New Toyota Camry 2006

Scenium11

Here she is ... the brand new Camry!

Entry level with 2.0 engine (147hp) @ 1,299,000bahts

And 2.4 (167hp) from 1,469,000 to 1,749,000 with GPS and DVD.

Here is the price list and specs from Toyota website

http://www.toyota.co.th/red/th/model/camry/camry_price.asp

6 colors

- white (at last!). White is the classy trendy color in Japan!

- beige

- silver Metal

- Medium silver Metal

- Dark Blue

- Black

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boring it maybe, but isn't one of the worlds most reliable cars?

Yes, I had 4 of them in Sweden. Never a problem and I thought they were good fun to drive.

I cannot afford one of them here so I run a 10-12 old Toyota Corona 2.0. Had it for 4 years now and it is a good car.

Boring it maybe, but isn't one of the worlds most reliable cars?

Actually that honor belongs to the Corolla :o

This new Camry is far better looking than the outgoing model.....the rear end borrows from the 2003 Accord. Quite sporty looking.

Quite funny that Honda screwed up the looks of the accord with that ugly rear end for the new model while Toyota copy the rear end from the outgoing accord :D top stuff

It doesn't look like any of the Accords sold here, not to me at least. In fact it's one of the best rear ligths clusters around.

There was a talk about bringing new engines to Thai Camrys, initially about hybrids, then Australian V6 (only 5% import taxes for Australian made cars). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

post-17897-1155569853_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look like any of the Accords sold here, not to me at least. In fact it's one of the best rear ligths clusters around.

There was a talk about bringing new engines to Thai Camrys, initially about hybrids, then Australian V6 (only 5% import taxes for Australian made cars). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Really, the styling of the new Camry light cluster is almost the same as that for the Thai Accord model previous to the current one (ie pre-facelift). I know I'm not the only one that thinks this its also mentioned on several thai motoring enthusiasts webboards :o

Just to clarify I don't mean that its a like for like copy, but you can definately see the same lines in the rear end of the Camry and the pre-faclift Accord. :D

One of my guys brought me a new Camry to play with yesterday. Top spec model with navigation etc. Nice car, bit on the slow side with the 2.4L engine.

Extras include: DVD/Navigation, air-con in the seats, no more sticky back. control the air-con on the steering wheel, lots of buttons to press.

Very smooth, quiet ride. Suspension well adjusted for local conditions.

Bit pricey at 1.75 million for the top spec model though.

NewCamry1.jpg

where can i find out about buying/importing a new car into Thailand i.e. somewhere the tax levies are listed mny thnx

I have no idea, Chevrolet is the only company so far that imports cars from Australia, afaik.

Camry is the most boring car? Maybe back in the US or Europe. Here, in Thailand, there are only two other cars in its segment - Nissan Tiana and Accord.

Boring, more boring, and the most boring - that much is true.

Wow, that pricing is kind of shocking. In Canada that 2.4 is $25,800 Cdn/870,000 bt (plus 7% GST, like a VAT), with 158 hp/218 nm and 5-speed auto transmission.

I assume there are copious tariffs/taxes on the car.

I tested the camry yesterday.I already have a 2003 Camry Q

I can assure you it is not a boring car.Lot of new good features too

And i know what i speak about;I was racing driver in the 70ies (saloon cars)

I too made some car tests for a magazine.

Reliable car,smooth,no noise.Good handling and powerfull enough for the driing conditions here

But not sure you will like it if you live upcountry

Reliable car,smooth,no noise.Good handling and powerfull enough for the driing conditions here

If you had a choice to make, which would it be, a new Camry or new Accord?

If you had a choice to make, which would it be, a new Camry or new Accord?

Well I never tested the Accord.I don't like the new body especially the rear.But it is a question of taste

The guy who sold me my Camry bought an Accord (old model).He was not so much impressed and afterward told me he regreted the Camry

The new Camry impressed me.Many small good new things.But mine is only 3.5 years old and has only 37 000 km so it would be stupid to spend 1,7 mios bahts .

Sorry I am not of a big help here

Wow, that pricing is kind of shocking. In Canada that 2.4 is $25,800 Cdn/870,000 bt (plus 7% GST, like a VAT), with 158 hp/218 nm and 5-speed auto transmission.

Yes, there are. Anything that's not classified as Pick-Up or passenger transport vehicle gets taxed like crazy, anywhere from 50% - 200%. Worst are cars with bigger engines imported from non-ASEAN countries - they just cost 2 - 3x as much in Thailand.

I guess the big idea behind it is to make Thailand a hub for Pick-Up trucks. It's worked fairly well so whos to argue. But it hurts that an entry level BMW goes for the price of a Porsche back home.

Yes, there are. Anything that's not classified as Pick-Up or passenger transport vehicle gets taxed like crazy, anywhere from 50% - 200%. Worst are cars with bigger engines imported from non-ASEAN countries - they just cost 2 - 3x as much in Thailand.

I guess the big idea behind it is to make Thailand a hub for Pick-Up trucks. It's worked fairly well so whos to argue. But it hurts that an entry level BMW goes for the price of a Porsche back home.

