Most friendly region/province in Thailand?

shane

I was about to say 'not Songkhla'. smile.png Been there off and on and it has definitely gone downhill, though was always a bit crusty regards the locals. Prefer the northern Thais and countryside. Chiang Mai is great but gone very busy. In the future, I may consider Chiang Rai.

Do not settle, long term live, in Thailand. If, in six years, you have not made a decision, you need think of a different nation... one you have hope of understanding.

• Like 1

You are right about Hat Yai / Songkhla .. After living here for five years, I often equate the area to Wales back home, the people are different, they have their own language and unless you are born in the south - it takes a long time to accept outsiders ( my wife is from KK and she is frequently upset by her work friends ). Thats not to say you won't meet some nice people here, you will probably meet a less superficial person here.

I would love to move somewhere else - but, day-to-day living is easy and cheap compared to living in a 'western' tourist area. There is industry and money here, there are a wide choice jobs, a lot of hospitals, regional service centres and showrooms. We don't drive down the road and disappear into a huge pothole ( just little ones ). Theres lots of new building and expansion here which all adds up to a better standard of living - all a bit worthwhile than a tooth-less grin and a swig on their Hong Thong.

WOW ....lived here six years....traveled all over the country....AND still not sure where to settle? You say you want to BUY! Whoa! ...My advice, since you're so unsure is to rent first....so many good places to live ....pick the wheather you like best ...beach community or country village and then find a place to rent and try it for awhile ....don't like it ...move on.

I was just interested in other peoples opinions thats's all

Shane;

1) Do not buy in Thailand. Keep assets O/S, bring cash in as required.

2) You cannot buy in Thailand. You can only give your money to some pretty young thing, who you will probably never have a 'conversation' with, to buy a house & let you live with her, in it. Oh, and the family.

For the time being.

• Like 1

Stay out of Thaksins territories. Go where there are fewest foreigners and be treated like a rock star.smile.png

Nonsense contradictionary post of the morning!

Stay out of CM? Maybe, I don't know.

I live in Khon Kaen province in a small village, deep red Thaskin area with few foreigners.

Friendly and pleasant people at the vast majority.

What a contrast to my occasional visits to Pattaya.

More than a week there is too much for me.

Deep muslim south: I would not even consider to visit let alone live there.

Edited by KhunBENQ

For sure - there are good and bad people everywhere. 33 years of experience in Thailand tells me that the further away you are from tourist areas the more likely you are to find genuine, sincerely friendly and welcoming Thai people. I must agree with other contributors in saying that the overwelming majority of people in the North are very tolerant and friendly towards foreigners - maybe it is because there is such a diverse mix of different ethnic groups here already speaking all kinds of different languages - eg Kon Meuang, Tai Yai (Shan), Myanmar, Chinese, Central Thai, Hill Tribes, etc - so other types of foreigner such as Western just add a bit more to the mix - and you are generally treated exactly the same as anyone else. I love it here.

Indeed, but being all nice and diplomatic doesn't that help the op much. rolleyes.gif As in my example, it has to be said, people, in general, differ from region to region and with Songkhla/Hat Yai (as the op found out), there is an obvious aggressive undertone and aversion to outsiders.

I've lived in Hat Yai/Songkhla for 8 years and never had an issue with the locals. They might not suffer fools gladly, but that's no bad thing

Shhh! We don't really want word to get out how pleasant it is here. Next thing you know we'll be inundated with the kind of farang that give us all a bad name, then the locals will get intolerant, then the dual-pricing will start and the scams and the corrupt cops etc.

Leave Hat Yai alone...we like it here.

No, you're wrong! I live in HY and it is terrible! The people are rude, the cops aggressive. I do not recommend Songkhla province.

What about the muslim violence down south, the kidnappings, bombings etc.

Does that bother any of you living down there?

In keeping with the spirit of my not wanting to encourage hordes of shirtless drunks to come here......YES, we are all scared crapless! It's terrible. If you see a Muslim approaching, you quickly duck into the nearest shop for safety. Never walk past a parked motorbike as it may hold a bomb. Stay indoors as much as possible. Don't drink in public as the consumption of alcohol enrages the radicals. Don't be seen holding your wife's hand as that also stirs up their anger.

It's a terrible scary place and I wouldn't live here unless I had too.

• Like 1

In 1998 to 2010 I lived in Phuket and operated a business there. The local Muslims threatened to burn my business down, threw rocks at my roof and building. They also brought extortion letters to me demanding monthly payments of 5,000 Baht per month. The US Embassy, the Thai Santi Baan and local police finally put a stop to these threats in 2008.

I like Kalasin, and Mukdahan.

I agree with George, Mukdahan is one of the Fastest Growing Cities in Isaan and as Robinsons Shopping Complex and Theatres has now opened Muk has everything for Foreigners, and a peaceful Lifestyle with Mekong River Breezes to cool things down.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

WOW ....lived here six years....traveled all over the country....AND still not sure where to settle? You say you want to BUY! Whoa! ...My advice, since you're so unsure is to rent first....so many good places to live ....pick the wheather you like best ...beach community or country village and then find a place to rent and try it for awhile ....don't like it ...move on.

I was just interested in other peoples opinions thats's all

Shane;

1) Do not buy in Thailand. Keep assets O/S, bring cash in as required.

