Thai price / Foreigner price

johncat1

In 2012 when booking a car on the internet with a Thai company wifey found the quote was cheaper when she was selecting UK driving licence over her Thai one. Made sense to me till we discovered that an Irish driving licence attracted an even lower rate blink.png

In 2012 when booking a car on the internet with a Thai company wifey found the quote was cheaper when she was selecting UK driving licence over her Thai one. Made sense to me till we discovered that an Irish driving licence attracted an even lower rate blink.png

simple. the software is programmed to know that a thai will likely drink and drive and an irishman will be too drunk to drive

• Like 2

So, if I understand you clearly, Thais who don't pay income tax, for whatever reason, should pay the increased price...

God, I'm getting raked over the coals for this one... All I'm saying is that's the way it is and that's why it is that way.

But if you're asking me personally, then yeah, I think it's fair that foreigners pay a little extra to enjoy attractions that are funded by Thai taxpayers. That being said, I think they've got it weighted a little high for foreigners. I mean, I think national parks are like 40 THB for Thais and 200- or maybe even 400- THB for foreigners. That's kinda ridiculous. Still, it doesn't compare to the likes of Angkor Wat over in Cambo: free for locals and something like $20 per day for foreigners.

If only they would set the difference as locals (regardless of nationality) and non locals (regardless of nationality).

If you don't have citizenship, you're not a local.

You are wrong in germany, if you are resident(legal registered) of any city regardless of your nationality, then you are local.

In top every EU Citzen can go to national election in a foreign EU country where he is resident.

This should be the same everywhere.

Elections: wrong (at least for UK, France, as far as I know),

EU citizens can vote for local and european elections NOT for MPs

So, if I understand you clearly, Thais who don't pay income tax, for whatever reason, should pay the increased price...

God, I'm getting raked over the coals for this one... All I'm saying is that's the way it is and that's why it is that way.

But if you're asking me personally, then yeah, I think it's fair that foreigners pay a little extra to enjoy attractions that are funded by Thai taxpayers. That being said, I think they've got it weighted a little high for foreigners. I mean, I think national parks are like 40 THB for Thais and 200- or maybe even 400- THB for foreigners. That's kinda ridiculous. Still, it doesn't compare to the likes of Angkor Wat over in Cambo: free for locals and something like $20 per day for foreigners.

If only they would set the difference as locals (regardless of nationality) and non locals (regardless of nationality).

You are wrong in germany, if you are resident(legal registered) of any city regardless of your nationality, then you are local.

In top every EU Citzen can go to national election in a foreign EU country where he is resident.

EU citizens can vote for local and european elections NOT for MPs.

To me, the MPs election's right is.part of citizenship.

On another hand, in the EU, if you're a legal immigrant (even from outside the EU), you have the same rights than local citizens. Right to work, right to own property, no 90-day reporting, right to healthcare, right to apply for citizenship (even if you don't work), etc. These are facts.

Edited by Fab5BKK
  • Like 1

I hope being a resident is different from being on a visa or extension of stay.

Once a resident I believe you no longer need to do 90 day reporting.

I assume voting, as in most countries, is restricted to citizens.

I think Thais have to go to their home town to vote. They may live in Bkk for 15 years but their official home is Issan.

I hope being a resident is different from being on a visa or extension of stay.

Once a resident I believe you no longer need to do 90 day reporting.

I assume voting, as in most countries, is restricted to citizens.

I think Thais have to go to their home town to vote. They may live in Bkk for 15 years but their official home is Issan.

Correct all the above.

Permanent residents do not need to report every 90 days.

Only citizens can vote (you need to have been a citizen for five years or more if naturalised), and you vote at the polling station local to the address of your house registration. You can move your house registration anytime you want, by buying a house or by the consent of the householder where you reside. Many Thais don't bother (or live in a place where the householder is reluctant to register them, such as a rented apartment), and have to return home if they want to vote.

