NO 30 day stamp in Mae Sai after extension

Im from the U.S. and I'm 60 years old and they did nnot even look at my previous stamps and visa they immediately rejected because of the extension. They were polite but adamant and I spoke to the supervisor as well. I enjoyed being in Mmae sai for a few hours very cool crisp weather up there and fortunately I went a week early so I have time to make another plan.

What do you mean you went a "week early so I have time to make another plan"

Did they not give you any days and just allowed your extension to continue despite your exiting Thailand?

He never left the country. They turned him around at departure immigration.

Mae Sai and other border crossings do it that way.

• Like 1

O-A is good for almost 2 years without even putting money in Thailand. The first year is multiple entry, and you can get re-entry permits anytime you leave during the second year. 200 usd, quack to stamp you don't have stage 3 Syphillis (2 is OK) 55 usd for that, and a form routinely handed out by your local PD, free. Or pay a visa agent about 13000 per year, and it will all be taken care of. 2 day turnaround at Consular services, DC....but Fedex to and from, and it is insured. Schools lose passports; embassies don't. You'd be more likely to get robbed in DC, than them losing your pp. Some like to do things the hard way.

I too was pushed at Mae Sai about two weeks ago. I finished my Non-B early (turned in work permit and paid 1,900baht for, THE MOST YOU CAN GET, 7 day extension. I chanced it because my place is in the North, but to no avail. The angry Capt. said, "You fly out!" No extensions, period. Luckily, I made it to the airport with a 2 day overstay without a problem. Immigration didn't charge me for it. That being said, I will Never, ever teach in Thailand on a Non-B again. Just thought I'd share.

Signed,

Happy to be back in the states for the holidays.

You did not have a Non-B , you had an extension of stay. You can't 'finish' a visa at Immigration.

Why would you never teach on a Non-B or an extension of stay based on employment ?

OP - devaram ... if you want to go in and out of Thailand - spending time mostly in - over a years time ... at age 50 or older a person is eligible for a Multi- Entry Non immigrant "O' Visa --- good for one year with a series of 90 day permissions of stay by exiting Thailand and re-entering...

But a Multi-Entry 'O' Visa for you has to be obtained at the Thai Embassy or Consulate in the U.S.

Or you can get one at a Royal Thai Honorary Consul General Office. I have the contact information for the Honorary Consul General offices in Honolulu, Hawaii, Portland Oregon and Dallas, Texas... There are others. The Fee is $200.00 There are no other requirements except you may be asked to show proof that you have enough money to travel the region and go in and out of Thailand for one year - enough to support yourself in your travels..

If you want to come back to Thailand and stay a long time -- actually up to 15 months of 90 days sequential stays -- then a round trip to Honolulu and back to Bangkok is not terribly expensive.

The retirement visa is a Non-OA not a Non-O.

Also, people are only eligible to apply for a visa, not actually eligible for the visa, that is at the Embassies or Consulates discretion, there is no right to a visa.

Im from the U.S. and I'm 60 years old and they did nnot even look at my previous stamps and visa they immediately rejected because of the extension. They were polite but adamant and I spoke to the supervisor as well. I enjoyed being in Mmae sai for a few hours very cool crisp weather up there and fortunately I went a week early so I have time to make another plan.

What do you mean you went a "week early so I have time to make another plan"

Did they not give you any days and just allowed your extension to continue despite your exiting Thailand?

He never left the country. They turned him around at departure immigration.

Mae Sai and other border crossings do it that way.

Thanks, misread the part about enjoying a couple hours there.

OP - devaram ... if you want to go in and out of Thailand - spending time mostly in - over a years time ... at age 50 or older a person is eligible for a Multi- Entry Non immigrant "O' Visa --- good for one year with a series of 90 day permissions of stay by exiting Thailand and re-entering...

But a Multi-Entry 'O' Visa for you has to be obtained at the Thai Embassy or Consulate in the U.S.

Or you can get one at a Royal Thai Honorary Consul General Office. I have the contact information for the Honorary Consul General offices in Honolulu, Hawaii, Portland Oregon and Dallas, Texas... There are others. The Fee is $200.00 There are no other requirements except you may be asked to show proof that you have enough money to travel the region and go in and out of Thailand for one year - enough to support yourself in your travels..

If you want to come back to Thailand and stay a long time -- actually up to 15 months of 90 days sequential stays -- then a round trip to Honolulu and back to Bangkok is not terribly expensive.

The retirement visa is a Non-OA not a Non-O.

Also, people are only eligible to apply for a visa, not actually eligible for the visa, that is at the Embassies or Consulates discretion, there is no right to a visa.

bigt116 - Are you replying to my Post or did you make a mistaken post? You used the word 'Retirement', I did not.

Please show me in the words, sentences and paragraphs in MY post where I mentioned the word 'Retirement' or even implied it.

The Non immigrant multi-entry 'O' Visa is a perfectly legitimate and useful option for a person of age 50 or older to visit Thailand and come and go in and out of Thailand for one year -- and can easily be timed to allow up to a 15 month period.

All Visas are instruments that when the application is approved and issued - a person can then present that visa at Thailand International Airport immigration or at a Thai border checkpoint which with subsequent approval by an IO allows them a permission of stay in Thailand for the prescribed period of time. Having to explain that each and ever time the word 'Visa' is mentioned is pedantic and unnecessary. Some people may believe that a visa will be automatically issued and that is guarantees entry and a permission of stay... but it is hardly worth discussing especially in this thread as that context has not arisen. Nor did my words imply such as I used the word "eligible" in my post.

The 'O-A' visa as you point out is another good option for OP along with the Non Imm Multi-Entry 'O' that I suggested.

The advantage of a Non Imm Multi-Entry 'O' Visa is low requirements - just being age 50 or over and show proof of financial capability of supporting oneself while visiting Thailand. The disadvantage is having to exit and reenter Thailand at least every 90 days to gain a new 90 day permission of stay. I have been using my Non Imm 'O' - Multi-Entry for nearly a year now and it has been extended by my timing of the last entry to nearly 15 months of stay - 99.9% of which has been inside Thailand.

The advantages of the Non Imm 'O-A' Visa are many but there is still the financial requirement of having funds equivalent to 800K Baht in a bank for the required period of time. The disadvantage for OP is that an 'O-A' Visa has to be obtained at a Thai Consulate or Embassy in his home country. Honorary Consul Generals such as the one in Hawaii cannot issue 'O-A' Visas... So a relatively quick flight to Honolulu from Bkk for a modest price is not in play as it seems that OP was looking for a timely solution to his situation.

Edited by JDGRUEN