If Thai woman has a farang hubbie, does she get derided by other Thais?

Smithwick

Whatever happened to womens lib. and equal rights for women worldwide? All Thai women should be told that if they are equal to men they should be equaly responsible for funding their marriage and everything else. Let us get up to date and see a Thai girl paying for her farangs food in a resturant and buying him a house or a car.....or do they only want equality when it is to their advantage?

Only if you are handsome mak maak and young, they will give the world to u and keep u happy.

Source: my own experience.

Depends on both the family and the farang- closer the age the better, for example I am 1 year older than my fiancee, work in a related field as her father/brothers (maritime) so garner some respect for being able to drive large boats, have learned passable (not great) Thai, and treat her with respect. She is still mistaken for a prostitute unfortunately sometimes when we are out, particularly in larger towns and tourist areas. But the only derision she has openly told me about is jealousy of some neighbors that we are getting married and probably because I do earn more than the average Thai (but by no means rich)

By now there has been many discussion on this topic it does get boring after a while. Different names and different faces all ways talking about the same thing. This is Thailand get real . My own experience is the wealthier the family the more her parents won't like a foreigner with there daughter that's the bottom line

I agree.But I think It is most countries. Most of us are "tribal"

If my university educated, 21yo beautiful [iMHO] daughter told me she was thinking of getting attached to an Indian or African, I wouldn't like It..I actually want Grandchildren that look like [a better version of] me. I wouldn't stand In her way..Those days are gone, I feel...But I'd be disappointed.

Most Thais, especially of upper social classes would feel the same as me, I'm guessing. I understand why they would feel like they do. It's not abnormal or racist.

Actually, that is very racist.

• Like 2

By now there has been many discussion on this topic it does get boring after a while. Different names and different faces all ways talking about the same thing. This is Thailand get real . My own experience is the wealthier the family the more her parents won't like a foreigner with there daughter that's the bottom line

If my university educated, 21yo beautiful [iMHO] daughter told me she was thinking of getting attached to an Indian or African, I wouldn't like It..I actually want Grandchildren that look like [a better version of] me. I wouldn't stand In her way..Those days are gone, I feel...But I'd be disappointed.

Most Thais, especially of upper social classes would feel the same as me, I'm guessing. I understand why they would feel like they do. It's not abnormal or racist.

Racist would be standing in her way (discrimination), or considering that grandchildren of a different skin color would be inferior (prejudice). Simply preferring grandchildren in your own ethnicity if given the choice doesn't mean you perceive your ethnicity to be more worthy than another.

Racist would be standing in her way (discrimination), or considering that grandchildren of a different skin color would be inferior (prejudice). Simply preferring grandchildren in your own ethnicity if given the choice doesn't mean you perceive your ethnicity to be more worthy than another.

sorry pal, you cant duck it that easy. you said ".I actually want Grandchildren that look like [a better version of] me." you are in fact saying a mixed child could not look like a better version of you but a white child could! deny it all you like but when you use the word BETTER you are expressing racism!

• Like 1

Do thais discriminate against a thai woman with a farang boyfriend/husband?

Yes and they sometimes openly comment about it also (but this is rare). However if you are in her home village it won't be too bad, you'd probably just be seen as a patron-farang.

Typically Thais in mainstream circles tend to consider a women who marries a foreigner to be of low-status or even a prostitute. It won't be derogatory though it will be just matter-of-fact to them.

I think you might be referring to the elites and the snobs. And who cares about them anyway? To me, they are about as relevant as a knat. I am married to a Thai woman, and could care less what others think. If they want to be small minded enough to judge us, without knowing any of the facts, it is on them, but it means less than zero to me. My wife does not seem to care much either. She has learned to not care much about the opinions of fools.

• Like 1

Actually, yes it does, no matter how you try and twist it you are still saying "i prefer my own race over another".

Not a good idea to speculate on inheritance your genes in a linear way.

According to Mendel's laws chances are 50/50 that you spread the genes of the generation(s) before you.

And what part of you exactly would you like to see copied in your grandchild?

