Big Bike motorcycles banned on Khao Yai

webfact

Big Bike motorcycles banned on Khao Yai

12-25-2014-10-48-35-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- Big Bike motorcycles are now prohibited to enter the Khao Yai national park.

The national park chief Kanchit Srinoppawan said he has ordered park officials at the checkpoints to prohibit Big Bike motorcycles to go on the top because of their engine loud noise could disturb tourists.

Besides, modified motorcycles which create loud noises are also not allowed to enter the park, he said.

Currently all national parks have exempted entrance fees for Thai visitors from December 31 to January 1 under the policy of the National Council for Peace and Order to return happiness to the people, and to give New Year gift to the people.

For Khao Yai, temperature has dropped to 11 degrees Celsius, prompting large number of visitors to experience cold weather every weekend.

He said the park has arranged three locations for visitors to camp out – Larn Pa Kluay Mai, Larn Lamtakong, and Larn Khao Rom as all resort homes have been fully booked.

He also advised tourists to book homes at the park only at its official website, as officials have discovered fake websites taking booking orders from foreign tourists, and many have been cheated.

But he said all homes and rooms at the park have been fully booked until next year.

Source: ThaiPBS

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/big-bike-motorcycles-banned-khao-yai

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-25

• Like 2

Seems reasonable they still let them in just not allow them to make too much sounds. If they drive normal they can still go in. I drive a big bike, I understand that nature parks are nature parks and not for big bikes.

Yes but you are Dutch smile.png

• Like 1

I was at an old Indian site in the SW USA a few years ago. Very spiritual and very beautiful. While we were sitting up on a ledge, overlooking the ruins, 30-40 Harleys came in and it was horrible. They didn't turn off their bikes, just let them idle or kept cranking on the throttles. Horrible. They were extremely loud. Ridiculous.

They should do the same on Koh Samui

What do you think that nornal tourists think when they are trying to relax in restaurants and bars in Chaweng, Lamai and on the Ring Road and the Bike Bikes come past with no regrad to peiple's holiday peace. The road shakes and and it is imppssible to talk. Is that the image Thailand Tourism wants to project?

Beach chairs and rcliners etc have been banned on Phuket - does this government have no unederstanding that noise pollution is just as big a problem for tourists as many other things!

• Like 1

Seems reasonable they still let them in just not allow them to make too much sounds. If they drive normal they can still go in. I drive a big bike, I understand that nature parks are nature parks and not for big bikes.

I know im Dutch I can't help it im sorry for it now back to the topic biggrin.png

I like riding my bike but I can understand that reving up a bike in a nature park is not a good thing. If people had not abused it we could still ride there but there are always idiots spoiling it for us all.

You won't tell every one but having been brought up in Belgium (for me) Dutch are the most civilised people in the world clap2.gif (with all that implies) sorry for the off topictongue.png

Edited by Tchooptip
  • Like 1

If this was an attempt at humour, I feel it failed the test.

I just read your disclaimer and kinsman ship. Have a Happy New Year.

Edited by Benmart

Just wondering, as the two big bikes I had in Thailand didn't make too much sounds.Maybe a little cheesy....

Edited by lostinisaan

It's just retarded to ban the bike based on size and not the noise output! In stock form all the bikes are quiet, There are 100 cc scooters that can pop your eardrums!

I ride a big bike too and I honestly hate the noisy <deleted>, and I can sympathize with you Craig as in your Harley's example.

• Like 1

It's just retarded to ban the bike based on size and not the noise output! In stock form all the bikes are quiet, There are 100 cc scooters that can pop your eardrums!

I ride a big bike too and I honestly hate the noisy <deleted>, and I can sympathize with you Craig as in your Harley's example.

Agreed, plus there are decent riders out there not riving a bike up and shifting sooner can make a huge difference.

