Work Permit on Tourist Visa Questions

Hi. I just got a letter from my employer in Thailand to give to the Thai embassy in Australia to be granted a work permit. Do I am currently in Thailand on a tourist double entry visa.

Would anyone happen to know if i need to return home, apply for the new visa and return with it or can I mail the application to the embassy in Australia, have them send it back and do a border run, coming back in from Cambodia etc on my new visa?

Also, another question I have is that the work visa is only for 3 months (probation period). But the permit date requested is on the day I start work. Can i only come into the country on the day I start work? That would be nuts....

A embassy does not issue work permits. That is done by the labor ministry here.

You cannot apply for a visa in Australia if are already here. You would have to apply there in person.

You can get a single entry non immigrant B visa at a nearby embassy with documents from the company and a work permit approval letter from the labor ministry.

You employer can apply for your work permit by submitting a WP1 with supporting documents to the labor ministry. This can be done with your current tourist visa entry.

can I mail the application to the embassy in Australia, have them send it back and do a border run,.

The correct process has been explained above.

Do not think about letting your passport leave this country unless you are with it.

I am assuming your were considering mailing both your passport and application to Australia?

Glad you sought advice here.