Chinese tourists really cut in front of Thai at check-in, Lion Air staff say

webfact

555 excellent - that reminds me why I never use DM

Nothing whatsoever to do with DM.

Everything to do with Chinese behaviour.

Think before you post.

Still results from Mao's great success of making Chinese people proletarians. It will take some more decades to overcome behaviours like this, spitting everywhere, talking loundly on the phone as if there were no telephone line. As long as this hero of having millions starve is their national idol and on bank notes it may even take longer.

Chinese pushing in front of Thais,i thought Thais

were champions at that,I remember bank queues

before they started to use ropes and Q numbers,

it was like a rugby scrum with lots more players.

Regards worgeordie

These days Thais queue, at least in Bangkok. You see them queue while waiting for buses, the BTS, taxi's etc. Times have changed. I have no idea why it changed as I remember what you are referring to. Maybe just a younger generation. Obviously, the Chinese haven't got the message.

• Like 1

They act exactly the same in Australia. Just their nature and make up. Also have you ever tried to get off a plane when you have chinese in the rear, you will get stampled to death as they walk over the top of you and abuse you for being in front of them.

Edited by Kooweerup

Regards worgeordie

you have obviously never been to china and are just looking to do some thai bashing.

queue behaviour in thailand, even at its very worst, has always been light years better than what you see every single day in china.

if you dont know. dont post.

He never made any comment about the Chinese other than quoting the OP. He was expressing surprise based on his experience of Thai queuing.

If you can't read maybe you shouldn't post.

I would say that in general I've not seen any great problem with Thai queuing.

what have you been smoking?

try getting a bus in bangkok - The good old chinese pushing still exists here in thailand, doesnt matter how old you are its everyone for themselves when a bus pulls up.

I can't believe that the Thai would get upset others trying to jump in line in front of them. I always thought it was a favorite Thai pastime judging by my experiences in stores, bus stations, and least we forget, on the highways. Just that the Chinese are not so subtle about it.

The words "Chinese" and "subtle" in the same sentence??????????. If you had used the word queue in the same post you would have won the hat trick!

On arrival at CNX in March, I prepped for the possibility Chinese would jump the Immigration queue. When two duly did, I barked at them like to a dog, not just saying but shouting "Back" in English, pointed to the end of the line and then added very loudly in Mandarin "Everybody knows mainland Chinese have no manners." Made my day.

• Like 1

I'm sure most Chinese tourists are very respectable and behave well. But, recently, there have been a worrying number of 'incidents' involving Chinese people. I think China needs to address it.

Sorry, but no they are not. The average Chinese tourist would push the All Blacks scrum pack backwards if it meant getting to the front of the queue. thumbsup.gif

and Japanese

I'm sure most Chinese tourists are very respectable and behave well. But, recently, there have been a worrying number of 'incidents' involving Chinese people. I think China needs to address it.

You should try living in China as I have and I'm guessing you'ed change your opinion.

Surely this is about Chinese tourists outside of China so having experience of the Chinese in China isn't strictly relevant and doesn't alter the facts relating to Chinese tourists in Thailand.

There do seem to be a lot of posters on here who want to bring up the fact that they live in or have lived in China or they often visit China.

Just for the record I've never been to China although I'm currently working in the UK for a Chinese woman.

Remember that old seventies song. "I've been everywhere, man." With some posters (poseurs) it is still their favourite song, EVER!!!

Regards worgeordie

you have obviously never been to china and are just looking to do some thai bashing.

queue behaviour in thailand, even at its very worst, has always been light years better than what you see every single day in china.

if you dont know. dont post.

I've been living here for 18 years and I've never encountered any Thais cutting in front of a line, as a matter of fact there were more instances where we insisted to give way for one another. The Chinese however, I've seen them doing this at DM and even in Chiang Mai...lucky they didn't do it to me or I'll show them the line they never want to queue on;)

The most dangerous place in Rawai is on Viset Road where the Chinese tour busses come in an out of their office parking lot. My sphincter tightens every time I drive past it. Stevie Wonder would do a safer job taking those mobs on their nature devastation runs. Makes you wonder if stereotypes are all that wrong or often a fair estimate of what you might encounter with a specific group of people.

I lived in China. I am a polite person by nature and ended up never getting any money at the bank, tickets at the station, seats in a restaurant. I watched this for 2 months and then I started putting my training as a second row to use.

As an aside: I am always surprised at how well most Thais queue, much better than here in Cambodia and let me not even get started on Vietnam......

I once had to queue with a bunch of Vietnamese in a large visa collection queue in Laos (I was told they were Vietnamese by a stressed out official). It was the closest I've ever come to punching a woman. She was pushing me in my back. I'm not talking about a little lean or touch on the back. I'm talking about a full push with the shoulders with her legs at about 50 degrees to the floor. I turned around and gave her a look like ''What the <deleted>are you doing?' and she just grumbled something and gave me a funny look. And then tried to push me again. All the while a mob of them were pushing their way to the front of the queue with people spilling left and right. It had to be seen to be believed.

The poor Imm dudes were doing their best and losing their sh*t with them. They kept trying to put them in lines (like a kindergarten teacher would do) but as soon as the Imm officer turned around, the pushing started again. The window (for visas) finally opened and there was a massive free for all. It was a bit of a blur, but I was shoved forwards and to the side. I looked at the collection window and there was a scene a but like off 'Dawn of the Dead' with all the hands in the air and pressed against the counter. They were shoving whoever had got to the front at the window out of the way until they got to the window and then everyone would try and shove them out of the way. This cycle was repeated. No fights broke out (although a few westerners had to restrain themselves). It was like all that shoving was a perfectly normal thing to do.

