dog stopping golf driver minus head

n210mp

I picked up a solid piece of bamboo the other day to keep for hitting vicious soi dogs and was actually thinking of a baseball bat. IN Big C they sell a electrifying stick which looks good too. What about a cattle prod - any idea how much they cost?

I gave up cycling here after being chased and bitten by a dog. And I got bitten walking around the village with my daughter.. The owner said it didn't like white.

Got an exercise bike instead now.

Thats really sad JIm and I also know people who are scared of dogs who dont join my mate Rob and myself because of the same reasoning

Does it ever occur to you two crackpots and your liker that a sharp rap on the snoz from a deterrent source like the golf shaft may well deter these silly dogs from attacking not only cyclists but walkers and anyone else that they decide to have a go at?

This surely can only be a good thing, the dogs learn a lesson!

Do you think that my action s to be cruel or somehow villainous?

If you do then you are bigger fools than I give you credit for

You obviously are keyboard warriors and sit at your keyboards making ill thought out moral and instant misjudgements.

just look at your post counts and this in itself tells me more about you than anything bad you can say about what should happen to me when at the end of the day I am DEFENDING MYSELF

It seem the more you post the more you develop a "holier than thou attitude!"

Please post less and think about what you are going to say before making silly and innocuous statements about something you apparently know little about!

Give us a rest from sanctimonious posts and remember that you too, if you ever get off your fat <deleted>, leave your TV addiction at home to ride a bike or go for a walk that you could be the next victim of the chasing biting dogs!

Your snide and malicious posts have little effect on anyone who has a brain and who has daily knowledge of just how dangerous these Soi dogs are and can be and for your information I am a doggy lover and have two dogs of my own, they dont chase cars, bikes or cyclists but you just try to get into our property and you will soon find out whether they can bite or not!

Oh and merry Christmas and a happy new year

I have exactly the same but don't ride a bike but good idea OP. It is good for whacking dogs, kids and even a wild pig once My old man also used it as a walking stick. I think my wife used it to whack a carpet.

Thanks for the post Neeranam, it seems that the dilettantes are running the asylum once again .

And to add further to my violently extreme post I would like the "likers" of those two dissenters to my thread to make some logical and sensible comment on how its its possible to stop the attack of a murderous pack of hounds trying to take a piece out of you when you are peaceably just going about your lawful pursuits such as walking, cycling or motor biking?

Giving a like is easy, giving a well thought out solution means using your brain and not your mouse!

I can live in hope though.

Like I said previously these people have never experienced the furore of a pack of soi dogs, maybe they can say sweet things to them to stop the attack eh or explain to the dogs how it is wrong to attack poor defenceless people, they would be torn to bits in their attempts but you know the old expressions always carry weight with me Neeranam, " Once bitten twice shy"

Thank you for making me like ND and Pigeonjake.

Its funny to see how some posters gear up for WW3 and keep getting new ways to hurt and kill dogs and are proud about it to post it online. This is Thailand there are loads of dogs out there accept it its not going away. You don't see Thais with weapons going after the dogs but you do see foreigners doing this. They feel its their right.. crazy.

I been up and around Thailand for quite a while seen many dogs had 1 scary situation with them. That was mainly because I was like the OP waving a object at them and acting scared. They loved that only got them more mad.

But read about foreigners poisoning dogs quite often, recently one of the sweetest dogs around here died of poisoning though I doubt it was a foreigner doing this (not many of us here 2 or so) most of the Thais here were appealed by the poisoning of that dog. Thailand is not the west dogs roam free here and for the most part they don't harm people (else you would be reading about it on a day to day base in the newspapers)

Would you like a picture of my Thai neighbour who jogs daily with her big bamboo dog whacking stick.Its not there for show I assure you.

Dogs that bite here dont last long the Thais are just as happy to poison them discreetly.

Edited by kannot

Would you like a picture of my Thai neighbour who jogs daily with her big bamboo dog whacking stick.Its not there for show I assure you.

Dogs that bite here dont last long the Thais are just as happy to poison them discreetly.

There are probably Thais who get a big bamboo walking stick but most don't. Its not like the discussions that i have seen here by farangs about what are the best weapons to go after dogs. Foreigners just seem to overdo it.

As for poison, recently a dog got poisoned here in the village. sweetest dog around did not bark or bite. Bastards hope they die in pain themselves. No greater cowards as those who poison animals.