I'm considering the new Camry, trading off my BMW, its so expensive buying cars here in Thailand. I tried putting gas in the BM, but apparently it cannot be done. Does anyone have any ideas about how the engine can be adjusted to take NGV? Its a 323iA m3 model with 18" Alloy wheels, I'll sell for 1.2-1.3 million 65000km 2003model. Well, looking forward to the new Camry:)

I'm considering the new Camry, trading off my BMW, its so expensive buying cars here in Thailand. I tried putting gas in the BM, but apparently it cannot be done. Does anyone have any ideas about how the engine can be adjusted to take NGV? Its a 323iA m3 model with 18" Alloy wheels, I'll sell for 1.2-1.3 million 65000km 2003model. Well, looking forward to the new Camry:)

post-18603-1157175176_thumb.jpgpost-18603-1157175176_thumb.jpg

post-18603-1157175176_thumb.jpgpost-18603-1157175176_thumb.jpg

you could always speak to these guys

http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog/SGIS.html

yes i know they are in england but they will be ab;le to tell you if it can be done

maybe can even send you kit without tank too heavy for post and you may have to fit local to Thai one anyway :o

have run two VW's with lpg :D

one was a vw scirroco 1800 gti using mechanical fuel injection and a very basic Lpg system :D

and the other's a passat 1.8 gti using the digifant electronic injection and ignition :D

both were very economical and reliable

BUT BE WARNED :D

any vehicle that runs lpg or any compressed gas fuel will find the slightest problem in your cooling system and make it a bigger problem if you dont look after vehicle!

the fuel burns much hotter but advances across the combustion chamber slower than petrol also has a much higher octane 105 up to 125 all depending on the mix

these vehicle also need a slight alteration to your driving style if you want them to last a long time

unless you have a high pressure direct injection system

if you have a plastic inlet manifold or a moving metering flap to control the fuel air mix then accelerate less harshly and then once it starts to pick up the speed then you can floor it otherwise you can cause backfire and it can be spectacular

it's a very clean good fuel just needs a bit more care till you are used to it bit like the difference between driving a turbo diesel and a petrol car really

costs savings here in uk i used to use £55 A WEEK GOING TO WORK and a bit of shopping! now it's only £18.50

so £36 a week saving yes thats 66% :D

but thats here

If you send me the full vehicle details I could look into for you?

I looking to get an Audi when i emigrate to Thailand next year as i am bringing two uk kits with me if the ministry of vehicle taxes and duties and fines gets back to me

cheers

Jing-Jo

Dear SCENIUM 11

I am from Malaysia and I have found your info to be very helpful.

We have been trying to get the exact specs of the NEW Camry. I drive a 2006 CAMRY. Toyota Malaysia is said to be importing its future CAMRYs from Thailand.

Thank you.

Sincerely

Here is the price list and specs from Toyota website

http://www.toyota.co.th/red/th/model/camry/camry_price.asp

6 colors

- white (at last!). White is the classy trendy color in Japan!

- beige

- silver Metal

- Medium silver Metal

- Dark Blue

- Black

https://www.e-toyotaclub.com/th/AutoLineup/...;site=undefined

all the official specs are there

Camry had 3000 bookings in the first two weeks and I have seen a couple red-plated Camries already. In comparison I'm still looking for a new Ford pickup launched in March, half a year ago. I've only spotted Mazda B50 once, it was a 2wd and nothing to look at.

Camry is aiming at BMW and Mercs market here, especially 5 series and E-class. I don't know how Germans hope to cope - their cars cost THREE TIMES more for practically the same package.

Dear PLUS

TQ for the info. What do RED PLATED Camries SIGNIFY?

Sincerely

Andre

https://www.e-toyotaclub.com/th/AutoLineup/...;site=undefined

all the official specs are there

Camry had 3000 bookings in the first two weeks and I have seen a couple red-plated Camries already. In comparison I'm still looking for a new Ford pickup launched in March, half a year ago. I've only spotted Mazda B50 once, it was a 2wd and nothing to look at.

Camry is aiming at BMW and Mercs market here, especially 5 series and E-class. I don't know how Germans hope to cope - their cars cost THREE TIMES more for practically the same package.

In Thailand dealers give you red plates first and you drive with red plates until they sort out all the paperwork, properly register your car, and then give you normal white plates. It takes about two weeks, sometimes longer.

Red plates means the car is fresh off the showroom.

Dear PLUS

This sounds very Innovative and Business & Customer Friendly. Are there any setbacks to this system? Like security, fraud, etc. In Malaysia, the new OWNER MUST go Personally to Register his Vehicle First (and choose his number - and PAY for it if he so wishes). But this can be done in a day.

Sincerely

Andre

In Thailand dealers give you red plates first and you drive with red plates until they sort out all the paperwork, properly register your car, and then give you normal white plates. It takes about two weeks, sometimes longer.

Dear PLUS

This sounds very Innovative and Business & Customer Friendly. Are there any setbacks to this system? Like security, fraud, etc. In Malaysia, the new OWNER MUST go Personally to Register his Vehicle First (and choose his number - and PAY for it if he so wishes). But this can be done in a day.

Sincerely

Andre

malaysian system is better. i paid extra for my special number, and still it took 4 months to arrive. i was on red plates for 4 months.

I think the Euro's are targeting the snob market and those who seek a more engaging driving experience (5 series, not E-class). If you don't care about that then the Camry is the perfect car for you.

Unlike the gentleman above.. I wouldn't dream of trading my BMW for a Camry..

those who seek a more engaging driving experience (5 series, not E-class).

I've never seen anyone driving his shiny new 5 series any different from Camry. Second hand - yes, new - never.

BMW 5 here cost nearly 150,000 USD. Do they even have Bimmers for that price in the US?

Ok, got it. The most expensive, top range 7 series BMW in the States is 120,000 USD, about 4.5 mil Baht - the price of BMW 525SE here with 190 hp engine - a ######ing joke.

Edited by Plus