Using A Uk Landline Phone Part 2!

ferguston

Thanks for all the helpful replies to my original enquiry.

I placed a similar posting on another UK-Thailand forum and only had silly,puerile jokes.

I brought a phone over from the UK,a BT cordless phone and a fax-machine. Please no jokes about sending a fax to Thailand!

Neither of them works. I've replaced the line connector with the lead off my Thai phone but nothing happens,no dial tone,nothing.

Please, any ideas what I can do next ?

What I don't understand - Why does the modem on my UK lap-top work?

Same as me; I brought a phone and a fax machine to Thailand from the U.K. Both won't work.

So I had to buy a fax here and two telephones.

So if anyone wants a U.K. fax machine and a U.K. telephone PM me: good luck to get them working!

I can certainly get any UK landline phone or fax working here. If you're in / near BKK or Pathum Thani drop me a PM, I'm out of the Kingdom until 4th September, so you'll have to wait a little :o

If not I can post instructions :D

I've replaced the line connector with the lead off my Thai phone but nothing happens,no dial tone,nothing.

Unfortunately it's not quite that easy :o

The UK, leading the world from behind (as usual) has a different connector (obviously), but (less obviously) a different pin allocation.

It's reasonably easy to get a UK phone to work with a simple wiring change, it's more fun to get it to ring on incoming calls :D

For the more technically minded this site should help:- http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/U..._telephone.html it's really intended to help those getting non-UK phones to work in the UK but the diagrams should help :D

Sorted! Thanks Crossy.

I cut off the UK "male" plug and spliced the red and green wires in the line cord of my UK phone into the Thai 2-core cable and,hey presto it works plus it even rings on in-coming calls!

I did the same with my fax machine with the same result except it doesn't ring on in-coming calls.

Not a real problem as the fax is used with the cordless phone attached on the same line.

Thanks again!

I did the same with my fax machine with the same result except it doesn't ring on in-coming calls.

Not a real problem as the fax is used with the cordless phone attached on the same line.

No problem, assistance like this is why the forum exists :o

BTW does your fax work for incoming documents even though it doesn't ring??

Crossy: Thanks for the info and links; looks like I can have a fax in another room now and a telephone in the bathroom.

However I have to do the electronics first.....

Another puzzler for you: One of the telephones (I bought in Thailand) works O.K. but if someone calls me, and hangs up, my telephone continues ringing, for ever until I pick it up (and there is nobody there).

This becomes a problem, if there is nobody in, because the phone rings and rings, which neighbours can here, so as a result I pull the plug before leaving.

Any reason or solution to this? Thanks.

One of the telephones (I bought in Thailand) works O.K. but if someone calls me, and hangs up, my telephone continues ringing, for ever until I pick it up (and there is nobody there).

When the phone continues to ring, does it do the normal cadence ring "ring-----ring------ring" or does the sounder just keep going continuously "Rrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnngggggggg" until you pick it up?

Also, when you pick up do you get a dial-tone?

One of the telephones (I bought in Thailand) works O.K. but if someone calls me, and hangs up, my telephone continues ringing, for ever until I pick it up (and there is nobody there).

When the phone continues to ring, does it do the normal cadence ring "ring-----ring------ring" or does the sounder just keep going continuously "Rrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnngggggggg" until you pick it up?

Also, when you pick up do you get a dial-tone?

The ringer just carries on as normal, same sound, same interval.

Then when I pick it up a dial tone, because the original caller has called off.

I have called myself, and it happens every time.