Price of 250ml carton of milk to go up Bt0.25

webfact

Price of 250ml carton of milk to go up Bt0.25
Petchanet Pratruangkrai,
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Commerce Ministry will soon allow milk producers to increase retail prices by 25 satang per 250-millimetre carton because of the higher cost of raw milk.

Meanwhile, the ministry has announced it will closely monitor New Year gift baskets in an attempt to prevent vendors from charging unfair prices and selling low-quality products.

Boonyarit Kalayanamit, director-general of the Internal Trade Department, said the ministry needed to approve milk-price increases, including for pasteurised and UHT (ultra-high-temperature processed) milk, because of an increase in the cost of raw milk.

"If the government did not allow an increase in the retail price of fresh milk, it would cause difficulties for farmers," he said. "However, the ministry will base its approval of the price increases on the fact that it's an essential product and the impact on consumers will be minimal." This month the Cabinet approved increasing the price of raw milk from Bt18 to Bt19 per kilogram. The aim was to boost farmers' incomes after the price had been frozen for more than a year.

Boonyarit said his department would place more emphasis on examining gift baskets in a bid to ensure fairness to consumers. The inspections began early this month and will run until the end of the New Year festival.

Traders must abide by the law and display a list of the goods in the basket, including their prices, expiry dates, the cost of the basket and the service fee.

The department will also increase inspections of product prices at bus terminals and train stations this holiday period, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Price-of-250ml-carton-of-milk-to-go-up-Bt0-25-30250428.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-23

Here some items are control by the government and I think it's time to open free market as next year AEC already starting open up it's market. Too pamper by giving too much subsidy at the end it's hurting them.

Orange imported with heavy duty tax compare with low grade local orange, where something good for health should not be taxed. Milk help to build where basic daily intake for the whole country should not increase and open import compitition for benefit of the people.

Drinking milk in Thai soceity only for middle and upper income families where a bottle of 1 liter nearly 100 Baht on current price not all people are afford to buy it.

Went shopping at Big C Extra on Saturday, the milk I buy had gone up 1 baht, now 201 baht [5lt bottle] oddly the yogurt I buy had gone down 2 baht per pack of 4.. noticed a lot of items had gone up........... is that ready for the big sale ??

unrelated to milk but chicken thighs were down to 45 baht per kg, so have 10 kg in the freezer.

when the price went up for milk no idea, as 2 weeks before did the shop at Makro.. is milk price going up again ?

For me normal big shop at Big C Extra every other week, and Makro every 3 - 4 months [is over 100 KM trip but spend 8 - 10,000 baht so worth it] ... Milk I buy at Makro 16 days ago was still the same price 188 baht..

Went shopping at Big C Extra on Saturday, the milk I buy had gone up 1 baht, now 201 baht [5lt bottle] oddly the yogurt I buy had gone down 2 baht per pack of 4.. noticed a lot of items had gone up........... is that ready for the big sale ??

unrelated to milk but chicken thighs were down to 45 baht per kg, so have 10 kg in the freezer.

when the price went up for milk no idea, as 2 weeks before did the shop at Makro.. is milk price going up again ?

For me normal big shop at Big C Extra every other week, and Makro every 3 - 4 months [is over 100 KM trip but spend 8 - 10,000 baht so worth it] ... Milk I buy at Makro 16 days ago was still the same price 188 baht..

What milk?

Foremost or Dutch Mill = made from imported milk powder, no Thai dairy or farmers involved with this product

Chok Chai or Meiji = real milk (but some claim 10% water added)

What milk?

Foremost or Dutch Mill = made from imported milk powder, no Thai dairy or farmers involved with this product

buy 5lt blue top Meiji....... of course for some of us propper milk = top 1/3 of bottle is cream

Drinking milk in Thai soceity only for middle and upper income families where a bottle of 1 liter nearly 100 Baht on current price not all people are afford to buy it.

