14 injured on Osaka-Singapore flight due to sudden severe turbulence

webfact

14 injured on Osaka-Singapore flight due to sudden severe turbulence

24-12-2557-10-33-47-wpcf_728x406.jpg

SINGAPORE: -- A total of 14 passengers and crew were injured after sudden severe turbulence hit a Singapore Airlines (SIA) flight from Osaka, which landed in Singapore on Tuesday morning, The Straits Times reported.

Flight SQ615, which departed on Monday night from Osaka at 11.30pm local time, landed on schedule at Changi Airport at 5.17am on Tuesday.

A SIA spokesman said medical personnel, airline staff, as well as staff of ground services provider Sats and Changi Airport Group were on standby to help when the aircraft arrived. Those who were injured were assessed by a doctor and taken to the transit clinic at Terminal 2.

When asked where and when the turbulence occurred, the SIA spokesman said the airline has no specific details yet.

There were 268 passengers, including two infants and 13 crew members on the flight.

Those who were injured had suffered injuries to the head and neck, with some having cuts on the hands and legs.

All patients were released after treatment, except for one patient, who was referred to a hospital for further examination due to a previous neck injury.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/14-injured-osaka-singapore-flight-due-sudden-severe-turbulence

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-24

Nasty! I always cringe on hearing the multitude of buckles unclasping when the fast your seatbelt light goes out. Keep em buckled up, chaps, esp if you have kids. wink.png

I always wonder about that. I mean, is a seatbelt *that* uncomfortable? I feel naked without one, even in the car, so you can imagine how great I am as a passenger in a BKK taxi. I was reading something about plane crashes that said your best chance of survival if you somehow end up outside the plane is to still be in your seat to "break" your fall. :/

Also, though this turbulence is crazy scary, it makes me feel better about the resilience of aircraft. For me the people screaming their faces off is the worst part.

• Like 2

Nasty! I always cringe on hearing the multitude of buckles unclasping when the fast your seatbelt light goes out. Keep em buckled up, chaps, esp if you have kids. wink.png

I always wonder about that. I mean, is a seatbelt *that* uncomfortable? I feel naked without one, even in the car, so you can imagine how great I am as a passenger in a BKK taxi. I was reading something about plane crashes that said your best chance of survival if you somehow end up outside the plane is to still be in your seat to "break" your fall. :/

Also, though this turbulence is crazy scary, it makes me feel better about the resilience of aircraft. For me the people screaming their faces off is the worst part.

Agreed, I often loosen it right off, but still have it fastened. With the car also, it's almost instinct to fasten it as soon as I sit in the seat, no big discomfort or inconvenience.

I did go up in a Jet-Provost trainer back in 2000 in the UK, the pilot did his full aerobatic thing w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInIXuJTMTAZ (above the clouds, he wasn't really supposed to do this with passengers). However, this is whilst I was sat beside him in the dual controlled aircraft, very different for me in severe turbulence on an airliner.

The last two times I used the bus from BKK airport to Pattaya, before we departed one of the agents came down the aisle repeating "Fasten your belts." Yesterday, the agent even had a sign with the message and a picture, as well.

• Like 1

whistling.gif I was on a flight from San Francisco to Boston, Mass about 20 years ago.

There was an "incident" where we dropped about 2000 feet (well that's what the pilot announced anyhow) just after we left the Rocky mountains and started over the Great Plains.

I had my belt fastened, and even so it was frightening to fall that rapidly.

The flight attendants had just cleared my dinner tray, some only 4 or 5 rows in front of me still had their trays.

For them it was latterly a "messy" situation.

The whole affair lasted only about 30 seconds or so, but just long enough for me to wonder, "Oh H - ll, I wonder if this falling is going to stop or not."

Fortunately, it did.

Clear Air Turbulence, the Pilot said.

I'll be honest, it scared the h - ll out of me.

I was on a flight to Hong Kong and encountered turbulence. The pilot told people to put the seatbelt on and there was some rocking. Some people did not buckle up. Then all of a sudden the plane dropped a few thousand feet and anybody not belted hit the ceiling of the plane and then were violently thrown on the floor. Very scary and several injuries on that flight. I do as others do and keep the belt on!

I was on a united flight which lodged as one of the worst mid air turbulence incidents in the US. We were at cruising altitude with the seat belt sign off when all of a sudden we rapidly descended 10,000 feet. I had just woken up and noted the persons not buckled in bounced about in the cabin like rag dolls. We are talking about persons flying from their seats with enough force that their heads penetrated the luggage compartments and they ended up on the opposite side of the plane. We were going to make an emergency landing in Cuba but the captain decided against that and we limped to Miami International. We ended up with about 30 persons in the hospital and I believe one fatality that was smashed by the liquor cart.

This was not a problem for me because I always stay buckled up.

Cheers,

Kurt

I can only agree with all the comments about staying buckled up and I have done many 1000s of air kilometres since my days in the Air Force. My Thai companion is a nurse and I find it very hard to convince her to buckle up in a taxi! If the carers don't care what hope is there for others to do the right thing? Perhaps life is cheap in Asian cultures sad.png

There is a reason why passengers are advised to keep their seatbelts fastened when they are seated, even if the 'fasten seatbelt' sign is switched off. I don't believe the seatbelt is so uncomfortable you have to unbuckle it the moment the light goes out. Sheesh...

Anyway, lucky nothing more serious happened to the flight, thank goodness.