Voting is compulsory here, but the rule is not enforced, so many Thais don't bother voting at all..

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

Going to be interesting what happens when all those farang arguing vehemently for the rights of Thais to dual price need urgent medical care....

I'll go to the hospital and claim on my employee medical insurance. Or if it's a long term thing I'll return to the UK as I still pay NI.

If you don't like the ride then you get off, it's very very simple.

• Like 1

are car/motorcylce accidents excluded on your health insurance?

Depends on the policy.

My BUPA policy covers me for car accidents but only 50% of the cost of motorcycle accidents. Not a problem for me as I no longer ride a motorcycle.

Most other accidents, illnesses and injuries (not self-inflicted) are covered, as are outpatient costs up to a yearly limit.

As a Thai I'm also eligible for 30 Baht to see a doctor and emergency treatment but I've never used it as I have private insurance.

EU citizens can vote for local and european elections NOT for MPs

If I would be resident in Thailand and pay taxes there, then I would like to have the benefits like Thai ppl have, park fees, BTS Bangkok etc.

I give a damn about any election this was just an example.

I could also agree with up to the triple price for park fees for foreign tourists as I posted before.

I would like to give to all a question who pay taxes on black money, bribes etc.

It is easier to sue the Foreign tourists.

This is hypocrasy at it is the best.

If no tourists would come to thailand, then LOS would go to hell.

Tourism it is not all about their small part of the BIP, but more about all the small and big businesses, a lot of ppl in Thailand depending on tourism this is the reality.

Look what is happend in Pattaya, Samui, Phuket already and in top the shit rubber prices.

I'm sorry for all the poor ppl in LOS, but I give a damn about all the corrupt bandits.

The problem is that a crisis like this created by ppl in power hits mostly the poor ppl.

There is no fair justice on earth which punish the ppl who create that kind problems.

Depends on the policy.

My BUPA policy covers me for car accidents but only 50% of the cost of motorcycle accidents. Not a problem for me as I no longer ride a motorcycle.

Most other accidents, illnesses and injuries (not self-inflicted) are covered, as are outpatient costs up to a yearly limit.

As a Thai I'm also eligible for 30 Baht to see a doctor and emergency treatment but I've never used it as I have private insurance.

As you said BUPA is ok, but don't cover everything, but the fees increasing with the age.

A lot of ppl can not afford BUPA not only Thais.

I guess that not more as 10% of the expats having or can afford BUPA and not the ppl with a E Visa with a max income of max. 30,000THB/monthly, caused this would costs about 50% of their Salary.

Be happy that you can afford it, but don't blame the others.

Depends on the policy.

As you said BUPA is ok, but don't cover everything, but the fees increasing with the age.

I guess that not more as 10% of the expats having or can afford BUPA and not the ppl with a E Visa with a max income of max. 30,000THB/monthly, caused this would costs about 50% of their Salary.

Uh?

I'm not blaming anyone. I was just answering a question raised by one of the posters here. Sure insurance costs but when things go wrong it is very useful to have.

People who travel and can't afford to look after themselves when things go wrong are taking a risk, usually with the taxpayer money of the country from where they originate when they expect their embassy to bail them out. I've seen it happen.

Most expats I know are covered anyway. I'm 50 and BUPA platinum cover costs around 7000 a month. Would be cheaper for a younger person. Affordable for most. Depends where you want to spend your money I guess.

• Like 1

Thailand assume farang are either tourist with money for traveling, working and probably have health insurance or retired with minimum 800,000 baht for the year in Thailand.

Most here on the correct visa and making honest declarations should not be poor

• Like 1

Depends on the policy.

Uh?

I'm not blaming anyone. I was just answering a question raised by one of the posters here. Sure insurance costs but when things go wrong it is very useful to have.

People who travel and can't afford to look after themselves when things go wrong are taking a risk, usually with the taxpayer money of the country from where they originate when they expect their embassy to bail them out. I've seen it happen.

