Jumbo quail

surinsteve

Just to add to this post --- I have seen plenty of adds for quail eggs on e. Bay but I know for a fact that quail eggs only last a max of 5 days before they loose there fertility and also x ray scans at airports rule out any imported eggs . So any suggestions ? .i have 2,000 plus ordinary quail now which are doing fine but I want to improve my stock by cross breeding with jumbo quail which are 25% larger than normal quail

As far as I know, I am the only one in Thailand with "Jumbo" quail. I would think that XLD1 quail would be 25% larger and my jumbos more than that. My layers average 300 grams and I just slaughtered a batch of males that were 49 days old and they averaged 170 grams dressed, however if you do not have a high protien (29%) grower feed you will probably not achieve this. Shipping does present a big problem, but I don't think it would be x-rays and I use eggs for up to 8 days for hatching. I have maled and received my mail eggs in Thailand and the take a beating and the hatch rate is low. I am still building my layer flock, I have 200 out of 400 layers I want. And I have just started my selective breeding program. PM me for more info.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply good info on the X-ray problem would you be interested in selling me a dozen or so fertile eggs

Where are you based ?

I need to weigh my layers to see if I'm near your 300 g but your 170 grams at 49 days is impressive

No problem with the feed I can improve on the 22 % I'm feeding now with live mealworms I'm experimenting with now

Look forward to your reply thank you Steve

Thanks for the reply good info on the X-ray problem would you be interested in selling me a dozen or so fertile eggs

Where are you based ?

I need to weigh my layers to see if I'm near your 300 g but your 170 grams at 49 days is impressive

No problem with the feed I can improve on the 22 % I'm feeding now with live mealworms I'm experimenting with now

Look forward to your reply thank you Steve

I just lost a long post before I could send so here is a short version. PM me for shipping and payment. I would like to hear details about your operation like fcr layer production, anything you might do different...... The Thai postal system is not gentle so picking up live birds is a safer bet, but I am in Petchabun so that is probably too far.

My keyboard is fubar so I can only post when I can barrow one. I am working things differently than most Thais do for my quail I got into this (again) to have a low cholesterol meat and the eggs do not have any of the bad cholesterol. It is the same reason I am doing rabbits. I am raising meat birds that with give me a profit on eggs. So far I have about half the layers I want and have just started selecting breeders. From each batch I select 2-4 of the largest girls and 1-2 largest boys at 4 weeks. I raise in cages with only one level and they have over 200 square cm per bird space. I mix my own feed so my male birds are organic ( I do not medicate or vaccinate any of my birds including my chickens). I have done a couple of samples and I get about 3.8 FCR to 5 weeks, my layers eat about 26 grams a day, they lay around 85-88 %, and their eggs run a hair over 12 grams (I weighed 114 egs today that did 12.28 grams). Because of their size they mature more slowly and I usually see the first eggs in week 7. This should give you an idea of my stock and I would like to hear the specks on your birds as well. PM me if you want to try to get a batch of eggs.