Red and yellow figures oppose direct election of PM

Lite Beer

Red and yellow figures oppose direct election of PM
THE NATION

30250299-01_big.jpg

Red-shirt leader Veerakarn Musigapong, second from left, proposes ideas to the Constitution Drafting Committee at Parliament yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- Red-shirt and former yellow-shirt leaders voiced opposition yesterday to the direct election of the prime minister and Cabinet members.

Red-shirt leader Veerakarn Musigapong proposed ideas to the Constitution Drafting Committee on what should be included in the new constitution, although he said he did not represent the whole United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship. He said he would discuss the CDC response to his proposals with the UDD later.

CDC spokesman General Lertrat Ratanavanich said Veerakarn opposed the proposal for a directly elected PM put forward by the National Reform Council's political-reform panel.

"The direct election [of a prime minister] could affect the presence of the monarchy, and members of Parliament must be members of political parties, as before," Veerakarn suggested.

The former UDD chairman said that if MPs were not members of political parties they could be used and persuaded during votes on important legislative bills.

He said that in legal and justice matters, every court must be tied to the public. For example, top-ranked court officials should be approved by MPs and senators, and judges should be scrutinised as well.

He urged the CDC to scrutinise independent agencies as he has for the past 10 years, saying these organisations have too much freedom and independence, and never included in the checks-and-balance system under the 1997 and 2007 charters.

Veerakarn later also voiced support for outsiders being a part of a judicial commission office.

He said that if the new charter is accepted, reconciliation might be able to be promoted as well, because the charter might be seen as reconciliatory.

However, he urged charter drafters not to show prejudice, hence the CDC hopes that Veerakarn will be an important player to promote reconciliation among conflicting sides, Lertrat said.

Veerakarn also voiced support for an amnesty given to protesters, but said leaders and political chiefs should not be included in this.

Meanwhile, Suriyasai Katasila, a former leading member of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), also opposed the direct election of a prime minister via his Facebook page, with an explanation of the negative aspects of the idea.

"How can a directly elected PM actually represent the people?

"Even MPs elected by the people fail in representing their people, and most of them have to obey those who are behind and in control of their actions," he said.

Suriyasai - now a Thailand Reform Institute director - said direct election of the prime minister could be seen as adding even more power to the centre of government, and that would be in contrast to the idea of decentralisation, which is an important part of the current reforms.

It would create more corruption, by making it easier for candidates to buy votes from citizens, and could ruin the political system, the former PAD man said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Red-and-yellow-figures-oppose-direct-election-of-P-30250299.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-20

PM Prayuth seems to be doing a good job so far.

In the past I've read articles arguing that political parties are a form of collusion and it made a case for their abolition.

This wasn't in Thailand, in fact I can't remember where I read this as it was a long time ago.

Google 'should political parties be banned'

as long as the yellows maintain their grip on the tools of control there will never be a proper 'peace'. the truth is the yellows are IN control now but Thais will wait, patiently, and eventually vote in who THEY want and as for Thailand begin the first country EVER to have a directly elected PM it is madness and hopefully cooler and smarter heads will prevail.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This country will never come together.

They'll draft yet another constitution, and a year later someone will whine they were left out, or the other guys cheated, and start another riot.

What are you talkin about , this is land mark stuff , the stuff only western Governments dream of , don't you realize it is the first time Reds and Yellows have actually agreed together for a decade, Don't know if we need to re-write the constitution over it , but hey lets call another Coup cheesy.gif

• Like 1

In the past I've read articles arguing that political parties are a form of collusion and it made a case for their abolition.

This wasn't in Thailand, in fact I can't remember where I read this as it was a long time ago.

What exactly did he do? List pls but keep out the "one week crackdowns" after which everything returned to normal? Nothing has changed besides replacing the corrupted people in power with his own. Besides, even if he did some good, I rather have a democratically elected corrupted govt, which is what all democratic countries have, than a corrupted dictatorship.

