What is the + and - for on this Triton auto?

giddyup

No, it's for semi auto shifting, up each time for one gear and down each time to down shift 4 or 5 speed? You'll have to try it to find out how many gears? Likely 5.. It's Tip-Tronic style, put it in that position and you have to up shift and down shift manually, it will over-ride you though if you fail to shift and shift up or down as an auto, but only after some time it realizes your not shifting it. Synchro shift + = continually upshifting to top gear and then - = down shifting to lower gears.

Only 3 gears in that position, since it is meant for mountain driving.

Every gear is available.

That's what I figured too but since I don't own a pickup I was not going to argue. Regards for the confirmation.
So you figured wrong.

No, it's for semi auto shifting, up each time for one gear and down each time to down shift 4 or 5 speed? You'll have to try it to find out how many gears? Likely 5.. It's Tip-Tronic style, put it in that position and you have to up shift and down shift manually, it will over-ride you though if you fail to shift and shift up or down as an auto, but only after some time it realizes your not shifting it. Synchro shift + = continually upshifting to top gear and then - = down shifting to lower gears.
Only 3 gears in that position, since it is meant for mountain driving.

Every gear is available.
Could be, but on many cars, including mine, only a few lower gears are available, since they are the intended use.

You do know that if you are starting in a gear and then up shifting that eliminates 2 gears essentially being high and low as you are already in one gear and then reaching the top gear and not shifting past it, whether shifting down from high gear or shifting up from low gear, essentially with a 5 speed you are only shifting 3 times up and down, so you won't really be counting them in the shifts.. There is no neutral.

Never seen one that doesn't provide all the gears available in the gear box same as the auto, it is merely an alternative semi auto box effect through electronics, what you're describing sounds more like a 4 WD transmission, which has manual pulling or towing gears.

As o said, only a few lower gears available.

Every gear is available.

That's what I figured too but since I don't own a pickup I was not going to argue. Regards for the confirmation.
So you figured wrong.

Quite the knuckle head aren't you?? And a stubborn one at that, related to T/A are you?

• Like 1

No, it's for semi auto shifting, up each time for one gear and down each time to down shift.. it's Tip-Tronic style, put it in that position and you have to up shift and down shift manually, it will over-ride you though if you fail to shift and shift up or down as an auto, but only after some time it realizes your not shifting it.

Fink that is what I said..........thumbsup.gif

No you didn't!

• Like 1

Well ive just put it into Park,now the Music goes up n down,not gettin any nearer the kerb though.sad.png .Must get a Handbook in Portuguese.biggrin.png

Permission to be as stupid as you like, the sensible answers have already been given.

Agh inking just a little common sense I would say it is n up or down gear movement, ie going up a hill click the - minus and will knock it down 1 gear, wanting to pass another car quickly, put your foot down and click the minus, click the + to go up 1 gear.

"common sense" is not very common!

• Like 1

When in "D" mode the dashboard display shows "D".

If you move the selector to the left-hand position the dashboard display changes and shows the actual gear you are in, by number. Pushing up or down allows you to manually select either the next higher or next lower gear, but the electronics will not allow you to select a gear which would cause the engine to run outside the normal number of revs or in a gear that would not provide power in the normal range.

I would say that it's only really of any use when travelling at a speed that would cause the auto box to switch up and down between the same two gears endlessly. So perhaps at low speed on a very bad road, or going uphill when heavily laden.

If you move the selector to the left-hand position the dashboard display changes and shows the actual gear you are in, by number. Pushing up or down allows you to manually select either the next higher or next lower gear, but the electronics will not allow you to select a gear which would cause the engine to run outside the normal number of revs or in a gear that would not provide power in the normal range.

I would say that it's only really of any use when travelling at a speed that would cause the auto box to switch up and down between the same two gears endlessly. So perhaps at low speed on a very bad road, or going uphill when heavily laden.

Thanks again. As I said before, can't see I'll give that feature much use, but still handy to know.

Traveling downhill to brake on the engine.

Have the same thing on our old PJS, at first I never used it - but now whenever I step back into it from my newer ride, I use it all the time, LOL. I find it especially useful for pre-selecting 3rd when you want to make an overtaking move starting from 90-100km/hr - which saves almost a second of kick-down time.

• Like 2

You can download car manuals in most languages.

Apart from that my humble Nissan Almera has a 'sport' button that I only use in Bangkok where it pays to be nippy or in the hills. Traveling at the same speed, engine revs go up by about 1000.

sent from phone using bih thumbs

Have the same thing on our old PJS, at first I never used it - but now whenever I step back into it from my newer ride, I use it all the time, LOL. I find it especially useful for pre-selecting 3rd when you want to make an overtaking move starting from 90-100km/hr - which saves almost a second of kick-down time.

