Demonstration Schools.....and specifically CMU?

bangmai

How do they function as far as foreign teachers? I live very close to the one at CMU, and it appears to be quite nice. This a place, where I could work for somewhat low pay, and still be content. Free rent and no commute. What would be a good way to approach this? Please share your Demonstration School experiences, and if you are familiar with CMU, even better. Thanks!

Satit at CMU is a secondary school. Grades 7-12 or M1-M6. For what they require for degrees and experience the pay is utter garbage. 40k a month for minimum of Bachelors of Education, Masters prefered, teacher's license in home country and experience. Why not work at an International school for double salary?

They had a position for DOS and only paid 50k but wanted a PhD.

I have had relatives study there and have had my middle school students go there for high school. I have also taught university students that went there. Overall, they are the best students you are going to find in Thailand. They are polite, diligent, honest and quite thoughtful.

If you have the correct academic background, qualifications and experience, then go make an appointment to talk to them. Emails don't usually give good results. Dress smart and bring copies of all your paperwork.

Satit at CMU is a secondary school. Grades 7-12 or M1-M6. For what they require for degrees and experience the pay is utter garbage. 40k a month for minimum of Bachelors of Education, Masters prefered, teacher's license in home country and experience. Why not work at an International school for double salary?

They had a position for DOS and only paid 50k but wanted a PhD.

I have had relatives study there and have had my middle school students go there for high school. I have also taught university students that went there. Overall, they are the best students you are going to find in Thailand. They are polite, diligent, honest and quite thoughtful.

If you have the correct academic background, qualifications and experience, then go make an appointment to talk to them. Emails don't usually give good results. Dress smart and bring copies of all your paperwork.

And please let your wife stay at home. thumbsup.gif

I'm a licensed Substitute, PK-12, in Arizona (since 1996). BBA in Management. My recent experiences are in Math test prep for ESL students. So, no B.Ed., but can produce verifiable Fingerprint Clearance Card from Arizona, and aforementioned license. I would be interested in tutoring them in groups after school, part-time, hourly, which can make the WP more tricky. I'm on a retirement visa, but look somewhat younger. Certainly, don't want to jeopardize that, my condo, or the 800K I had to put in the bank. I've run into people teaching at PRC and one or two others, and it seems like 25K per month is about the new standard, and that's for NES. Doesn't sound to promising, and I don't need any favors, but perhaps I should drop by the office on a trip across campus.

Any names of people to ask for would be appreciated. Subbing one or two days per week would be fine. What do they usually do, when a teacher can't make it?

Probably worth dropping by for a chat with the school. The salary sounds fine, you could probably earn more at an international school but would need to work harder too.

You'll have plenty of opportunities for additional classes too. I previously taught at MSU Prattom Satit and most of the students there were doing after school school, then heading to their tutors and doing weekend tutoring as well, I assume CMU Satit will have a similar focus on studying.

You should be fine teacher's licence wise (technically I'm not even sure if you need one as it's under the umbrella of the university), although you'll need to change your visa to a B or O (easy to do, the school can sort out the paperwork for a B for you) in order to get a work permit.

Teaching wise, I found most students to be excellent, and almost all of the students absolutely loved to learn English (Unlike my govt school where the boys are too cool for English). Some even loved studying English too much, as the school had a text/work book they wanted me to teach from, but many of the students were already finished the work before we even started class, as they did it with their tutors. Which gave me plenty of time to help the students who didn't have tutors, provided I had extra activities prepared for the students who had already done it.

That was Prattom though, not Mattayom, maybe they'll be different for you.