2-year-old boy shoots mother dead in US

webfact

Where are you guys coming up with, the gun was cocked?

Did she make a mistake? Yes, apparently she over estimated the security that specialized purse provided, and she under estimated the abilities of her 2 year old.

Well as I said in my post

"Yes I did not really note if they ever said what that lady had in the way of a gun

But being the US I would guess a semi auto"

Meaning not having seen any info I am assuming but

When I say cocked I mean likely RTF (ready to fire) state because

1- If it was a small semi-auto like most women carry it would be unlikely the small child

would remove it from her bag & then rack the slide etc. point & fire.

2- if it was a revolver the child could fire it if it was in a cocked state (hammer back)

but unlikely he could pull the trigger thru the double action if the hammer was not back.

(then again MW kids are pretty big so anything is possible I guess & it was small caliber)

But gun type state of readiness etc aside mainly this.............

As for carrying & what I thought wrong with her method is there is no point in any

even "specialized purse" as you put it.....if that purse is out of your reach & in the

reach of a child or worse. If a 2yr old could take it & use it on her then of course so could anyone else

Kind of defeats the whole purpose

Edited by mania

Where are you guys coming up with, the gun was cocked?

Did she make a mistake? Yes, apparently she over estimated the security that specialized purse provided, and she under estimated the abilities of her 2 year old.

Well as I said in my post

"Yes I did not really note if they ever said what that lady had in the way of a gun

But being the US I would guess a semi auto"

Meaning not having seen any info I am assuming but

When I say cocked I mean likely RTF (ready to fire) state because

1- If it was a small semi-auto like most women carry it would be unlikely the small child

would remove it from her bag & then rack the slide etc. point & fire.

2- if it was a revolver the child could fire it if it was in a cocked state (hammer back)

but unlikely he could pull the trigger thru the double action if the hammer was not back.

(then again MW kids are pretty big so anything is possible I guess & it was small caliber)

But gun type state of readiness etc aside mainly this.............

As for carrying & what I thought wrong with her method is there is no point in any

even "specialized purse" as you put it.....if that purse is out of your reach & in the

reach of a child or worse. If a 2yr old could take it & use it on her then of course so could anyone else

Kind of defeats the whole purpose

In the U.S. I think most of us would only use the term cocked, if the hammer was pulled back, not simply having a round in the chamber. I have read that it was a 9mm, but have yet to see the name of the manufacture. Some semi autos can have one in the chamber, and can be fired by pulling the hammer to the cocked position, then pulling the trigger to fire. In this case, I don't see how one would know without knowing the brand and model.

I agree, she should not have left the bag in the child's reach, but as I said, she under estimated the situation, and, or was distracted, tragic mistake.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 1

Many anti-gun posters on Thai Visa, bring up the fact Australians gave up their guns. The Australian government not only took their guns away but their right to protect themselves in their own home. I’m sure the 80 million plus legal gun owners in America, will eventually see the logic in that.

The anti-gun nuts think confiscating guns from all legal gun owners will be the cure to all these terrible shootings. In this case, the cure is far worst than the disease. Incidents continually take place all over America, where legal gun owners successfully defend themselves against armed robbers or intruders. Liberals tend to completely ignore this fact.

Anti-gun nuts, can continue with their hysterical rantings, weeping, and wringing their hands over gun ownership in America, but the 2nd Amendment isn’t going anywhere.

• Like 1

Many anti-gun posters on Thai Visa, bring up the fact Australians gave up their guns. The Australian government not only took their guns away but their right to protect themselves in their own home. I’m sure the 80 million plus legal gun owners in America, will eventually see the logic in that.

The anti-gun nuts think confiscating guns from all legal gun owners will be the cure to all these terrible shootings. In this case, the cure is far worst than the disease. Incidents continually take place all over America, where legal gun owners successfully defend themselves against armed robbers or intruders. Liberals tend to completely ignore this fact.

Anti-gun nuts, can continue with their hysterical rantings, weeping, and wringing their hands over gun ownership in America, but the 2nd Amendment isn’t going anywhere.

How about the need for an assault rifle or sniper rifle "to protect your American home"?

You really need to watch Jim Jefferies' latest stand up "Bare" he's hit the nail right on the head.

The second amendment needs to be amended.

I remember playing golf at Siam Country Club in Pattaya when they had armed guards stationed along the 7th hole to prevent armed robberies.

Don't ever remember needing armed guards on the golf courses anywhere else but Saudi Arabia.

Rant away.

How about the need for an assault rifle or sniper rifle "to protect your American home"?

You really need to watch Jim Jefferies' latest stand up "Bare" he's hit the nail right on the head.