Most expats I know are covered anyway. I'm 50 and BUPA platinum cover costs around 7000 a month. Would be cheaper for a younger person. Affordable for most. Depends where you want to spend your money I guess.

Unfortunately I don't know what your BUPA covers also not your risk Class, but I know with increasing age you have to pay much more with 60, 65, 70 and 1 time you pass a certain age they will kick you out.

Thailand assume farang are either tourist with money for traveling, working and probably have health insurance or retired with minimum 800,000 baht for the year in Thailand.

Most here on the correct visa and making honest declarations should not be poor

That's right.

It's reasonable for any country to expect that migrants will either have something to offer or the means to look after themselves.

• Like 2

and what is the maximum on your insurance plan? read all the fine print?

and not all health care can be planned ahead by heading home. sometimes things happen suddenly.

Like I said, IF it is a long term thing I'll return to the UK. Dual prices happens all over the world - the thread is just another reason to Thai bash. Private medical care companies can charge what they want, when they want, to who they want hence the term private, if anyone has a problem with that then move to a nation that has free health care.

• Like 2

Suppose that you are involved in a car accident and quickly go over the maximum and begin getting hit with the farang rate?

Regardless of the quality of your personal health insurance or financial situation, it remains that there is no logical reason whatsoever why one should feel so passionately that it is wrong for others to point out that something is wrong. Why does it bother you and others so greatly for anyone to point out that there are things in Thailand that are wrong? Does it bother you when Thais say that there are aspects of their country that need fixing?

Edited by farang000999

Suppose that you are involved in a car accident and quickly go over the maximum and begin getting hit with the farang rate?

Regardless of the quality of your personal health insurance or financial situation, it remains that there is no logical reason whatsoever why one should feel so passionately that it is wrong for others to point out that something is wrong. Why does it bother you and others so greatly for anyone to point out that there are things in Thailand that are wrong? Does it bother you when Thais say that there are aspects of their country that need fixing?

wrong is a subjective term. perhaps its not that farang point out things that are wrong so much as he doesnt agree with your opinion that they are in fact wrong

Generally if you eat or drink anything in a tourist attraction in America you will pay triple the normal price.

This is bad but accepted.

Amusement parks in Thailand the price of food is only increased a little.

Think of the cost of entrance to a zoo or museum or amusement park and add the inflated price of food and compare to Thailand.

True it is for everyone, but very bad

limited to people with good incomes.

Edited by brianp0803

I don't mind different Thai and Foreigner prices if they aren't crazy different. Yes, Thai prices are often cheaper than where many tourists are from. But the Thais shouldn't try to make the price on par with the foreigner's home country. ONE of the reasons to choose Thailand is the cheaper prices can make up for the higher cost of the long distance plane ticket. If prices in restaurants and elsewhere are the same as back home, it might make more sense to find a destination closer to home...or just go to Cambodia instead.

Generally if you eat or drink anything in a tourist attraction in America you will pay triple the normal price.

Think of the cost of entrance to a zoo or museum or amusement park and add the inflated price of food and compare to Thailand.

You are right, but you missed the point this topic is about diff. Fees for Thai or Foreigner mainly in national parks.

You can not excuse this with much cheaper extra costs.

As I posted before I could agree up to the triple fee for foreign tourists, but not up to 10 times the Thai price.

The director of the Thai National Parks says "all persons" less than 3 and over 59 years old get into the National Parks for free.

Do farang fall under the category as "all persons"?

Is it up to the discretion of the gatekeeper?

You are right, but you missed the point this topic is about diff. Fees for Thai or Foreigner mainly in national parks.

You can not excuse this with much cheaper extra costs.

As I posted before I could agree up to the triple fee for foreign tourists, but not up to 10 times the Thai price.

so its not the fact of discrimination that bothers you, its the scale . well, as for any service or item that is considered too expensive, its best to refuse to buy it.