Hope You use that Second wisely.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Hope You use that Second wisely.biggrin.png

One second counts with that amount of HP ;)

• Like 1

Cheers, don't think I'll be using it too much.

No one does. Except those with their Cap on Backwardsgiggle.gif .

Or those who have had many years of operating motor vehicles but very little actual experience driving.

You know, the people that cannot understand brake fade when travelling downhill for extended periods while riding the brakes, and go in to shock when they are rapidly approaching the back end a truck with nothing left in the brake pedal, wishing they had understood the basics of engine braking.

The + - allows you to go to manual override of the gearbox computer and use the engine as you see fit. Depending on motor revs/road speed the shift you desire may be denied to protect the engine, but with common sense it can be a very useful feature.

For example if there is a risk of becoming bogged, some auto overrides allow for a third gear start reducing the likelihood of wheel spin.

Another use can be when towing a heavy load and the gearbox continuously changes up down a gear, the manual override can be used to select and stay in a certain gear.

It is simply another tool for the driver to use if so desired.

Edit to add:

If you want "normal"auto just select D

If you want "manual" slect D then push the gear shift to the left, then up and down as you like. Have a play with it, you will soon work it out and can't do any damage.

The Fortuner manual I have read, even mentions to use the transmission via manual selection using engine breaking to assist normal braking,

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

The problem I've encountered with using those trannies for engine braking is that they have rev limiters that will override your shift if it doesn't like the revs you're shifting at, that's not a true engine brake.

It will stay in the selected gear.

I tried that once and it didnt seem to work, which is why I didnt mention it, and I always assumed that it was designed not to do that for the reasons I gave. It certainly does work in the two situations I describe, not that I have ever used the feature apart from for testing. Saving a second when overtaking isn't a problem for me: I'm not in that much of a hurry and on Thai roads I would only overtake if the road ahead is completely clear.

Also I have read elsewhere that auto gearboxes should not be forced into engine breaking though I imagine that there are two or more sides to that argument.

I will try it again some time, if I remember.

• Like 1

Manually shifting an auto trans can give reasonable engine braking and is very useful for holding speed on long down hill grades / mountain roads etc. This avoids continually using the brakes and potential brake fade, especially if heavily loaded. The Mitsu has the tiptronic style shifter while conventional auto shifters like in the Fortuner etc do the same by selecting D3, 2 or L etc.

The Mitsu trans will select manual mode when the shift lever is in the left position or if the paddle shifters are used. For the paddle shifters, it will return to auto mode if the speed drops close to zero or if the right paddle shifter is held back for a second or two.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

The problem I've encountered with using those trannies for engine braking is that they have rev limiters that will override your shift if it doesn't like the revs you're shifting at, that's not a true engine brake.

NO it won't.. But thanks for your contribution..

NO it won't.. But thanks for your contribution..

Strange, since I use this engine braking often when going downhill, and it always stays in the selected gear.

But maybe you have a vast experience with this, oh wait, you're the guy who knew nothing of the subject in the beginning.

Really? Hmm I thought it was MY post that explained it's purpose?? Yeah, there it is post #4 in black and white print, right after your cryptic post about going down hill [?] but no real explanation. (Which FYI is not the entire purpose but merely one example of how to use it which was NOT the OP's question, BTW how do you get an engine brake out of a diesel semi-auto or not? Not suggesting it's on a diesel mind, just wondering if it was on a diesel how would it work?) Never mind rhetorical question as ALL auto's provide some engine brake with the exception of a diesel. I guess since you seem to be doing the same, (going down hill that is) you got my post somehow mixed up with T/A's?

BTW I never said I didn't know about the tranny, I said I don't own a farmers truck, I'm well versed on how it operates, as my post demonstrates.. The tranny has a limiter and if you over rev it, it will shift to save your engine, just because you haven't done that yet doesn't mean it WON'T do it.. Another epic fail on your part.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

General comment. Most modern autos have an overspeed feature, regardless of gear selection. Get to know your vehicle. A good start is read the factory manual first. I have a MU7 which has an automatic gradient feature (my words) and the transmission will shift down by itself at lower speeds on an steep decent

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

Yes they do when fitted with an exhaust brake or engine brake / jake brake.

Higher compression does not make much difference in light diesels like the Triton because without a Jake brake, the compressed charge acts like a spring on the expansion stroke.

The engine braking effect with light diesels is mostly from pumping losses.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1