How Do You Feel About Your Kids Mixing With Thai Kids?

bowerboy

There is an Australian couple with 2 children living in the same housing village as us and after the first 2 weeks of seeing them often I never see them at the pool or playground in our village anymore.

I bumped into them the other day and asked why I never see them around any more and they told me quite simply that they don't want their children hanging out with or being around Thai kids because they felt the Thai kids were out of control and they did not want their kids picking up their bad habits. We live in a nice housing compound which is about 80% Thai and 20% farang and the Thai families are all professionals and all nice people.

That couple are teachers at a good international school and I am assuming they know more about kids and kids behaviour than I do. I had also long thought the Thai kids were completely out of control but I had no frame of reference, however know I do see it more clearly and I think the couple are 100% right to not want their kids hanging out with the Thai kids (again they are from nice families who are engineers and business people and go to nice schools).

My wife's nephew stayed with us for 2 weeks recently and at that time I said to her that in future holidays he could not stay with us again. He is a nice kid but at 11 years of age he is incredibly immature and i felt a bad influence to have around (not because he is a bad kid but rather that he is not a smart kid and I don't want my kids to see him as something to emulate).

My wife is Thai and so my kids are half Thai however now I think more about it I really don't want them spending any time with other Thai kids. At best they will never learn anything good from them and at worst it could seriously impede their progress.

What are other peoples thoughts on this matter? I know I will get the usual "move back to your own country" answers but would love to know the thoughts of people in the same situation as me (Thai wife with young kids that are likely to be spending time with Thai kids sooner or later).

Thanks for your thoughts and no offence intended with my question or thoughts on the matter.

Hi Lex Talionis

Yeah its a tough one for sure. I have discussed with her and she completely agrees about the Thai kids to be honest. The reality of not having them mix with other Thai kids is of course a completely different situation.

The reality is that if you are living in a country then it is unavoidable if your wife is Thai. Completely manageable and indeed likely though if you are an expat couple.

One solution is to move to a fully "expat" village or condo block I guess. Wouldn't be such a bad thing.

• Like 1

Hi Lex Talionis

Yeah its a tough one for sure. I have discussed with her and she completely agrees about the Thai kids to be honest. The reality of not having them mix with other Thai kids is of course a completely different situation.

The reality is that if you are living in a country then it is unavoidable if your wife is Thai. Completely manageable and indeed likely though if you are an expat couple.

One solution is to move to a fully "expat" village or condo block I guess. Wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I agree, based on what i have witnessed myself, that parenting skills are not a thing thais are very knowledgeable about, but to indicate that foreigners are good in it only, is way of the mark and rather racist. What i have seen is that most thai kids are very polite. Most likely you just have bad luck regarding the neighbourhood you live in.

One thing I have really noticed is that you never see the fathers at the pool or at the play ground (that does go for the western fathers with Thai wives too apart from me of course, seriously)...its always only ever the mothers that you see...the kids just pretty much run riot and are seldom given much guidance or told what or what not to do or what is or isn't correct behaviour. None wear bike helmets and none are supervised while playing (kids aged 3 and 4 riding bikes around the village and swimming in the pool completely unsupervised...such freedom is lovely to see for sure but at the same time it does seem a bit young to be unsupervised).

Yes it is indisputable that they are all polite kids..that is beyond question...they are nice kids on many levels. Its just the lack of control and lack of maturity that worries me....they do seem very far behind their "western" or "expat" counterparts in their demeanour and maturity.

I have been in Thailand for 11 years, and I have a walking cane and dark glasses to act blind and deaf. I once bumped into a Thai in BKK and went straight to the hospital!!! This kind of xenophobia is really outlandish, and I can't understand this kind of thinking. Yes, from me, I definitely say divorce your Thai wife immediately and let her live with an understanding person. Leave Thailand and never return, and hopefully it's not coming back to my country. I know this post will be deleted, but honestly you should really be ashamed.

Reading the subject of the post it reminds me of a Jordanian man I met in Aqaba who had spent years living and working in Germany but had moved back to Jordan with his son now that his son was just reaching teen age. I asked him why, and without hesitation and with sincerity he said that he didn't want his son to be exposed to the negatives of western culture at that very sensitive age, and felt he would be in a better overall climate of influence in Jordan. I was mixed in how I felt about it. On the one hand it seemed like a cheeky thing to say considering that I'm western myself, but on the other hand I quite understood his reasoning. It gets to the crux of the matter that many migrants are in another culture for what 'they' wish to get from it (for many, to earn money first and foremost let's be honest), and are very selective about what they expose either themselves or their children to. I think this applies also to western families moving to very different cultures. China towns, Little Indias, Little Britain's all pop up for a reason. Perhaps there is an initial interest in the culture being moved to, but the average migrant Pakistani or Chinese family in Britain is going to keep a tight hold on the reigns if they can manage it. I guess the Austrian couple will be in Thailand for what 'they' wish to get from it all and for their children, not the whole package, and will be no different from the aforementioned Jordanian man in this regard.

When he was young we lived in the UK so untill he was 12 he mixed with British kids of all classes ,well off and ordinary,they were all nice ,since coming here he mixes only with Thai young adults ,most seem very nice ,and very polite ,but their parents are all quite rich , As he has really never mixed with "ordinary" kids here like he did in the UK .He has turned out to be a nice young man so it is difficult to answer ,but from what i see most ordinary kids seem ok ,

My kids are Thai kids, and out with other Thai kids and Burmese kids every day.

I don't let them mix with farang kids though ..........

Not your country!

My son is 15 months old, half Thai - half Aussie, and just getting to the stage where he is mixing with other kids. I will encourage him to interact with any kids he wants to, let him make up his own mind who to be with. But I will ask him not to go near the Aussie kids mentioned in the op, they are too good for him.

As for the author of the op, your last sentence was a waste of time, as I am sure you would have offended most of the population.

• Like 1

Daughter goes to an International School and has to mix with both.

I cant shield her forever and even if we were back home there are kids all over the world that are a bad influence.

Remember my mother saying "I dont want you hanging around that boy he is a bad influence". That didnt work..he was the best man at my wedding.

Sent from my c64

• Like 2

One thing I have really noticed is that you never see the fathers at the pool or at the play ground (that does go for the western fathers with Thai wives too apart from me of course, seriously)...its always only ever the mothers that you see...the kids just pretty much run riot and are seldom given much guidance or told what or what not to do or what is or isn't correct behaviour. None wear bike helmets and none are supervised while playing (kids aged 3 and 4 riding bikes around the village and swimming in the pool completely unsupervised...such freedom is lovely to see for sure but at the same time it does seem a bit young to be unsupervised).

Yes it is indisputable that they are all polite kids..that is beyond question...they are nice kids on many levels. Its just the lack of control and lack of maturity that worries me....they do seem very far behind their "western" or "expat" counterparts in their demeanour and maturity.

Thai dad has to work 12hrs a day, 7 days a week.

Yep, not much free time to go out with the kids.

Retired western dad, on the other hand, has all the time in the world.

• Like 1