Can Hand Baggage Go In Hold ?

nostrel

are you still alowed the basic 30kilos plus the 7 which would normally go in the locker to go in the hold ?

I'm sure you can.

Where are you travelling from and to. That will be a big factor.

Slightly off topic I intend to travell from Bangkok to Heathrow in about 2 or 3 weeks either on Gulf or Thai Air I have concerns about hand luggage.

Haven't been able to call Thai or Gulf to ask as of mothers day but do you think they will be allowing hand luggage as I have some very important computer components to take bck to the UK and the are no way going in the hold. And they take upp the size of a normal hand luggage bag not a plastic bag.

So what do think?

So what do think?

General consensus at present, ags, although I havn't seen any news today, is that it should have all calmed down again in a week or so.

There are thoughts that perhaps flights in the near future, after this scare, between the US and UK may well enforce a 'no hand luggage embargo', perhaps it might even spread to other airlines, but I have my doubts at this stage.

I think it is going to be watch this space until you can contact them, but thats my opiniopn.

Good Luck

Moss

So what do think?

General consensus at present, ags, although I havn't seen any news today, is that it should have all calmed down again in a week or so.

There are thoughts that perhaps flights in the near future, after this scare, between the US and UK may well enforce a 'no hand luggage embargo', perhaps it might even spread to other airlines, but I have my doubts at this stage.

I think it is going to be watch this space until you can contact them, but thats my opiniopn.

Good Luck

Moss

Thanks for your advice I hope it does calm down.

I just thought lets look on Thai on the net and this link states Flights with THAI to UK allow no hand luggage. So if they don't change that I shall have to find another airline.

Or find some safe way of getting these componets back to the UK.

Thai Air Link

I believe the no hand-luggage ban is in effect for all international flights into LHR, and to the USA ex-LHR. Not sure about other UK airports? Your options right now appear to be: fly to CDG and take Eurostar, pack said materials in original shipping containers to withstand baggage handling, mail them, leave them here.

I believe the no hand-luggage ban is in effect for all international flights into LHR, and to the USA ex-LHR. Not sure about other UK airports? Your options right now appear to be: fly to CDG and take Eurostar, pack said materials in original shipping containers to withstand baggage handling, mail them, leave them here.

The no hand baggage on flights from the UK applies to all airports, so can only assume that same applies inbound.

See this link to UK Dept for Transport website.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_...out_612280.hcsp

In addition Crossy mentioned that at Changi yesterday all UK bound transit passengers had to check in hand luggage - post#140

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...533;entry846415

Edited by andyfletch

TG said Friday that they were not permitting any electronic devices inside the cabin on any flight. No laptops, cell phones, iPods etc etc.

Then they said they were.

Then they said they weren't, but they were anywhere except to LHR.

Then they said.....

Welcome to Thailand.

TG said Friday that they were not permitting any electronic devices inside the cabin on any flight. No laptops, cell phones, iPods etc etc.

Then they said they were.

Then they said they weren't, but they were anywhere except to LHR.

Then they said.....

Welcome to Thailand.

I think what's confusing with/within TG is the fact that they have direct, non-stop flights to the U.S.A. (LAX/JFK), and flights direct, non-stop to the U.K., which have different "rules".

As far as I can determine, and my interest is personal as I have a TG flight this week BKK-FRA, (continuing on to the U.S.A. on LH), is that for TG flights to/from the U.K. there is no hand-luggage, in addition to the gel/liquid ban, and that all electronic devices must packed in checked bags. For TG flights to the USA, the gel/liquid ban is in place, but hand-luggage is alllowed and electronic devices are allowed in the cabin. (I'll admit the announcement on the TG website is confusing in these regards.) For all other int'l TG flights the gel/liquid ban is not in effect, hand-luggage and electronic devices are allowed.

Edited by lomatopo

Checked the CX-website:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_HK/specialupdates#INFO

They do limit the restrictions to traffic to/from USA and passengers with connecting flights from London.

Interesting point on the General Information:

Passengers are advised to pre-pack their hand carry items in their check-in baggage. Passengers are also advised not to pack valuables or fragile items in their checked in baggage. Cathay Pacific will not assume liability for any loss or damage of such items checked in. Passengers are advised to check they are covered for loss or damage under their own personal insurance.

So on LHR-connections and US-flights, the laptop goes into the checked luggage and one better covers insurance.

LUFTHANSA refers to similar restictions on flights to USA and hand luggage at UK-airports.

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/...e?l=en&tl=1

Can, however, nowhere find a reference that the free luggage allowance of 20 kgs for economy and 30 (40 First class) on business-class (Europe) to be increased by 7 kgs. :o neither that one will get one extra piece for US-routes. )

Oh well, probably can be discussed at check - in?

But we should bear in mind, still better safe than....

I read in a news report that the airlines were, at the moment, allowing increased check in luggage. Not sure how long that will last tho.

I don't think anything permanently fixed, yet, but would expect a certain leniency if a pax can say, all my stuff is in the check-in and I have nothing to carry on. Here comes another point, airlines do have different rules for carry-ons. Swiss, e.g. allows 8 kgs per piece. 1 in eco, 2 pieces in C- or F-class on their flights, i.e. 16 kgs.

How to handle USA or outbound from UK?

SQ has no news since Aug. 10: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/cont...ase/NE_4106.jsp

But UAL http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51802,00.html

has some god news: Because of current requirements, United has waived its excess baggage fee for customers who elect to check their carry-on baggage. This waiver is subject to change and customers should check united.com for the latest information prior to departure.

Now flying TG/SQ to the States should be on light luggage, but coming back on UAL with all the stuff from home, helps. :o

There is absolutely no way the ban on all but the most basic hand baggage can continue. What businessman is going to trust his laptop to the airport baggage people to rip off at their leisure? Some of these machines carry information that is of great value to them or their company, and to just let it out of your sight isn't practical.

Same as not being allowed to lock your suitcases on trips to America. I did it twice, had stuff stolen twice, and the airline just said there was nothing they could do. So I stopped going to the US. The last straw was when they said you were not allowed to queue for the toilet.

Some restrictions now lifted at UK airports. Still no liquid allowed except baby milk (tested) and medicine with correct paperwork.

Differnent airports, different rules. Birmingham allowing one piece of hand luggage, briefcase size.

Saw sign saying electronics allowed!

Apparently it has been big problem for musicians, especially a cello - poor thing paid for its seat and was put in the hold!