I never met anyone who uses an assault rifle or sniper rifle to protect their home. I'm not certain what you are trying to imply. Most home owners in the U.S. own a handgun or shotgun. You may weep and wring your hands from now to dooms day, the 2nd Amendment isn't going anywhere.

• Like 1

7x7:

You keep criticizing posters that post on events in the UK, saying they are 6,000 miles away and don't know what is happening in your little part of the world.

How far away from the US are you located?

Someone asked for a comparison; I gave one.

Another poster commented on that comparison, I asked a question about that comment.

I do not criticise people who comment on events in the UK. I criticise those who claim to know exactly what everyday life in the UK is like today when they live in Thailand and so have no real experience of it.

Nowhere have I said that I know exactly what everyday life is like in the US today; and I wont as I have no real experience of it.

• Like 1

(Some quotes removed to comply with forum software)

They (USA & Japan) are very different countries with very different populations. The US is diverse and includes numerous ethic and racial groups. Japan is relatively homogeneous. The US is connected to Mexico on the South and Mexico is a well armed country with a fair number of illegals crossing the border. Japan is an island. Drugs being smuggled into the US are done so with well armed groups, this is less of a problem in Japan.

If you have fewer guns, at least if you could have a lot fewer guns, then there would most likely be fewer gun deaths, but the comparison you are using is not the best.

So it's all the fault of those nasty Mexicans; you need your guns to defend yourselves from them?
I see you can't have a reasonable discussion on any subject. At no time did I make a statement that Mexican's were the problem.

So why did you mention Mexico and illegals crossing the border from there?

Note that, like before, I have ended the sentence with '?'; that means I'm asking a question.

If comparing Japan, a country with strict gun control, and the USA, a country with far less strict gun control, is not the best; which other country would you choose to show the difference which strict gun control makes to the crime rate; especially the violent crime rate?

The well armed groups I was referring to are the drug dealers. I very much doubt that the majority of illegals crossing in search of work are what would be considered as well-armed. They may be desperate and the organizers are often well-armed. It's difficult at night to figure out if they are drug dealers or not.

Mexico is most certainly not the cause of the US drug problem or the problem of guns. They are the transit area for many factors that contribute to a dangerous situation.

What country should you compare it to. I don't know. Most countries are unique and even if you do find a reasonable comparison, it won't change the minds of many of the people posting here nor the majority of the people in the US.

• Like 1

Guns To Surpass Car Accidents As Leading Cause Of Deaths Among Young People

In 2010, 6,201 young people between the ages of 15 and 24 died by gunfire. Guns were a close second to the leading cause of death among this age group, car accidents, which took the lives of 7,024 young people that year. But, while car accident deaths among young people have been steadily declining over the past decade, gun deaths have remained relatively unchanged. And, as described in a new Center for American Progress report released Friday, if current trends continue, gun deaths will surpass car accident deaths among young people sometime in 2015

I haven't driven in the US for quite a while, but while traveling through the US and Canada, it's pretty safe. Good roads, well designed and reasonably good law enforcement.

Mexico is not nearly as nice for driving.

But this is about guns deaths which seem steady and car accidents which seem to be decreasing. At least amongst the 15 - 24 year olds. That is a pretty dangerous age range to begin with. Young people, especially men, tend to die at high rate during those ages.

• Like 1

<snip>

Anyway, your hysterical rantings, and weeping over gun ownership in America, has no merit. America is a lot different than the UK, Japan, or Australia, where their citizens aren't allowed to own firearms. These countries aren't plagued with minority gang members running amok shooting each other and innocent people.

Does it not occur to you that if guns were not so easy to obtain then there would be far less, as you put it, "running amok shooting each other and innocent people?"

We have similar gangs in the UK; but we also have stricter gun control than you. Yes, criminals can and do get hold of guns in the UK; but we do not have very many incidents of gang members "running amok shooting each other and innocent people."

We certainly do not have any tragedies such as the one in the OP and the many others we have seen reported over the last year.

You don't need your second amendment anymore; the Revolutionary War is over, the Native Americans all killed or pacified.

• Like 1

<snip>

Anyway, your hysterical rantings, and weeping over gun ownership in America, has no merit. America is a lot different than the UK, Japan, or Australia, where their citizens aren't allowed to own firearms. These countries aren't plagued with minority gang members running amok shooting each other and innocent people.

Does it not occur to you that if guns were not so easy to obtain then there would be far less, as you put it, "running amok shooting each other and innocent people?"

We have similar gangs in the UK; but we also have stricter gun control than you. Yes, criminals can and do get hold of guns in the UK; but we do not have very many incidents of gang members "running amok shooting each other and innocent people."

We certainly do not have any tragedies such as the one in the OP and the many others we have seen reported over the last year.

You don't need your second amendment anymore; the Revolutionary War is over, the Native Americans all killed or pacified.

