Name that bird - all black with very long tail

simon43

Alas, no photos. I spotted a pair of these birds in the rubber trees next to my Phuket hotel.

The bird is medium-large, about the size of aBritish Magpie. It seems to be completely black. It sits in the rubber trees and flies between different trees, displaying a very long feathered tail, about the same length as the body of the bird - (so this seems the most identifiable feature).

Any Ornithon.. ortnithorn... bird-watchers know what this bird might be?

It's not a Drongo. From the Google photos, that bird has a very small tail when compared to this bird. As I watch it sitting in the rubber trees, its tail hangs down about 20cm in length, appearing thin at the body point and most of the tail length, then widening out at the tip.

Got it!

Racket-tailed treepie

As the Google description says, it is oily green, but looks black in the dim light of the rubber plantation.

post-174-0-43413900-1419240998_thumb.jpg

Edited by simon43

Notwithstanding this thread's usual quota of idiots (now, now, it's Christmas!), it sounds more like a male Koel, or rather two male Koels. I saw a pair together the other day, having a chat (well, that's exactly what it looked like). Common, and very noisy and repetitive.

Their flight pattern is like an ocean wave, wings flapping and rising up in the air then stalling and dropping down a little and flapping and rising up again. They eventually get there.

Yes, this was definitely their flying pattern until I shot them - an 'ex' Greater Racket-Tailed Drongo it is - I mean was smile.png

As least it won't be wasted for the cooking pot. As my 'Issan' ex always says ' The tastiest bits are the eyes'

(Many jokes above, but truthful about the ex)

Edited by simon43

to this day, I have not met cypress hill, would not know him if I fell over him ... I was at Walkabout Creek Pub (Pattaya) twice on the 16th ...

I think there is a clear distinction between having a go at someone (Aussies like attacking humour), but not the stand over bullshit; ThaiVisa has been both a blessing and a curse, but I have learned a lot about myself (and how to conduct myself better) by reading the many articulations of people speaking frankly ... all the best for Christmas

Notwithstanding this thread's usual quota of idiots (now, now, it's Christmas!), it sounds more like a male Koel, or rather two male Koels. I saw a pair together the other day, having a chat (well, that's exactly what it looked like). Common, and very noisy and repetitive.

On e of the stupid buggers flew into the wall of my house and knocked itself out, it then started puking up red berries it had eaten, I wrapped it in a towel and covered its head, 5 minutes later it was ok and flew off, fantastic red eyes, devil like!!!