 million of good quality, the rest poor or inedible.

This will drive down the price of Thai rice for years so no wonder they are trying to limit production at present.

Rice farmers have been well and truly screwed over.

• Like 2

If they can actually nail someone for corruption and put an amount on it, i think they should try and recover it.

However bad the scheme is though, or money lost, it is just inconceivable that you could make people compensate for a poor scheme.

I can't think any case or anyone that has been ordered to pay back ill gotten gains....you're likely correct in that, compensation repaid for poorly planned schemes is difficult...but blatant corruption is something else...anyway......nothing'll happen!!

If they can actually nail someone for corruption and put an amount on it, i think they should try and recover it.

However bad the scheme is though, or money lost, it is just inconceivable that you could make people compensate for a poor scheme.

What are you thinking? They would not be paying for it being a poor scheme. They would be paying because of their ineptness and mismanagement and for allowing, aiding, or turning a blind eye to the corruption in the scheme.
  • Like 1

make people compensate for a poor scheme.

If the scheme was planned, from the beginning, to be a failure, be unaccountable, and, in the process, skim off huge sums of money, then, yes, those involved should be made to pay compensation if proven guilty in the courts; which should be in the year 2050 CE. You know, even governments can be criminal organizations. This is a nice speech but it ain't gonna happen except maybe to a few millers and storage owners.

• Like 1

Quote: "The prime minister said that of the 17 million tonnes of rice remaining when the post-coup administration started, only 2.35 million were up to standard. About 700,000 tonnes was in a bad condition while the remainder was of poor quality."

So, who in their right minds is going to buy the 700.000 tonnes in "Bad condition" and the remaining 14,643,000 tonnes?

Quote: "The prime minister said that of the 17 million tonnes of rice remaining when the post-coup administration started, only 2.35 million were up to standard. About 700,000 tonnes was in a bad condition while the remainder was of poor quality."

So, who in their right minds is going to buy the 700.000 tonnes in "Bad condition" and the remaining 14,643,000 tonnes?

If it's not too bad, animal feed producers will buy it and if it's really bad, ethanol producers will buy it. Of course, the prices they pay will be significantly less than for food grade, export quality rice.

Throw more money down the black hole,just so the Lawyers can get rich,

it will go on for years and years,and in the end ,as usual no one will be

found guilty of anything.

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 2

It would be wise to examine very carefully the Thai rice you see, on-display in your local Thai market or rice-shop, for the next few years at least ! wink.png

And Chinese prison-occupants don't have a lot of choice, I would suspect.

Starving Africans, desperate typhoon-victims, Have We Got A Deal For You ! rolleyes.gif

The pity of it is that the person who thought up this scam is beyond the reach of any Thai law, although any people who skimmed the storage or substituted cheaper grades & informally-imported rice should be available, expect at least a few more prosecutions.

And the politicians who ignored or denied the many warnings, or announced fake-deals with friendly countries or related-companies, should pay the political price.

• Like 1

Excuse me? We are talking about more than 500 billion Baht. How did that go when they sued the governor of the Bank of Thailand for billions following the crash in 1997 (?). laugh.png

In the West, a corrupt cop loses his pension entitlement and may do time in a prison. I'm in favor of coming after the people who engaged in this insane scheme. (Economics 101 teaches students about THE MARKET). But then, horrendous losses were probably a calculated side effect. After all, it's other people's money...

How do we explain our children how Thailand doubled the national debt in just a decade?!? facepalm.gif

• Like 1

So they are paying BT 2 billion a month storage but they are unwilling to sell the remaining rice at a discount to just get rid of it. Makes perfect sense

Actually not selling cheap does make sense as Thailand's rice is a very important commodity, Future crops would be affected and the income of the farmers in years to come. They should distribute it free to schools and hospitals etc. Save a bit of the inflated rents by the scammers that are still benefitting.

Actually she's the thai peoples hero who democratically elected her and her party.

Just don't recall the thai people electing this bloke who refuses to answer any queries on the way he and many others in the thai army amassed massive amounts of wealth.

Yingluck had a minority government, they got 48% of the votes.

Most resent poll in Isan on best government leaders:

Male: Prayut 34%, Thaksin 17% and Apisit 4,5% and the rest spreadout.

Female: Yingluck 36% and Paveena 3,5%... And 58% said that there where no qualified female leaders!

I would have like to see an overall but they had it separate.

That means that even with only one contender couldn't Yingluck manage to get over 50% of the votes! I wonder how much of a hero she really is?!

• Like 1

......................."It was a way to give back to the farmers a little bit of the billions of baht the make for this country through their hard work"...................

A nice thought but there are/were a couple of "issues".

Some of the farmers were not paid for their rice, not by Yingluck and co. anyway, and suffered in a big way. Anyone who knows anything about Thai farmers know they live on the edge when it comes to money, when they sell their crops they need to be paid fast, to pay bills and prepare to plant the next crop. This caused many problems and even resulted in several farmers taking their own lives.

The other issue is, that even though Yingluck's incompetent so-called government are no longer in power, their legacy lives on. Farmers are now being paid a lot less for this recently harvested crop, thanks to the disastrous rice scheme.

Red fans can contradict me all they like, but that is the plain truth.

My wife and I help her family out with money, but not all families have that luxury.