Maybe you're referring to fresh full cream milk but 2 litre low fat milk like Meiji sells on average for 80-90 baht, the 830ml for 44 baht in the places I shop. Most Thais I know don't drink regular milk because either they don't like the taste or it doesn't agree with them (lactose intolerance) so they will drink soy milk if at all. When they do buy regular milk it's often the 250ml packs because that is enough for them unlike western people used to drinking it in much larger quantities.

Even after more than 11 years here still have Cereal every day for breakfast, these cold mornings it's porridge..

Just cannot face Curry or any other rice dish for breakfast, so yes guess western people are used to having milk..

What milk?

Yes the milk tastes watered down to me. It has no flavor and sometimes it tastes like it has gone bad but my Thai g/f assures me that it has not. I can still remember in Canada when the milkman came every day with milk in a glass bottle now that was milk. Well back to work on my time machine.

• Like 2

In November 2014 the Milk Board suggested the Junta come up with an assistance scheme that pays dairy farmers 1,000 baht per cow, with a limit of 15,000 baht each. Seeing as the Junta is already giving similar subsidies to rubber and rice farmers after a little public pressure, it'll just be a matter of months for milk farmers to get their share of Junta "gifts."

Here some items are control by the government and I think it's time to open free market as next year AEC already starting open up it's market. Too pamper by giving too much subsidy at the end it's hurting them.

Orange imported with heavy duty tax compare with low grade local orange, where something good for health should not be taxed. Milk help to build where basic daily intake for the whole country should not increase and open import compitition for benefit of the people.

I guess it depends on the brand and add-ins, but for 50 Baht you can still get 4 250ml packs of milk, in the 7/11 here in Bangkok.

Mind you, the kids I see seem to like the 'flavored' milk and most of the kids in my neighbourhood are not from middle or upper class.

In November 2014 the Milk Board suggested the Junta come up with an assistance scheme that pays dairy farmers 1,000 baht per cow, with a limit of 15,000 baht each. Seeing as the Junta is already giving similar subsidies to rubber and rice farmers after a little public pressure, it'll just be a matter of months for milk farmers to get their share of Junta "gifts."

Absolutely.

Mind you, people keep telling me the 'self-financing' RPPS should be seen as a subsidy. At least this government has made provisions within the National Budget.

I noticed yesterday that a liter of milk in Foodland is 91.25 baht compared to 89.5 baht last week.

Let me correct myself....I should have said 2 liter bottle of Meeji whole milk, not 1 liter. And at the beginning of 2014 a 2 liter bottle was running around 84 baht.

Why is milk in Thailand almost double the price of Australia? Thailand's production costs are lower.

Maybe, maybe not.

Australia with a third of Thailand's population probably consume a lot more milk so economies of scale and hi-tech production. You also have the leading supermarkets slashing the price of milk to attract customers.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-high-cost-of-cheap-milk-20130328-2gxb4.html

Yorkies pies have gone up from 119 to 225 baht each in Villa market. That's 250p for a pie. Less than half of that in England.

This certainly isn't a cheap place to live if you want to eat proper food. And don't even think of buying cheese.

then live where cheese is cheap !

Make your own pies, very cheap then.

Cheese is a bit of a problem, not that easy to make yourself.

Crazy price here for milk. It's about half in the UK.

I think you will find if you convert prices back into your own currency it is not all that cheap here.

Used to be many years ago but not so much now.

Milk in the Uk, from Tesco.com, 50bht for 2l (25/l) of whole milk Vs 82bht (42/l) here.

But if you buy from the Thai dairy, raw milk is 125bht for 5l (25/l)

So you can buy it for the same price as in the UK with a little bit of effort.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=milk&newSort=true&search=Search

On the other hand Soy milk is twice the price in the UK.

Thais like Soy not Cow, Sooy is sold in bulk so cheaper.

It's to do with supply and demand.

Low supply items always cost more.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican