Defence minister says Thailand needs submarine to protect sea interests

webfact

Ricardo, that Wiki article of the former glorious past of Thailand and submarines is pretty funny. Look like after

the attempted naval coup, their toys got taken away from them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchanu-class_submarine

"The Thai submarine service came to an end following a coup attempt known as the Manhattan Rebellion. The failed coup, led by a group of naval officers on 29 June 1951, resulted in the Navy being stripped of its power and influence. The Submarine Group was dissolved on 16 July, and all four boats were decommissioned on 30 November 1951.[8]

I agree, I too thought it ironic, that the four brand-new Japanese-built Thai submarines had been unable to prevent the French navy doing whatever they wanted, or indeed to stop the Japanese invasion of Thailand.

And this latest attempt at resurrecting a pork-barrel, despite the wise words in 2007, is equally laughable IMO. rolleyes.gif

If the Thais had wanted to stop the Japanese landings they could have. They didn't want to. The PM was strategically out of touch for a few hours and then surfaced and told the few police who were resisting the landings to write them a parking ticket and go home. (Sarcasm alert)

How many funny comments

Yes, the many ill-informed comments are quite funny to anyone even remotely knowledgable of submarines and their capabilities.

The many clueless comments made are, however, understandable given the very small number of us that have actually served on submarines and understand their operations.

The fact is irrespective of the water depth, there are large tracts of the gulf of Thailand where they would have to be absolute insane to try and navigate in a submarine due to all the oil and gas infrastructure on the seabed, ie sub-sea well heads and pipelines

• Like 2

I know a bit about the most advanced submarine technology with regard to silence -- China's. Let us consider the differing situation with Thailand's submarine. Once the cook starts singing, the entire Gulf of Thailand will know where the sub is, perhaps know what's for dinner.

How many funny comments

Yes, the many ill-informed comments are quite funny to anyone even remotely knowledgable of submarines and their capabilities.

The many clueless comments made are, however, understandable given the very small number of us that have actually served on submarines and understand their operations.

The fact is irrespective of the water depth, there are large tracts of the gulf of Thailand where they would have to be absolute insane to try and navigate in a submarine due to all the oil and gas infrastructure on the seabed, ie sub-sea well heads and pipelines

Oh, goodness, I hope no one expects them to drive it carefully as well.

Has Thailand any interests outside it's territorial waters?

I think the last time a sub successfully attacked another vessel was in 1982 when we (the British) sank the Belgrano, yet since 2000 there have been over 30 major incidents involving Submarines with many sinking's, collisions with other vessels, collisions with well charted rocks and sand banks... and loss of life, does Thailand really need a Submarine (or two)?

As for the Aircraft Carrier I can only see one use for it and that is as a floating platform from which to mount a rescue operation should Thailand ever get a submarine.

Edited by Basil B

So long as they buy from the shelf not like OZ and invest in an unknown Collins class that now is ok but in the early stages was a pig, Thailand must understand that maintenance up keep is high and between the subs and the rail projects will possibly blow the Thai budget on up - keep out of the water.coffee1.gif

Dockyard maintenance requirements mean a fleet of three boats will be required to maintain one at sea, they will also require at least 2 operational crews, 2 dockside watch crews + a crew on work-up. That sort of outlay'll get you @ 20 fast patrol boats. These boys in navy blue should recon up a thing or two before splashing the cash on a submarine fleet. I suppose the Navy will be rubbing their hands together at the prospect of another 4* flag officer and his retinue!

How many funny comments

Is the Gulf of Thailand the only body of water in the world that has underwater oil and gas structures? No.

Do submarines transit through other bodies of water that have underwater oil and gas structures? Yes.

Is there an expectation that submarines should be able to transit and operate in 100% of all bodies of water throughout the world? No.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What happened to the aircraft carrier again?

The aircraft carrier is fine.

"Due to budget cutbacks the carrier currently sits at anchor year round serving as a museum ship."

Like I said the carrier is fine. I was aboard a few months ago and it was good. At least Thailand has an aircraft carrier unlike some other countries that I know.

Yes there we have it, Ladies and Gentlemen. A working definition of "Thainess"

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The aircraft carrier is fine.

"Due to budget cutbacks the carrier currently sits at anchor year round serving as a museum ship."

Like I said the carrier is fine. I was aboard a few months ago and it was good. At least Thailand has an aircraft carrier unlike some other countries that I know.

Yes there we have it, Ladies and Gentlemen. A working definition of "Thainess"

What is a working definition of Thainess?

• Like 1

Need a submarine to protect what?

Waters in the gulf of Thailand are to shallow for submarine operations.

I am not a navy person but my husband has some experience on that subject and he told me that the German T212 is a submarine that is constructed to operate in shallow waters - up to about 17 meters. He said the boat is operated by 5 officers and 22 crew members but for Thailand he would expect to see 22 officers and 5 crew members.

Referring to some other comments on this forum he said that it would be Admirals and not Generals that would have to make a decision.

• Like 1

It would make a great TV comedy program.

Captain Somchai and his submarine crew.

Captain. We are under attack!

All hands on deck! Man the torpedoes!

Err there are no torpedoes Captain!

What?!!!

Weapons Officer Corporal Sompong was busy on his somtum break, Facebooking his mom Sir!

All we found in the torpedoe room was a month supply of dried squid and Pla la. .....

Edited by CarlTyson