The United States has pin pointed "tactics" Thais might use to force a desired result .

I would say the US has used many "tactics" over time that have been used in an attempt to force a desired result.

Sanctions would have been the least destructive, for if they have not worked there has always been the option of bombs and bullets.

If the US decides they want to interfere in the way the Thailand people want their political system I suspect they will have the same luck they had in Vietnam.

b27659fed9b4166aafe0d6b9d5e2f0f0f6f1d854

I really do wonder why anyone that isn't aligned with the reds (Thaksin parties) gets called yellow, after the color yellow wasn't adopted as a political sign until the protests against the Thaksin Govt and the airport thing.

Other parties and opinions have been along for a lot longer than that.

He said that in legal and justice matters, every court must be tied to the public. For example, top-ranked court officials should be approved by MPs and senators, and judges should be scrutinised as well.

Isnt that what Thaksin tried to do, approve all court officials, judges and heads of checks and balances agencies ?..........For his own benefit.

The last thing the country needs is for the judges and agency heads to be beholden to politicians.

The former UDD chairman said that if MPs were not members of political parties they could be used and persuaded during votes on important legislative bills.

Just as minor parties can be "Used and persuaded" .

I also wonder the opposite. If somebody isn't aligned with the either the yellow types or the current farcical "government" they get labelled as red shirt lovers etc (even if you constantly say you don't care about red shirts or yellow shirt)?

I really do wonder why anyone that isn't aligned with the reds (Thaksin parties) gets called yellow, after the color yellow wasn't adopted as a political sign until the protests against the Thaksin Govt and the airport thing.

Other parties and opinions have been along for a lot longer than that.

Isnt that what Thaksin tried to do, approve all court officials, judges and heads of checks and balances agencies ?..........For his own benefit.

The last thing the country needs is for the judges and agency heads to be beholden to politicians.

Just as minor parties can be "Used and persuaded" .

"The former UDD chairman said that if MPs were not members of political parties they could be used and persuaded during votes on important legislative bills."

Unlike PTP who simply receive an instruction from their criminal employer on how to vote and what to do.

• Like 2

When ...General Lertrat, as spokesperson of the CDC, 'senza vergogna', dares to say, about some scum of a red terrorist on ...bail (why still now?): '...the CDC hopes that Veerakarn will be an important player to promote reconciliation among conflicting sides', I'm lost, lost about that General Lertrat's shape of mind, about the whole CDC's validity, more lost than ever about this country's future...

Has any one asked the Blacks and Whites what they want to do about the election of the PM?

And while we are at it...why did you capitalize "Red" and not "yellow"?...hum?

Why did capitalise "Has"?

Red is capitalised because it's the start of the sentence.

• Like 1

Besides, even if he did some good

Thanks for confirming that you aren't interested in facts or reality, and that you won't change your mind, no matter what. Thus, your clamoring for 'lists' of what Prayuth has achieved is just just a facade over your red-shirt acolyte enthusiasm .

...than a corrupted dictatorship.

well, Thaksin is long gone, and the current government is doing what they can to prevent his return, so I'm confused why that doesn't make you happy then...?
  • Like 1

What exactly did he do? List pls but keep out the "one week crackdowns" after which everything returned to normal? Nothing has changed besides replacing the corrupted people in power with his own. Besides, even if he did some good, I rather have a democratically elected corrupted govt, which is what all democratic countries have, than a corrupted dictatorship.

He brought the oil prices down, gave out free movie tickets, free concerts, got the world to agree with Thailand's lese Majeste laws, put a stop to happy endings and packed up some deck chairs. He has been busy

Has any one asked the Blacks and Whites what they want to do about the election of the PM?

And while we are at it...why did you capitalize "Red" and not "yellow"?...hum?

Why did capitalise "Has"?

Red is capitalised because it's the start of the sentence.

Ah so...I mistook this to be the title: Replying to Red and yellow figures oppose direct election of PM...I stand corrected...