If the Chinese are worse than that I'm avoiding the place for a while.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

Regards worgeordie

You haven't seen anything until you've seen "lining up" anywhere in the Middle East. In fact, there are no lines, except at international airports OUTSIDE SAUDI ARABIA.

I don't see farang doing much better lining up at Thai Immigration offices either. That's pretty much pigs at slop time.

You should try living in China as I have and I'm guessing you'ed change your opinion.

Surely this is about Chinese tourists outside of China so having experience of the Chinese in China isn't strictly relevant and doesn't alter the facts relating to Chinese tourists in Thailand.

There do seem to be a lot of posters on here who want to bring up the fact that they live in or have lived in China or they often visit China.

Just for the record I've never been to China although I'm currently working in the UK for a Chinese woman.

it's called one-upmanship, ooh look at me I've been to china and and and and.

Think before you post.

Still results from Mao's great success of making Chinese people proletarians. It will take some more decades to overcome behaviours like this, spitting everywhere, talking loundly on the phone as if there were no telephone line. As long as this hero of having millions starve is their national idol and on bank notes it may even take longer.

Don't forget public defecation

They don't just cut in front of lines but also talk to Thais like they are their masters.I had to calm down a Boot's employee from two Chinese women shouting at her.Their English was so hard to comprehend and they expected the Thais to understand it.The employee was near the boiling point, I helped her explaining to the Chinese about the buy 1 take 1 promo.

Another incident was in Chiang Mai when the Thai receptionist of the hotel was trying to explain the check-in time politely.The Chinese didn't like it and started arguing so rudely.

I can go on w more but...

• Like 1

I had a bunch of Chinese try to cut in front of me years ago, waiting in the immigration queue at the airport. I believe a tour guide or friend had been standing in front of me and when his group arrived he had them all join him in front of me. I explained that wasn't on and he sort of hissed at me or grunted something and refused to move. It didn't become physical but I was quite ready to smack him in the face if it had come to it, but decided that better than getting into a fight while trying to enter the country, was just to walk in front of the group and give him a look that told him pretty clearly that I wouldn't be putting up with any more nonsense. And that worked,

You know I kind of did the same thing but not w Chinese...they were Russians. I was coming back from a trip and lining up at Suvarnabhumi when 3 Russians (2 ladies & a man) suddenly came from the back and tried cutting off the line,they must have thought that I'm the kind of Asian woman who wears a sweet face and not say anything;p I moved forward in front of them and gave them a sweet smile...also told them to have some respect. They were actually pushed way back bec I wasn't the only one they cut-off.An English man was telling them to be nice and queue properly.

• Like 1

I've used up 2 passports travelling in Asia in the past 4 years and all asian nationalities, in my experience are bad, but Chinese are the worst! Seems they know nothing of queue etiquette!

It's the 'Quick and the dead' I'm afraid... on the flip side, they don't seem to take it personally when you push in front of them, especially when you are just re-securing the position you already had!!

Think before you post.

Mao not only was much superior to Hitler and Stalin in killing his people, but he also must have been the dirtiest pig around. In one of my books written by Chinese dissidents his personal physician is quoted saying that Mao never showered. Young girls had to lick him clean. I tend to believe that.

I've had them try to cut in front of me in the Immigration lanes at Swampy. Standing there patiently waiting my turn, next in line to go up to the counter and suddenly some Chinese guys tries elbowing his way past me while waving at his wife (5 people back in line) to follow him. He looked rather upset when he found out my elbows were larger and stronger then his, and even his fellow countrymen behind me were giving him the evil eye.

Still, not as bad as the Afghans in Kabul trying to check-in for a flight to Dubai. I was first at the counter and had 3 Indian co-workers right behind me. The Afghans started crowding around us and trying to jam their passports and tickets around me, over me, hoping the agent would grab theirs first (as it happened) where upon they quickly elbow you out of the way (or, try to, but I've played that game before and wasn't budging). The security guy started getting pissed off though and suddenly decided to push the throng behind me back to the "wait here" line. All that did was push the people right behind me back 10 feet, and the people on the left and right sides of the line surged into the empty space.

Got my boarding pass and passport and had to fight my way through the crowd to get to the Immigration queue and then into the Departure "lounge". The 3 Indians that had been directly behind me when the check-in initially opened ? Didn't make the flight. (Ariana Afghan Airlines routinely overbooks each flight by 15-20 seats and the Indian guys just weren't pushy enough to get back to the head of the line before the flight was filled.)

Oddly enough, the Afghans don't try the same BS when they are checking in for Ariana flights in Dubai, despite those flights routinely being oversold as well. I think they know if they try to get pushy in Dubai they'll get a lot worse than just being pushed back a little bit by the security people.

Interesting and amusing post. I only reply since I heard on BBC Radio4 today that tour holiday bookings for Afghanistan were up 50% this year!. There must be something about the place!

My son traveled on Air China to get back to L.A. He is 6' 1", 210 lbs. The Chinese jostled him all around at BKK, then again when they changed planes in Bejing. Finally, on reaching L.A., he taught them that you do not push Americans around in the U.S. They need to be taught manners, unfortunately.