TAT launches 'Thailand Only Selfie Contest'

webfact

Thai tourism launches selfie contest

BANGKOK, Thailand - Local travelers have been invited to enter the "Thailand Only Selfie Contest", which the Tourism Authority of Thailand hopes will help boost year-end tourism.

TAT Governor Thawatchai Arunyik said the campaign was part of the agency's social network marketing strategy.

The campaign will run during the New Year holiday from December 26 to January 4.

Local tourists can take a selfie at any tourist attraction in Thailand, except hometown attractions, and upload the photo via Instagram to FacebookFanpage/thailandonlyselfiecontest with Hastag#thailandonly. The sender must describe the attraction.

"The TAT set up this campaign to encourage those who love selfies especially when they're travelling to other places during the coming New Year festival," Thawatchai said.

Participants have the chance of winning travel packages in Thailand worth of Bt370,000. The biggest prize is a full-board package worth Bt100,000, while there will also be 10 popular-vote rewards.

The TAT will announce the winners on its website on January 20.

The agency has changed its focus to social networks as it is confident the selfie contest will draw a lot of locals because statistics show there are 93.4 million cell-phone numbers in use in Thailand, with 44.6 million of the total population of 65 million using the device.

This year, TAT predicted that domestic travel would reach 129 million trips, a slight increase from last year's figure.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/53872/thai-tourism-launches-selfie-contest

-- eTN 2014-12-22

Whatever else you say about TAT they certainly are trying hard and coming up with new ideas all the time.

Facebook is another thing, small minds talk about people, how small do they have to be to talk about themselves and tell the world of everything they do ?

• Like 1

Saw someone taking a picture of their cup of coffee this morning at breakfast in the hotel I'm at.

Just a cup of coffee they poured themselves from the buffet.

Can they enter it?

I'm not saying this whole taking pictures of every single thing you eat or drink has gone too far, but seriously......

I was sat in a pub last week, some woman walked in with a man friend. She got a drink and must have taken 5 pictures of it before taking a number of pictures of his drink. Once the food came up !!!! pictures from above, bar level, even got the bar man to take a picture of her sitting by the food.

I thought the excitement was never going to end.

Wait until they get to the sexpart of the date!!w00t.gif

Honest question: why do you live in Thailand, when you clearly hate it so much?

I love living in Thailand. However I do hate this whole "take a picture of your food and drink" phenomena.

Not just here, not just in Asia but everywhere.

Worldwide.

It's just plain stupid.

• Like 2

Un !@#%@!# believable. Thainess and desperation at its finest.

I thought it was mostly an asian thing to make selfies so much. Although this is a good idea to get people out to different tourist attractions i serioualy doubt it will encourage any would-be travellers to choose thailand as their destination nor do i think anyone visiting already would change their plans just to enter a selfie contest.

More likely this would only encourage people to take more selfies on their pre-scheduled trip