New Toyota Camry 2006

Scenium11

The bulk of E-class customers don't care about front wheel drive, weight distribution, understeer, oversteer - they want prestige and luxury. They can get that from 2.4l Camry already. Will they pay another million for more power?

In my opinion there is absolutely nothing prestigious and luxurious about a Camry. Boring as it is, it is still a well put together car but it certainly is not a luxo-barge ala Benz and BMW.

Will young buyers who can spend 3 mil on a car and who are looking for some excitement buy Camry? Maybe. Unless they have 5 million to buy a proper BMW5. In 2.85 mil they can get only half of Camry's power from other car makers.

If they are looking for a drivers car aroung the 3 million baht mark then you would have the choice of Subaru WRX, Mazda RX8, BMW 325i, Lexus IS250, VW Golf Gti, and Mercedes C Class (liberal use of 'drivers' car here!). I would certainly choose any of these over a Camry...

Edited by lost_in_isaan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree that there's no prestige in Camry, but, as it costs twice as much as Altis even in 2.4l form, people driving it can show that they are "special".

Toyota isn't trying to make another BMW, they are trying to make another Lexus, and this new Camry is a step closer. I believe they don't sell Lexus in Japan, it's just better Toyotas rebadged for overseas markets.

All drivers cars you mentioned have one fault or another, comparing to Camry. Subaru is for macho men only, it doesn't have looks or luxury or space of Camry. It's not for wives or families (forget the manual gear, too). Same for Mazda RX8, plus it costs two million more. BMW325 - 80 hp less, 800,000 baht more. Lexus IS250 is also more expensive, I believe it's in the upper 3 million range. I saw it at Bitec and loved it, especially inside. Golf Gti is a recent import, people don't know it yet, plus again - you don't get Camry's size and comfort. C-class I already mentioned - it has exactly half the power for the same price, and less space. Then there's Mini, but it's small. Volvo S60 is close in size and price, but I think that 3.5l has a lot more power than that Volvo.

Having said that, I still don't think people would buy it. Actually, what we agreed in our household is - if it becomes popular, we'll consider it. I'll for one will fight against waisting money on C-class or 320 anyway.

Some factoids.

I've just looked at a local Benz site. All their E-class models but one, five million baht E280, have less than 200 hp. The cheapest, E200, cost 3.85 mil. In terms of power all their models are comparable to 2.4l Camries/Accords/Tianas (and new pickup trucks).

None of these E200+ models are available in the US where numbers start with E320 - 3.2l engine.

New Camry does 0-100 in 6.7 sec, on par with BMW 530 (almost five million baht). It's two seconds faster than basic BMW 525/520d and three seconds faster than basic E-class.

Sheer power doesn't sell in Thailand though.

I just need to add some comments here.

1) Lexus do sell inside Japan, although they announced the opposite at the birth of the brand. The IS250 is making a bit hit there among young business men.

2) A lot of discussion about the Camry being the most boring car or not. Let's have a look at the facts. The Camry is the best selling car in the world for years now. This car is just the best compromise between price, quality, strength and efficiency.

3) As i said, 2,85mb for the 3.5 is a lot of money and Toyota is launching it as a flagship model. For the same price, you can get a BMW 320iSE or for less money, you can get a Volvo S60 2.0T or V70 2.0T. If you look at Benz, you'll get only the 'boring' C180K with a mere 4cyl.

Forget about the Subaru or RX8, these are not comparable cars. Forget also the Golf GTI, this is totally different feeling inside: cheappy!

Now i'm waiting for Mr Honda to launch its falgship. Thailand motoring is a mature market now. Please, Mr Manufacturers, start to more 'thrilling' models. The Civic Type-R could be a good example. Putting a 2.4l in a Civic sounds interesting.

Btw, who bought one so far? I mean the 2.4 of course

1) Lexus do sell inside Japan, although they announced the opposite at the birth of the brand. The IS250 is making a bit hit there among young business men.

2) A lot of discussion about the Camry being the most boring car or not. Let's have a look at the facts. The Camry is the best selling car in the world for years now. This car is just the best compromise between price, quality, strength and efficiency.

