Paypal And Thailand

Bumping this because I've been trying to add my account for the past hour but to no avail. I'm with Kasikorn Bank, and on my debit card it doesn't even have my name, only "Privileged Member". However, my account book does have my name. But it seems that paypal only allows you to add a debit card or credit card, not a Thai account. I'm pretty much giving up -- I'll pay the 500 baht fee to transfer funds to my US bank account rather than deal with this hassle.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bumping this because I've been trying to add my account for the past hour but to no avail. I'm with Kasikorn Bank, and on my debit card it doesn't even have my name, only "Privileged Member". However, my account book does have my name. But it seems that paypal only allows you to add a debit card or credit card, not a Thai account. I'm pretty much giving up -- I'll pay the 500 baht fee to transfer funds to my US bank account rather than deal with this hassle.

You are in exact same situaion as I was. What you need to do is to apply for a web-shopping card. If you have online access, you can do it all online. The web-shopping card is a virtual pre-pay credit type of card, linked to your account with a limit set by you. Once you have this card - you can use this to open a PayPal account in thailand - which I've done.

But take note!.... The "automated PayPal system" didn't allow me to transfer to my PayPal account linked to my UK bank account (after one time), so was quite useless for me to transfer money to my UK bank account (talking about relatively small amounts here as well). I called the PayPal customer service in Singapore, and they suggested to me to fund my Thai PayPal account with other means, add a US credit card to the account or simply wait a for a period of time until I try the transfer again. Not reliable! and I've given up on it already.

• 2 weeks later...
You can use Thai debit cards.

I use the Bangkok Bank Be1st card (available for everybody, including Foreigners). I cannot fund the paypal account, but when I do a payment with paypal, my card gets charged directly. Works flawlessly!

works fine ... any card is accepted .. exept debits from thailand

another way is you get a debit outside the US . like payoneer.com

(i have this solution works perfectly)

I have a Bangkok Bank Be1st card. This used to work flawlessly also. But Bangkok Bank have now canceled this service... anyone know why? Is there anything we can do?

A warning to anyone who will be transferring a large ammount via paypal. DONT DO IT.

Paypal froze my account for no reason and held 9000 GBP of my money for 180 days b4 releasing it!

They can do anything they want! Its in the terms and conditions

Thats the box u clicked when signing up, I bet you know never read it to did ya!!

A warning to anyone who will be transferring a large ammount via paypal. DONT DO IT.

Paypal froze my account for no reason and held 9000 GBP of my money for 180 days b4 releasing it!

They can do anything they want! Its in the terms and conditions

Thats the box u clicked when signing up, I bet you know never read it to did ya!!

Shocking !

Tom, would you mind me asking exactly how much you mean by "large ammount" ? Was it 9,000 GBP that you attempted to withdraw ?

I have a Bangkok Bank Be1st card and this used to work with PayPal. Bangkok Bank no longer allow its use with PayPal.

Where can I apply for a Payoneer card?

Edited by Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Palpal also froze my account also with about 2,000GBP for undue reason and it took me 6-7 weeks of constant phone calls,faxes etc to get my money released.

Also had ebay seller purchase an item for 320 GBP and took out a claim and had my money frozen in my palpal account, said item was not as stated and demanded 25% back off item price to close the case. After so much hassle i had no option but to agree and return him 80GBP just to get back account functional again.

Paypal can do what they like and they usually do...

Edited by Kadafi

I have a Bangkok Bank Be1st card and this used to work with PayPal. Bangkok Bank no longer allow its use with PayPal.

Where can I apply for a Payoneer card?

Not sure what you problem is, mine is still working (it was however verified on paypal through the extended use code)...

• 2 months later...

sounds like non-US accounts have a minor advantage then IF they can add from a non-US account and withdraw to their US account and vica versa while incurring lower fees than the average wire transfer fee. Any idea/info regarding this?

