is just smiling insted of saying hallo rude to thais

crickets

i like to give a nod of the head, the half hearted military salute this brings a grin and even a smart salute at times. deoends on who your dealing with in part but so far its been accepted. i have pointed out that a wai hand shake or salute is kind of a waste of time if done each time you encounter the same person during the day so manners/respect were taken out of the equation for the most oart, thus no one insulted.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-When encountering farangs: I nod my head and say "Hi" with a smile.

-When meeting Thai's in an everyday situation: I slowly nod my head and say watdee kapp with a smile.

-When meeting Thai's in a classy setting or who are in a senior/higher position: I give them the full Sawasdee: clasping my hands together, bowing and saying "Sawasdee kaap".

-When I meet Hisos I raise my chin and ask "What do you want?"

See, I've never understood this. This is not a pop at you by the way Stan.

Why is it the people in a "higher position" deserve a "full" Sawadee Kap over a Thai in an "everyday" situation?

In my school, this is not considered rude. Though, my bosses are very down to earth anyway.

The director of our school, treats the western teachers more like friends, or equals, and encourages us to be relaxed around him.

If we were grovelling at his feet every time he saw us, this wouldn't be possible. The Thai teachers who wai excessively get treated with disregard, which makes sense. It's a bit of a relationship stopper and hard to respect someone kissing your feet all day long.

A wai now and again though is enough.

Edited by EmptyHead

-When meeting Thai's in an everyday situation: I slowly nod my head and say watdee kapp with a smile.

-When meeting Thai's in a classy setting or who are in a senior/higher position: I give them the full Sawasdee: clasping my hands together, bowing and saying "Sawasdee kaap".

Why is it the people in a "higher position" deserve a "full" Sawadee Kap over a Thai in an "everyday" situation?

I save my biggest wai for bar girls, when I walk into the bar I have my hands clasp together above my headhead.

I often don't wai my superiors. No problem. Sometimes i wai other times not. Most of them just smile and say hello to me know, but if i wai, they will wai back (including the director...his one handed wai while carrying a bag in other other hand is the best)

My staff, when they come in the morning, they wai the kings picture, the Buddhist thing, my wife and me. When they leave they do the same. And they partially wai each other.

So a lot waiing all the time.....

you speak too much laugh.png

-When encountering farangs: I ignore them.

-When meeting Thai's in an everyday situation: I do nothing, ignore them

-When meeting Thai's in a classy setting or who are in a senior/higher position: I do a minimal smile

-When I meet Hisos: I ignore them

-When I get greeted with a wai I wai back

-When I get greeted with a "Sawadee krap" I get angry because I have no other choice than opening my mouth and "Sawadee krap" back with a smile.....

OP:

No offense, but if you're teaching English, another possible explanation for why others are giving you unwelcoming vibes might be because your written English is riddled with grammatical and spelling errors, and the students have taken notice and started complaining to other teachers and administrators. Just something you might want to consider.

If that was the case, he would not last long in the job. In any school, there are always students who go to a language school at weekends and holidays. and

they would soon know if their teacher was regularly making mistakes, thus so would all the other Thai teachers.

I guess it's a social norm for Thais?