3) As i said, 2,85mb for the 3.5 is a lot of money and Toyota is launching it as a flagship model. For the same price, you can get a BMW 320iSE or for less money, you can get a Volvo S60 2.0T or V70 2.0T. If you look at Benz, you'll get only the 'boring' C180K with a mere 4cyl.

Forget about the Subaru or RX8, these are not comparable cars. Forget also the Golf GTI, this is totally different feeling inside: cheappy!

Now i'm waiting for Mr Honda to launch its falgship. Thailand motoring is a mature market now. Please, Mr Manufacturers, start to more 'thrilling' models. The Civic Type-R could be a good example. Putting a 2.4l in a Civic sounds interesting.

Btw, who bought one so far? I mean the 2.4 of course

All the cars you mentioned would even get my pulse to flutter one bit. I'd rather pay for a Tuk Tuk thrill than any of the above.

Your point 2, questioning the boredome of the Camry..... you really think the car is the number one sold car because it is not boring!!!!!!!! A golf cart provides more toque with a low battery than a camry.

If you want to own a camry than do so, you don't have to justify it to us. It is nothing to be ashamed of. I have one... but because it is sooooo very boring to me, I let the wife drive around 99% of the time.

I like the look of it....best looking Camry yet, IMO. There's some BMW hints in the styling, but I think Toyota got it right where BMW got it so wrong. Choice between the Camry and the Accord in terms of styling.....the Accord looks like a taxi.

Dakhar,

Everything depend on the definition you give to 'boring'.

Sitting in the top-end Camry is just like sitting in your sofa, and you are ready to travel from North to South without any worry. If you feel bored while sitting at home in your sofa, that's an other thing.

Now if you are looking for a car giving you more thrills, then you'll have to go and buy a Subaru or a BMW. On the Thai market, i don't any car that could give you 'driving feelings'. There are of course some on the 'grey' market but we are talking about totally different prices.

I was mentionning the Civic Type-R which would maybe launch a new trend. Now, if you prefer drive a tuktuk than a type-R, you seem very weird.

In Europe, there are plenty of cars giving you the strong 'driving' feeling. There are just not available in Thailand.

Camry is just a comfortable family car at a fair price.

This new Camry has the DVD navigation option. Does anyone know how well this works and if the maps cover all of Bangkok or Thailand ?

The new 2007 Accord states side has the DVD navigation but I don't think it's available here in Thailand yet... I'm thinking Honda may upgrade the Accord with DVD navigation Q1 next year.

Anyone has any insights on this?

I just need to correct your comment :D

The Camry is not and never has been the best selling car in the world even for 1 year. Your getting your facts mixed up, the best selling car in the world is a Toyota, but its the Corolla that takes the prize with over 30million sold since its launch in 1966 (pointless trivia I know :D).

Maybe your confusing America with the World :D :D as Camry is the best selling passenger car in the US

and yes Camry is boring, even the new one. Although it is 10 times better than the outgoing model. as for a Camry at 3million, I for one wouldn't buy one...the badge isn't prestigous enough even if the quality is as good as a Merc/BMW etc etc. Actually I'd prefer to buy a Saab :D

oh and before anyone complains about my comment about the US......its a joke :o ......or is it :D

This new Camry has the DVD navigation option. Does anyone know how well this works and if the maps cover all of Bangkok or Thailand ?

The new 2007 Accord states side has the DVD navigation but I don't think it's available here in Thailand yet... I'm thinking Honda may upgrade the Accord with DVD navigation Q1 next year.

Apparently they've recalled all the Navigation models to update the software, then one I had a play in wouldn't shut up.

Apparently they've recalled all the Navigation models to update the software, then one I had a play in wouldn't shut up.

Probably still thinks it's in Japan :o <joke>

I'm assuming the new Camry's are made in Thailand?

A golf cart provides more toque with a low battery than a camry.

I understand it's poetic license and all, but, as I said, this new Camry would beat any benz/bimmer by 2-3 seconds in 0-100 race. "Driver's car" is a nostalgic notion without any substance here. They don't design BMW in the West so that they can watch Camrys disappear in a distance, they don't sell E-class that can't overtake Camry either.

It's not that the Camry is exceptionally boring - it's the "drivers cars" that are utter shit here.