• Like 1

Here where i am now in southern europe some locals ride these pissy 50cc bikes that look like big bikes yet they make the loudest wracket, sounds like thousands of fire crackers going off, pitty i can't hear the sound of a shot gun also.

I was at an old Indian site in the SW USA a few years ago. Very spiritual and very beautiful. While we were sitting up on a ledge, overlooking the ruins, 30-40 Harleys came in and it was horrible. They didn't turn off their bikes, just let them idle or kept cranking on the throttles. Horrible. They were extremely loud. Ridiculous.

If you do not like the outdoor sounds that come with freedom for everybody, you should get yourself a soundproof room, go inside and lock the door.

The problem with this so-called big bike ban is that Khao Yai is not just a park. There is a tax-funded highway running through it. I have gone through there at least a couple of times on my Kawasaki 650 (with factory exhaust) not to see the park, but because it was the shortest route from where I was to where I was going.

Since I was just passing through, I kind of resented the entrance fee, too. It seems that if you present a time stamped receipt at the exit showing you just passed through, there should be a refund.

Edited by Reincarnation9

If you do not like the outdoor sounds that come with freedom for everybody, you should get yourself a soundproof room, go inside and lock the door.

The problem with this so-called big bike ban is that Khao Yai is not just a park. There is a tax-funded highway running through it. I have gone through there at least a couple of times on my Kawasaki 650 (with factory exhaust) not to see the park, but because it was the shortest route from where I was to where I was going.

Since I was just passing through, I kind of resented the entrance fee, too. It seems that if you present a time stamped receipt at the exit showing you just passed through, there should be a refund.

Freedom isn't just about your ability to do anything you want. It's also about respecting other peoples freedom. Like being outdoors and not having to listen to bikes that were modified to be incredibly loud. It's all about respect. Which is what this article is all about.

• Like 1

Funnily enough i was in there just last week and i was just asking my fellow rider on his loud (if revved right up) harley if the supposed bike ban was still in force but unfortunately we couldnt hear each other talking as thais were driving past us boot to the floor in pickup trucks with the exhaust and air intake silencers removed....1 of the most obnoxious noises on the road. Unless you think the unsilenced sound of a diesel engine having the nuts revved off it is cool?

Only those with the smallest dick finds that 'cool'

• Like 1

I suspect the sound issue is only one of a number of issues here and the park rangers are just using this as the excuse.

Many clubs use the road through Khao Yai as a club run as it is very beautiful and there are no traffic lights, very few intersections or side turnings. Some bikes, particularly larger sports bikes, drive at ridiculous speeds, knowing that no-one is going to pull out on them.

During the cool season, the park is packed and these irresponsible speeding bikes do present a hazard, mainly to themselves, but also to wildlife and other drivers. The best way of resolving this would be to catch and fine speeding drivers and riders but usually Thai traffic authorities can't be bothered with moving violations. So the result is all bikers have to suffer the consequences of the irresponsible minority due to a blanket ban.

However, often the authorities themselves forget to inform their staff over rule changes so who knows what to expect at the checkpoint.

• Like 2

I suspect the sound issue is only one of a number of issues here and the park rangers are just using this as the excuse.

Many clubs use the road through Khao Yai as a club run as it is very beautiful and there are no traffic lights, very few intersections or side turnings. Some bikes, particularly larger sports bikes, drive at ridiculous speeds, knowing that no-one is going to pull out on them.

During the cool season, the park is packed and these irresponsible speeding bikes do present a hazard, mainly to themselves, but also to wildlife and other drivers. The best way of resolving this would be to catch and fine speeding drivers and riders but usually Thai traffic authorities can't be bothered with moving violations. So the result is all bikers have to suffer the consequences of the irresponsible minority due to a blanket ban.

However, often the authorities themselves forget to inform their staff over rule changes so who knows what to expect at the checkpoint.

Your hitting the nail right on the head, Thais often (and other nationalities too) prefer to punish everyone instead of going after the offenders. Going after the offenders would cost too much time an not net enough money.