I almost ate a larvae from a Big C bread today

balo

Yes the larvae was dead and I had prepared a nice sandwich, then I felt something hard between my teeth, it was the head of the larvae, First I spit out the head then I found the rest of the body in my mouth,

It was disgusting but thankfully it was dead and I didn't swallow it,

Most probably the larvae must have been alive before they baked the bread in the oven . This was the sour country bread they make at Big C Extra, pattaya klang.

I normally buy my bread at the german bakery but this time I just wanted to test the bread so I bought it,

It tasted quite good actually, except for the larvae part. Don't think I will eat more of it.

So how did this bugger end up in the bread in the first place, maybe from the flour ?

And what type of bug is this ? The length of it is about 2 cm.

IMG_20141223_013335.jpg

I often eat their sour dough. So for luckily no problems. If you have some time on your hands, you could inform the French baker about the problem. There is a chance that this is not an isolated case and that their storage is contaminated or that of their supplier. I found the French baker to be very reasonable and open for comment. THis way this ugly story could help to improve the situation in the interest of all customers.

• Like 1

That round country sour bread is one of my favorites...almost as good as real San Francisco Sourdough. Can't say I've even had a larvae side in my bread that I know of but as others have said, surely completely harmless and certainly sterilized by the baking process. Yep, the markets here are full roaches but they gotta eat too and being the tropics there's not much anyone can do about them.

• Like 1

Actually I did try it with butter , but that was before I knew what I was chewing on.....

And I agree with other posters , its a good bread but not as good as the bread from the german bakery

• Like 1

Actually I did try it with butter , but that was before I knew what I was chewing on.....

And I agree with other posters , its a good bread but not as good as the bread from the german bakery

Which German bakery are you referring to...and do they make a good sourdough bread? Most of the German breads I've seen around town are dark rye and other whole grain type breads.

German bakery isn't going to save you. Ithe was probably in the flour itself.

I think that's pretty clear because it looks like a larval stage and not an adult insect. Isn't this the reason most bakeries sift their flour before baking...to remove impurities like bugs, small stones, and stuff. Seems like someone at Big C didn't follow protocol.