2) You cannot buy in Thailand. You can only give your money to some pretty young thing, who you will probably never have a 'conversation' with, to buy a house & let you live with her, in it. Oh, and the family.

For the time being.

>>for the time being <<................Buy a Condo instead ,which you can own in your own name .Then if the bird gets flighty ,give her the old heave ho .There are 1000s more where she came from .lol

Indeed, but being all nice and diplomatic doesn't that help the op much. rolleyes.gif As in my example, it has to be said, people, in general, differ from region to region and with Songkhla/Hat Yai (as the op found out), there is an obvious aggressive undertone and aversion to outsiders.

I've lived in Hat Yai/Songkhla for 8 years and never had an issue with the locals. They might not suffer fools gladly, but that's no bad thing

Well said and true rajyindee... Been living in skl for 10 years now with my thai wife and 3 kids, no issues what so ever. I think it comes from each individual experience you go through. You just need to blend in and you will feel fine there. Besides, if the aggressiveness is what you worry about - which i disagree with you in this context - it served them well, at least they are not in the same chaos Pattaya and Phuket are.

Somewhere where Thais do not need to chase the tourist buck.

I have also travelled far and wide in this wonderful country, consistently the nicest and friendliest people i have met are in Nakon Nowhere (insert your choice of town/village) in deepest Isaan.

• Like 2

One of the only large towns I haven't visited is kon kaen, does anyone have an opinion on there?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I traveled all the way through khon Kaen, and never even seen a shopping mall, Big C or Tesco Lotus, but I'm sure they will be around.

My experience is that the nicest people are where there are the fewest foreign tourists. This seems to apply not only to Thailand but also to other countries in SE Asia. The few foreigners actually living in such places seem much more assimilated into the local culture and thus much more accepted.

• Like 2

One of the only large towns I haven't visited is kon kaen, does anyone have an opinion on there?

I traveled all the way through khon Kaen, and never even seen a shopping mall, Big C or Tesco Lotus, but I'm sure they will be around.
. On the Main road through Khon Kaen is Central Plaza, right before u go in the Underpass, I think Highway 2, they have Tescos, Big C, everything, Korat has The Mall, a Major Shopping Center from Farang Land
  • Like 1

I live in a small village a couple of Ks outside of Sena in Ayutthaya. I have no trouble with the locals where we live "The Locals" are my wifes family.Its is nice and quiet where we live and if I want to go into Bangkok for a night out or buy some Farang food , then Bangkok is only and hour and a bit down the road

• Like 1

. On the Main road through Khon Kaen is Central Plaza, right before u go in the Underpass, I think Highway 2, they have Tescos, Big C, everything, Korat has The Mall, a Major Shopping Center from Farang Land

Yes, I know about Korat, I have been in that shopping centre. Is that the same main road in Khon Kaen that goes past the bus station, you go straight on a few kilos and you come to a T junction where you turn left to go to Kalasin?

Try Prachuap Khiri Khan. The Isthmus of Kra. Fantastic area. Warm, friendly people. Gorgeous mountains, coastline, and open people. Reasonable, and close to Bangkok, Hua Hin. Good climate. Nice breezes, and a very Nice, clean town. And good services. Small ex-pat population there. There is nothing appealing about either Songkla, or Hat Yai, in my opinion for a place to live.

• Like 1

I love Khon Kaen, but depending on your age and interests some find it boring.

But I love going there. Not many tourists, good bars and beer gardens, cheap food prices, good shopping centres, really nice night market, best I have seen anyway.

Worth going for a look.

Could not agree more, friendly and helpful people

Yes, I know about Korat, I have been in that shopping centre. Is that the same main road in Khon Kaen that goes past the bus station, you go straight on a few kilos and you come to a T junction where you turn left to go to Kalasin?
. I believe it's a right, I was on my way to Mukdahan, a lot of people like Siskaket, and Ubon, also, it's a Beautiful drive to Mukdahan, National Park in the mountains, Huge Beautiful Temple in Kalasin, I heard friendly too

I agree about some South provinces. I find that the local people were not very friendy, specially close to the Malaysia border.

I neve liked big cities, specially business cities. That's why I do not liked Bankok or Nakon Ratchasima.

About beach cities. I found Cha Am location very convenient, and the local people very friendly. Low cost comparing with Hua Hin, 20 minutes away.

About mountain cities. A beautiful, but kind the busy one, is Chiang Mai. A smallest one, well located, and cheaper, is Phayao...but..no one can beat Chiang Rai in beauty, location, weather, friendly people, convenience, culture, schools, universities,...and low cost, considering all that.

Chiang Rai properties still affordable and with great potential of future appeciation considering all the new area developments, very close borders with neighboring countries, even China..A small and friendly expat community and immigration office, easy traffic, and an airport ready to become international like Chiang Mai. The bullet train from China is expected to pass trough Chiang Kong and Lampang...good choices too, and 2 hours away from Chiang Rai. Chiang Kong will grow because its new border bridge to Laos and China. Lampang is growing big because its a very good location for business, but weather is very hot in summer. Any of those cities have problems with floods.

No doubts. Good potential for new business in North Thailand....Chinese tourism and investments are coming....Ask me about.....

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1