Edited by robblok

Clearly a guy response...if it bothers you - bash it! Utterly pathetic. Until you've actually tried what I suggest how do you know it doesn't work!!! I am a small woman who has to deal with some very aggressive dogs every day. Not only do I have that challenge I have the added fun of walking my own dogs past the Moobaan gangs without being attacked. Armed with a large bag of treats I practically never have a problem. It has worked even with a previously aggressive pit bull who my neighbour's are terrified of. He actually walks part of the way with us now. I can absolutely guarantee if I had tried to hit or threaten him I would have been attacked. But go ahead - do the macho thing - just keep stoking the animosity & see where that gets you!

• Like 1

Some real numpties here, who need reminding.... no one is going out of their way to hit dogs. People are simply defending themselves when being attacked by aggresive dogs. We have a right to go for walks or go cycling without fear of being bitten by a dog. Not all of us have grown up with a dog as a pet.

Some of you need to get off your high horse and stop pretending you're some sort of a knight in shining armour in defence of dogs. This thread is about defending yourself against attacking dogs. Nothing more.

• Like 2

One would look a right plonker cycling around with a sawn off golf driver sticking out the front of a bike, I'll clue ya? wink.png

I cycle about 5 or 600 km a month and may encounter an aggressive dog about once or twice a year! If you pick your cycle routes well and ignore the mutts, they'll not usually give any trouble. In the odd case I have just used my extendable tire pump that clips neatly to the frame and wacked a mutt on the nonce. That mutt respected me on the return trip, and did the owner who let it out the house to chase me did too.

One would look a right plonker cycling around with a sawn off golf driver sticking out the front of a bike, I'll clue ya? wink.png

I cycle about 5 or 600 km a month and may encounter an aggressive dog about once or twice a year! If you pick your cycle routes well and ignore the mutts, they'll not usually give any trouble. In the odd case I have just used my extendable tire pump that clips neatly to the frame and wacked a mutt on the nonce. That mutt respected me on the return trip, and did the owner who let it out the house to chase me did too.

You are the right plonker here.

So its OK to use an extended bike pump that probably weighs much more than a 300 gram golf shaft

READ the OP you numpty and you will see a description of the circumstances.

In Any event tested it this morning with I think the same dog that caused me to go this way and waving the shaft about seemed to do the trick and the dog albeit alone this time backed off immediately

Purpose achieved and I don't believe your story about doing 600K a month and not having more than two problems a month, where do you ride your bike on the 7 motorway?

In any event ,you did by hitting the dog you describe ,only what I will do when confronted by a dangerous dog

I carry a 2ft length of thin bamboo when I go running, never had to use it but I run new routes all the time so prefer to have it available.

On my bike, I just keep peddling. The dogs don't chase for long.

I'm in the defend yourself camp on this one, there are just too many irresponsible dog owners here for my liking.

Rob

There is a dog in my soi that on occasion has a go at me when I am walking to the Family Mart. There are no pavements in my soi. Now every time I walk to the end of my soi I carry a brick as the dog is a large male.

I spoke to the owner who has a gas canister business. I speak Thai well. She only responded by smiling over and over and saying, "Sorry," in English. I said she should put a muzzle on the dog. Again, lots of smiling and, "Sorry," in English but no action whatsoever.

I will not stop walking to the end of my soi. (BTW it even chases motorbikes and cars sometimes) I will defend myself if necessary, with a stick or a brick or a golf club shaft or a chain.

Your post seems to suggest I go out seeking trouble with dogs. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Every situation is unique, but many times people go out looking for trouble all kitted up. I am pretty sure there are dogs that are a pest and cause trouble. In the village where I live there was a dog that always barked at me, i just ignored it.

I just think that defending is almost never needed (rare occasions excluded). What happens if you just ignore the animal and walk on ?. I have rarely seen dogs follow someone more then 100 meters or so (and that is far already).

I do know that dogs get angry with you if you confront them all the time they will remember it and possibly act even more aggressive next time (or if your lucky not confront you again).

The dog you are talking about what does he really do besides barking at you and following you ? If a dog wants to bite then yes defend yourself.. but just a bit of barking / following should not be a problem especially if your just walking.

Tell me a bit more please how does a typical standoff go

It launches itself at high speed from either the owner's pick up truck, from inside the shophouse or from in front of the shophouse. It comes right up to me snapping. I never turn my back on it. I kick it in the head if possible. It darts just in and out of foot range trying to get a bite in. Again I never turn my back. Eventually the owner comes out and drags it away. If I ever had an implement to hand I would certainly use it if it came at me. It is a lot more than just barking and it is a large male dog.

Please advise. I am open to advice but I am not prepared to be bitten in order to be nice to the dog.

My advice: arm yourself with a shoulder-launched RPG.

Works for me...