The liberal anti-gun nuts want to take guns away from law abiding citizens. Criminals will have guns and access to guns regardless. The gang problem in the UK, pails compared to what is happening in America.

Hasn't it occurred to you, America is a lot different from the UK. I doubt if many Americans concern themselves with what goes on in the UK. I wonder why people from the UK, would care about gun ownership in America?

Live and let live. Minding your own business tends to work well for most people and even countries. Thanks for sharing your comment about Native Americans. OMG!

<snip>

"You don't need your second amendment anymore; the Revolutionary War is over, the Native Americans all killed or pacified."

You might want to retract that statement in light of the following statement you made in post number 190.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Nowhere have I said that I know exactly what everyday life is like in the US today; and I wont as I have no real experience of it."

Your comment about not needing the second amendment would certainly lead one to believe you know exactly what everyday life in the US is like and which protections US citizens need or don't need.

You can't have it both ways.

Edited by chuckd
  • Like 1

<snip>

The liberal anti-gun nuts want to take guns away from law abiding citizens. Criminals will have guns and access to guns regardless. The gang problem in the UK, pails compared to what is happening in America.

Hasn't it occurred to you, America is a lot different from the UK. I doubt if many Americans concern themselves with what goes on in the UK. I wonder why people from the UK, would care about gun ownership in America?

Live and let live. Minding your own business tends to work well for most people and even countries. Thanks for sharing your comment about Native Americans. OMG!

I love this post!

'Minding your own business tends to work well...'

An American preaching other countries to mind their own business. To 'live and let live'.

My God! The hypocrisy! From a citizen of the number one country in the world for meddling in others affairs and NOT living and let live.

You guys like to export 'the American way' to the world, but you cant cop it when the world points out how your perfect country is falling behind. Eg gun lack of control.

The senseless massacres your people perpetrate on each other in schools etc from time to time are as much an affront to humanity as the IS beheadings. But at least IS have a coherent (if seriously misguided) philosophy, unlike some simply angry, disturbed schoolkid with an automatic weapon (one of your beloved 'law abiding citizens' who can be trusted so implicity with weapons capable of rapid fire mass murder).

So thats why we're commenting on your outdated 2nd amendment. Cause it gives the green light to massacres that offend every moral, right thinking person on the planet.

Live and let live is exactly why the 2nd amendment should be repealed! So some law abiding idiot citizen cant walk out on the street and kill 10 of his neighbours who are just 'living and let living'.

Is that so hard to understand??

Edited by simondan
  • Like 2

<snip>

I love this post!

'Minding your own business tends to work well...'

An American preaching other countries to mind their own business. To 'live and let live'.

My God! The hypocrisy! From a citizen of the number one country in the world for meddling in others affairs and NOT living and let live.

You guys like to export 'the American way' to the world, but you cant cop it when the world points out how your perfect country is falling behind. Eg gun lack of control.

The senseless massacres your people perpetrate on each other in schools etc from time to time are as much an affront to humanity as the IS beheadings. But at least IS have a coherent (if seriously misguided) philosophy, unlike some simply angry, disturbed schoolkid with an automatic weapon (one of your beloved 'law abiding citizens' who can be trusted so implicity with weapons capable of rapid fire mass murder).

So thats why we're commenting on your outdated 2nd amendment. Cause it gives the green light to massacres that offend every moral, right thinking person on the planet.

Live and let live is exactly why the 2nd amendment should be repealed! So some law abiding idiot citizen cant walk out on the street and kill 10 of his neighbours who are just 'living and let living'.

Is that so hard to understand??

Apparently, you along with the anti-gun nuts, don't understand that confiscating guns from law abiding Americans, will leave criminals and law enforcement as the only people with firearms. If that isn't bad enough, liberals are siding with criminals encouraging people to protest against and attack police officers in America.

This may come as a shock to you but I have nothing to do with what America does or doesn't do. The last time I checked, the UK was standing shoulder to shoulder with the U.S. when they "meddle in others affairs."

Thanks for sharing your hysterical rant. You can weep all you want over gun ownership in America. The fact is, the 2nd Amendment isn't going anyplace. "Is that so hard to understand?"

Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed. Trolling nonsense posts have been removed. A post with derogatory slurs toward Americans has been removed.

Please stay on the topic of the thread. That means addressing the issues presented in the post, not in making comments to or about other posters. Doing so is off-topic and your post will be removed and you could face a suspension.

You have every right to express your opinion about the topic. You may disagree, but it must be done in a civil manner.

Edit: Some more off topic posts and replies have been removed. This is not about the sale of assault rifles or assault weapons or who started wars, or who lost what war, etc.

Edited by metisdead
Added note.