The advantage is really minor because most non-US PayPal members don't have access to US bank accounts. For small amounts your idea may be a viable. Above $1000 it won't make sense because you always lose about 2% when PayPal converts the currencies as they use their own very unfavorable exchange rates. Another point: It is not clear yet if there will be transfer fees for withdrawals to Thai bank accounts. In Singapore only transfers abouve SGD 199 are free. Furthermore, the question is whether the Thai banks will charge for incoming PayPal transfers. If PayPal transfer the money internationally the banks may charge their usual 200 Baht fee, as they do with Moneybookers.

Moneybookers allow debit transfers to and from Thai bank accounts?

Told me only CCards a few months back has it changed?

Moneybookers are not allowing tranfer from/to gaming sites since last month.

• 10 months later...

Schwab bank offers atm's with no fees at all and they also give you the REAL exchange rate (look it on your receipt then compare with the FOREX rate. I opened one after my second trip and it made a huge difference. I get refunds for the ATM fees other banks charge. I asked how can they do that and not lose the shirts off their backs? THey said banking is a way to draw customers into investing and investing is where their bread and butter are.

For me, they've been a dream. My fiancee has an atm. They make you open to associated accounts per atm so I have one and she's got one. I just transfer whatever she'll need and tell her when it's there (takes about 1-2 days) just to keep it safe. I let the rest of the money hang in the associated savings accounts and x-fer to the checking for ATM withdrawal when I need it. All these years and I was PAYING to have a bank account. Now they pay me (a small interest rate) and they don't charge a penny for any of their services. Go ahead and research; it's true. I love Schwab; they've been really good to me.

I leave tomorrow and whenever I call, they pick the phone right up (Bank of america even though I issued a travel alert closed my atm's and credit cards and used up my calling card waiting on hold at 2am TWICE). Schwab picks the phone right up. There's no comparison.

By the way, it is true. I've had paypal for 9 years and they've frozen my money many times for no reason. They charge high fees and they're NOT a bank so nothing is guaranteed. I've been scammed and there's no recourse lile Visa has. Everything is up to them on a whim. Read paypalsucks website and learn what they do to people. Ihave a friend who's for $1300 stuck for 7 months and they won't give him any explanation other than "fraud prevention". He's livid but they won't tell him why. I thought surely someone had to do something risky but it's jsut not true. They hold my money a lot so I'm done with them and use google for paying online things and Schwab for credit and atm purchases and money in Thailand.

When my fiancee comes here, we're leaving the ATM with family so sending money will be soooo easy. No more wire fees, no more atm fees. At least one thing is going well (now if I can find another job.....)!

Although paypal is available Thai banks are not. I've tried for a year to connect pay pal with family bank account with no luck. You need a business and x amount for 1 year average in order to connect to paypal. One thing THEY CAN DIP INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT AT A WHIM and you have no recourse cause you clicked the "user agreement" no visa protection because it's straight out of your checking acct! Read the user agreement. Far too much power, really!

Edited by HYENA

Although paypal is available Thai banks are not. I've tried for a year to connect pay pal with family bank account with no luck. You need a business and x amount for 1 year average in order to connect to paypal. One thing THEY CAN DIP INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT AT A WHIM and you have no recourse cause you clicked the "user agreement" no visa protection because it's straight out of your checking acct! Read the user agreement. Far too much power, really!

I'm not sure what you mean with this.

You cannot fund your paypal account from a Thai bank account directly.

You can couple and verify a Thai Visa Electron Debit card with paypal however. Any purchases done through paypal will be charged to that card, so not really needed to fund your paypal account.

You can couple a Thai bank account to your paypal account so you can withdraw paypal funds to your Thai account...

I'm not that worried about fraud, and the power that paypal has to charge my card. I simply have two accounts with the same bank, with internet banking. I need to buy something on-line, I just transfer the needed funds to the account which has the card attached to it. It's a debit card, so only the funds available in your bank account can get charged, anything over will just bounce.