Measures to curb road casualties ready to put in action

Lite Beer

As trafic accidents seem to be public enemy #1 I welcome the initiatives. But much more needs to be done. Frequent alcohol tests all through the year and not just temporary crackdowns. Much more checking of drivers obeying traffic rules, safety tests of vehicles and abolishing the horror u-turns would certainly help and save lifes.

i fully agree

just as a question does anybody know what the procedure is after one has failed the breath test

my wife has suggested that if one is completely legless you get carted off the the cop shop to sober up then released with a fine end of

a little inebriation = on the spot fine and off you go after a period of time

any one clarify this theory ??(please don't purger yourself biggrin.png

Of the people i know who failed the test all, except one, paid on the spot and were allowed to drive on. The exception was one who became argumentative as he was willing to pay but not what was asked so he spent the night in a cell and in the morning was fined the maximum Bt.20,000 !

He had been asked for Bt.4,000 so there's a lesson there.

Here again corruption is a major cause of reckless and drunk driving. Thais drive drunk, drive the wrong way on motorbikes, make all sorts of illegal vehicle manuvers - all because they know they can simply pay a bribe and be let go. If the actualy laws were enforced and people knew there would be severe condequences - then they would be far less likely to commit this unsafe acts.

If a driver is stopped and tests positive for being drunk - he should not be allowed to continue driving after paying a bribe.

This is why I love Thailand, if I want the old nanny state rules I will live in the UK.

So any special rescue teams and equipment available to perform rescues? Following collisions cars buckle and twist , they crumple and deform trapping those inside. Doors can't be opened and people are pinned in place by deformed dashboards and steering wheels.

As far as I know the ambulances just wing it, often losing time and lives unnecessarily often worsening injuries.

Edited by simonuk

If the authorities really want to keep death off the roads over the New Year period why not just get tough!!

Why not state that if found driving with alcohol in your blood during the 7 day holiday period you will incur a severe penalty..

ie

Automatic 12 month driving ban, large fine & re-take your driving test !!

But then the authorities aren't serious & I'm just a party pooper !!

Merry Xmas to all