Maybe just a little luck, but I got a great fare from BKK to interior U.S.

KED

I travel from Thailand to the U.S. once a year around Feb/Mar/Apr. to visit my elderly parents. The biggest challenge with fares is they live in Pensacola, FL (near New Orleans) and there isn't much competition with fares (especially now that UA only has codeshare Bangkok to Tokyo).

Usually, I book a roundtrip fare Bangkok to LAX since I can get many options around USD 900 and then purchase another ticket LAX onward roundtrip. By booking two separate roundtrips, I usually save about USD 500-700. The biggest drawback is if the BKK-LAX flight is late then I have a big problem with separate tickets - luckily, i always give myself 5-7 hours in LAX and have not had a problem.

Anyway, I was checking fares from Bangkok and found a complete fare from Bangkok to Florida for USD 1180 - which is even lower than separate tickets and the lowest I have seen in 5 years or more.

I don't know if the lower fuel prices are kicking in or what happened - but really great to find a reasonable fare.

• Like 1

Would you mind sharing which airline as I need to go back around the same time.

Fond memories of Pensacola; spent a year at Corey Field in the late '60's.

I found it on Delta - using Kayak but then booked directly with Delta.

Usually, I buy a BKK-LAX ticket on China Eastern for USD 859 or so and then a separate ticket LAX-FL on the lowest airline - but this time it worked out to be lower as one ticket.

I booked a flight this week to visit my parents in Gulf Shores. My plan was to fly Bangkok to Pensacola and spend some time in Gulf Shores prior to driving them by car to Indianapolis and spending some time there also. So what I intended was to price two one way tickets, Bangkok/Pensacola - Indianapolis / Bangkok. I figured it would be astronomically pricy but found that I could buy the two one way tickets cheaper than I could fly Bangkok / Indianapolis round trip. I asked the Delta Travel agent why and she told me there was a large special fare at this time for Pensacola fares. At any rate it worked out great for me, I did not get as good as fare as you but the two one way tickets ended up being around $1,400 which I thought was a good fare and good connections as going there a total of 22 hours and return just under 24 hours. It would have cost me $250 more dollars to fly round trip from Bangkok to Indianapolis.

• Like 1

I doubt it's lower fuel costs.

There's lag time in the production and delivery of JP-4 that would delay fuel cost savings to airlines. And major airlines hedge 50%+ of their fuel costs with short-time future contracts. Even with lower fuel costs an airline may not necessarily pass any of the savings to its customers - depends on pricing competition, airline profitability, and aircraft fuel efficiency.

• Like 1

I wonder if it could have anything to do with fewer people booking those flights with tourism down in LOS? The airlines do like to fill the planes as some money is better than none. They hate to fly those planes half-full and I wonder if it's competition?

Just a thought.

• Like 1

I wonder if it could have anything to do with fewer people booking those flights with tourism down in LOS? The airlines do like to fill the planes as some money is better than none. They hate to fly those planes half-full and I wonder if it's competition?

Just a thought.

Doubtful that it was the current drop in tourism from NA.

Last March I could have booked a flight JFK-BKK-JFK for travel May to July on Delta for $940. I missed that but was able to get a United flight for $980.That was before the coup and before the collapse in oil prices and the cheapest fare I've managed to get in 10 years.

I booked a flight this week to visit my parents in Gulf Shores. My plan was to fly Bangkok to Pensacola and spend some time in Gulf Shores prior to driving them by car to Indianapolis and spending some time there also. So what I intended was to price two one way tickets, Bangkok/Pensacola - Indianapolis / Bangkok. I figured it would be astronomically pricy but found that I could buy the two one way tickets cheaper than I could fly Bangkok / Indianapolis round trip. I asked the Delta Travel agent why and she told me there was a large special fare at this time for Pensacola fares. At any rate it worked out great for me, I did not get as good as fare as you but the two one way tickets ended up being around $1,400 which I thought was a good fare and good connections as going there a total of 22 hours and return just under 24 hours. It would have cost me $250 more dollars to fly round trip from Bangkok to Indianapolis.

Good to see Delta offer reasonable fares BKK to central U.S. especially since only Delta, United and American offer fares (UA / AA as codeshare). Usually when it comes to NY or CA - there is stiff competition but in the past, the interior U.S. is much higher due to lack of competition. I hope the tend continues. Merry Xmas !!

• Like 1