cheap packing cardboard box

h90

I read in Germany and USA there are cheap cardboard boxes for bicycle, at 15 USD - 25 Euro. Intended for single use but usually can be used several times.

Anyone saw something like that in Bangkok for a street bike?

There are also professional "suitcases" for bikes, but what I saw on European webpages is all in the 12.000+ Baht range. Are there any cheap Chinese/Thai versions. I am not really ready to spend 12K for it. I would rather buy a cheap bike instead.

Bikes come in boxes- Try your LBS..Plenty of info online on how to pack/protect.

I've used a right sized cardboard box from a TV before; bit of a letdown for the customs guy....tongue.png

Right now I use an Evoc bag; best there is and money well spent.

Edited by bobfish

• 4 weeks later...

Bikes come in boxes- Try your LBS..Plenty of info online on how to pack/protect.

I've used a right sized cardboard box from a TV before; bit of a letdown for the customs guy....tongue.png

Is this the bag you are talking about?

http://www.evocsports.com/bike/bike-travel-bags/bike-travel-bag

Looks nice. Where did you get yours?

Is this the bag you are talking about?

http://www.evocsports.com/bike/bike-travel-bags/bike-travel-bag

Looks nice. Where did you get yours?

That's the one. I bought it at Flying Ball, Hong Kong. You can get it at Mojo in Chiang Mai, and probably Bkk, but be warned, it's not cheap.... and you really don't need - but might covet - the road bike adapter!

Co-incidentally, I just flew with 2 bikes up to Chiang mai from Phuket with Bangkok Airways. MTB in the Evoc; also with road bike wheels and gear. Road frame in a trimmed down cardboard box from Thalang Bike [20Bt]. I purchased an extra 10kg [total 30] baggage and smiled - they let me check both in at no extra. [Evoc was 40+ but still easily handled]!!

Here's hoping for similar treatment on the way back, but its 'only' 80Bt excess per KG anyway.

Friends think the Helium case is good for a road bike, but the 'security' muppets will probably let all the air out of the protective bladders....

• Like 1

by the way what is the point of letting the air out of the tires.

When I have 8 bar in the tires and the airplane would go out in space with zero bar air pressure than it would be still equivalent of only 9 bar on the ground.

by the way what is the point of letting the air out of the tires.

When I have 8 bar in the tires and the airplane would go out in space with zero bar air pressure than it would be still equivalent of only 9 bar on the ground.

Many times I forgot to deflate my tires. Both clinchers and tubulars. And they've never blown up.
  • Like 1

Chances are they won't explode.

But---- Here's my take on whether to deflate tyres:

Generally if your tyres are quality and undamaged there shouldn't be a problem. It depends though.

Let's assume your using some good quality tyres in great condition: something like a Michelin Pro 4. You've inflated them to 110psi. The max recommended [safe] pressure on the sidewall is 116psi.

Your aircraft is cruising at 41000ft. Cabin [cargo hold] pressure is about 7psi, so the [gauge] pressure in your tyres is 117.7psi. Probably still okay.

If the aircraft now encounters a depressurisation event [outside pressure around 2.7psi] the pressure 122psi. Maybe okay...

It comes down to the buffer between gauge pressure and the maximum safe pressure. Inferior or damaged tyres may fail and damage surrounding cargo or equipment.

A really low probability, and I understand the above is a simplistic model. Given the ease of reinflation at destination I always drop the air out to comply with the rules of carriage. Just not all of the air on tubeless tyres.....

Edited by bobfish
  • Like 1

There will be no damage to the rims on clincher wheels, I guess, as they are not ridden - so do not suffer extra loads.

Me, personally, I never pump training tires to max - never knew what for. 7 - 7,5 is much more comfortable to ride ;-)

However, I always re-glue tubulars in case I forgot to deflate them.