Your intelligence, the shape of your body, the way you move, or what?

I'm European with Asian genes, and I would really prefer a nice half-Indian granddaughter to a fat 100pct "white" Farang granddaughter.

Edited by micmichd

sorry pal, you cant duck it that easy. you said ".I actually want Grandchildren that look like [a better version of] me." you are in fact saying a mixed child could not look like a better version of you but a white child could! deny it all you like but when you use the word BETTER you are expressing racism!

I'm not the original poster... anyway, actually you're making a lot of assumptions for the word 'better' there. Perhaps he considers all humans of equal worth as people but just aesthetically prefers the caucasian look, so that would be more likely to 'look better' in his eyes. Just like he might want his daughter to marry an athletic, tall, handsome, healthy individual of a particular hair color. Making assumptions to call others racist is prejudiced in itself.

• Like 1

Not a good idea to speculate on inheritance your genes in a linear way.

According to Mendel's laws chances are 50/50 that you spread the genes of the generation(s) before you.

And what part of you exactly would you like to see copied in your grandchild?

Your intelligence, the shape of your body, the way you move, or what?

I'm European with Asian genes, and I would really prefer a nice half-Indian granddaughter to a fat 100pct "white" Farang granddaughter.

Obesity is a huge problem in India too

OB

I'm not the original poster... anyway, actually you're making a lot of assumptions for the word 'better' there. Perhaps he considers all humans of equal worth as people but just aesthetically prefers the caucasian look, so that would be more likely to 'look better' in his eyes. Just like he might want his daughter to marry an athletic, tall, handsome, healthy individual of a particular hair color. Making assumptions to call others racist is prejudiced in itself.

damn right. i have a predjudice against racism. subtle or otherwise

Except he was specifically referring to races, not physical traits.

No he said 'Indian' and 'African' with no other information. They are nationalities not races. If he said caucasoids and blacks however... but I'm not prejudging that.

Edited by jspill

He should explain himself what plans he has for his (fictive) granddaughter.

Would he like to see her in the Olympic Games? On dance floor? A scientist?

Referring to race is just a cognitive concept, a very primitive one.

Used to say "in my in-group we are individuals, in out-groups they are all the same"

After being in Asia maybe too long, I'm turning out to become a racist, too.

I tend to see Thais as individuals, but Farangs as a b bunch of ugly intruders which all look the same. What can I do?

Race/nationality are the same thing.

Could you inform us as to which race this man belongs ( and no, it's not the British Grand Prix) ?

attachicon.giflewis.jpg

Looks like a kairk to me.

I believe "kairks" (sic) are what the Thais call people from the Indian sub-continent and Arabs etc

As for Hamilton, he appears to be of 'mixed race', just like Obama.

(Hamilton's mother, Carmen Larbalestier, is white British, while his father, Anthony Hamilton, is black British, making him mixed-race,[5] (Anthony Hamilton's parents emigrated from Grenada to the United Kingdom in the 1950s)

Wikipedia.

Could you inform us as to which race this man belongs ( and no, it's not the British Grand Prix) ?

attachicon.giflewis.jpg

I would suggest his Nationality is from the United Kingdom, from the state of England, as for race, that is a bit more difficult.

His ancestry would suggest Caribbean, some suggest Black African, but unless the Caribbean is considered African, I am not sure where that correlates, he appears black, but also has a white mother from England, UK.

So pick the race bones out of that, because I am not entirely sure.

attachicon.giflewis.jpg

Looks like a kairk to me.

I believe "kairks" (sic) are what the Thais call people from the Indian sub-continent and Arabs etc

As for Hamilton, he appears to be of 'mixed race', just like Obama.

(Hamilton's mother, Carmen Larbalestier, is white British, while his father, Anthony Hamilton, is black British, making him mixed-race,[5] (Anthony Hamilton's parents emigrated from Grenada to the United Kingdom in the 1950s)

Wikipedia.

RC

You posted whilst I was posting, and yes I forgot to put in the mixed race aspect.