I never met anyone who uses an assault rifle or sniper rifle to protect their home. I'm not certain what you are trying to imply. Most home owners in the U.S. own a handgun or shotgun. You may weep and wring your hands from now to dooms day, the 2nd Amendment isn't going anywhere.

Exactly what I mean... The likes of you can go down the road, walk into a shop and come out armed to hell with one of these things!!

YOU MISSED THE WHOLE POINT!!!

YOU DON'T NEED to be able to own such weapons!!!

ALL fully automatic weapons should be limited to the armed forces anyway!

If you really were to fight against the government one day, do you really think you'll have the slightest chance of overpowering them??

NEVER! It ain't never gonna happen!

Automatic weapons are largely banned from public use and have been for decades . Only specially vetted gun owners may have them.

Check out the following that are applicable to the use and ownership of automatic weapons:

National Firearms Act of 1934

Gun Control Act of 1968

Hughes Amendment of 1986

PS: CAPS don't help your argument. They only make you look desperate.

Fairly easy to obtain Class III license provided you are not a criminal with a record. Hard to buy legal fully auto as they are pretty dang expensive so I suppose costs help keep them out if the hands of your typical street thug.

The strict Class III registration requirements and culpability for illegal transfers or sales if these weapons also have worked in keeping them out if hands of street thugs.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

7x7:

You keep criticizing posters that post on events in the UK, saying they are 6,000 miles away and don't know what is happening in your little part of the world.

How far away from the US are you located?

Someone asked for a comparison; I gave one.

Another poster commented on that comparison, I asked a question about that comment.

I do not criticise people who comment on events in the UK. I criticise those who claim to know exactly what everyday life in the UK is like today when they live in Thailand and so have no real experience of it.

Nowhere have I said that I know exactly what everyday life is like in the US today; and I wont as I have no real experience of it.

Then why do you care so much, some inmate need to act superior to driven by a deep seeded inferiority complex . . .?

Oh, by the way I, like you do and pointed out, used a "?" to make it appear as a question and not an accusation even though it is more of an accusation and question for which I am not seeking answer as I already know your answer even before question asked.

We banned everything including air rifles in Australia after some nut killed 30 people at Pt Arthur. Except for registered sport shooters and licensed hunters (and even they cant own semi autos).

And we havent had a mass shooting since (22 years). It worked. Violent crime didnt go up. The govt didnt take over our lives or start arbitrarily locking people up. Slowly but surely the police are removing illegal guns from criminals and there is now a lack of a public, legal pool to replenish them.

youtube/fP3HJVp3n9c [emoji106]
  • Like 1

We banned everything including air rifles in Australia after some nut killed 30 people at Pt Arthur. Except for registered sport shooters and licensed hunters (and even they cant own semi autos).

And we havent had a mass shooting since (22 years). It worked. Violent crime didnt go up. The govt didnt take over our lives or start arbitrarily locking people up. Slowly but surely the police are removing illegal guns from criminals and there is now a lack of a public, legal pool to replenish them.

Similar to the UK. There was never really an issue with gun crime but when handguns were banned it dropped to even lower levels.

Never going to adjust the 2nd amendment but the restrictions on sale and manufacture of ammunition could be implemented easily. Even this will not happen because the NRA own too many politicians.

Wolf PAC is an American political action committee formed in 2011 with the goal of "ending corporate personhood and publicly financing all elections in our country", to include the restriction of large monetary donations to political candidates, parties, and groups.[4][5] It began with an announcement at an Occupy Wall Street rally in New York City by The Young Turks host Cenk Uygur.[6]

Its strategy is to add a 28th amendment to the Constitution, thereby overturning multiple Supreme Court cases including Citizens United v. FEC and Buckley v. Valeo, which cumulatively have made it impossible to achieve Wolf PAC's campaign finance goals through simple legislation. Wolf PAC believes that Congress is too corrupt to pass such an amendment itself, and therefore advocates a convention of the States, which is a procedure outlined in Article V of the Constitution. As of December 2014, three out of the necessary thirty-four states have passed resolutions calling for such a convention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_PAC

The victim here was not someone from a trailer park, she was actually a nuclear scientist, so presumably an educated and intelligent person. It beggars belief that she could be so negligent and stupid.

It doesn't - everyone is sometimes negligent and/or stupid, especially with a nagging 2 year old on your arm.

It was a stupid accident, nothing less, nothing more.

• Like 1

The victim here was not someone from a trailer park, she was actually a nuclear scientist, so presumably an educated and intelligent person. It beggars belief that she could be so negligent and stupid.

It doesn't - everyone is sometimes negligent and/or stupid, especially with a nagging 2 year old on your arm.

It was a stupid accident, nothing less, nothing more.

Exactly, even the best parents have lapses. God knows my wife and I do. Sadly, lapses with guns can be permanent.