320 is a worthwile match to Honda Civic, for example - they'll have tons of fun racing each other in a straight line. Pickups may join. 3 million spent of racing trucks and Civics? No wonder they sell more 5 series than 320s. In the US this embarassement to BMW doesn't even exist.

BMW is ready to step even lower - it now advertises old 318 as a good alternative - that one has as much power as a ten year old Corolla, whooping 136 hp. They are MEANT to be tailgated by Fortuners on highways.

This is Thailand, who cares? People don't like the look of new 3 series, they prefer old 318. What do they care about power? Nothing. They are girls' rides, not drivers'.

Civic Type R is a mouth watering car for ALL Thai enthusiasts, on the other hand.

Several mentions of the Civic Type R; are there actually any indications that Honda are going to release this model in Thailand?

I have the standard 2 litre which has at least 50bhp less than it should have and handles like a boat; a type R would be a delicious upgrade!

"Actually I'd prefer to buy a Saab"

Best statement in the Motor forum to date (even if there was a hint of sarcasm). I heart Saab. :o

As for the Camry... maybe when I stop driving for the experience of it all... zzzzzzz :D

EDIT: apparently I don't know how to use quote function...

Edited by teej

"Actually I'd prefer to buy a Saab"

Best statement in the Motor forum to date (even if there was a hint of sarcasm). I heart Saab. :o

As for the Camry... maybe when I stop driving for the experience of it all... zzzzzzz :D

EDIT: apparently I don't know how to use quote function...

Actually I was serious.....I've always loved Saabs ever since I drove my uncles 900 turbo 12 years ago. Don't so keen on the old 9000 or the newer 9-5, but the 900 or a 9-3 is the one to have for me! My family in Finland has a classic Saab 96V4, absolutely in perfect as new condidition....really nice car :D

Several mentions of the Civic Type R; are there actually any indications that Honda are going to release this model in Thailand?

There was an article in BP Motoring a few weeks ago. They will build it here for export to Australia, and they plan to sell it domestically, too. It will have just under 220 hp to avoid the tax barrier and cost around 1.5 mil.

BMW can continue selling 130hp "drivers cars" to girls.

Abomination.

Moonoi we just had a Saab Club of Thailand meeting this past weekend... We have lots of beauties in the club, you're invited to come to the next meeting if you would like to. Lots of nice cars on hand, many tuned by Abbott, Maptun, Nordic, and Hirsch (all of the tuners have a Thai distributor, some cars are tuned a little bit by all hihi)... last month they met for a race at the Pattaya Pira Circuit... bring on the TypeR! We have Swedish TypeR killers in disguise... :o

Moonoi we just had a Saab Club of Thailand meeting this past weekend... We have lots of beauties in the club, you're invited to come to the next meeting if you would like to. Lots of nice cars on hand, many tuned by Abbott, Maptun, Nordic, and Hirsch (all of the tuners have a Thai distributor, some cars are tuned a little bit by all hihi)... last month they met for a race at the Pattaya Pira Circuit... bring on the TypeR! We have Swedish TypeR killers in disguise... :D

Sure I'll try and come along if I can :D let me know when and where.

Of course this would be the ultimate Saab :o Saab JA-37 Viggen

post-22504-1162881513_thumb.jpg

Should certainly see off any Camrys' :D hehehe (just to keep it on topic :D)

Edited by moonoi

Well the 3.5L Camry is here, nice kitted motors. Bit pricey mind you!

2.85 Million Baht, that's around 78,000 USD.

I was looking at some prices in the US for the Camry 3.5 V6, top of the range with all extras, seems it will be just over the 30,000 USD mark.

Is this the same car, and is it produced in Thailand or the States ?

Thai made, but it beats both the 3l and 220hp barrier for the highest possible tax rate.

New Isuzu D-max goes 0-100 in 10.4 sec. That's faster than BMW 318 for 2.3 mil baht or 60,000 USD.

I test drove the top of the range 2.4 Camry in Loei, that was 1.7 Million Baht. Seemed to be an ok car, but I was not blown away with it. It was only a test drive though, so I can't really comment too much, just first impressions

I have a Toyota Fortuner and think its great value compared to other cars or trucks in Thailand. :o

• 2 years later...