New Poll! 57% Of Iraqis: Things Are Better Now!

Membrane

How interesting... :o It seems that the MAJORITY of Iraqis are GLAD the U.S. invaded their country and ousted Saddam!

HERE'S PROOF FROM THE IRAQI PEOPLE!

From the BBC:

BBC poll finds most Iraqis say their lives are better. At home, there is a narrow majority supporting the war

Date : 16.03.2004

To mark the first anniversary of the war in Iraq, the BBC has commissioned two major polls.

The first, by Oxford Research International, is the biggest survey of Iraqis ever undertaken.

One year on from the war, more than 2,500 Iraqis were asked about their lives today.

Overwhelmingly they say life is good right now, and more of them support than oppose the war.

The second - a poll of British public opinion by ICM for Newsnight - shows a significant level of support for the Prime Minister, with a narrow majority in the UK now in favour of the war (48% in favour; 43% against).

Of the people who expressed an opinion, it was very close as to whether people thought the war was legal or not (37% thought it was legal; 39% who thought it was illegal).

When asked which of the three main political leaders the British public would most trust to make the best decision next time Britain has to take military action, more said they supported Tony Blair than either Michael Howard or Charles Kennedy.

There will be full coverage of the findings across BBC News from BBC ONE's Breakfast and Radio 4's Today programme onwards.

Iraq war - right or wrong

"Thinking about the build-up to the Iraq war and everything that has happened since, do you think that taking military action was the right thing to do, or the wrong thing to do?"

Right 48%

Wrong 43%

Don't Know 9%

Did the Government lie about WMD?

"In the run up to the war with Iraq, do you think Tony Blair and his Government…"

Told the truth about WMD 29%

Exaggerated but did not lie about WMD 40%

Lied about WMD 22%

Who would you trust to decide next time?

"If the British Government had to decide again whether to take military action, who would you trust to make the best decision?"

Tony Blair 32%

Michael Howard 22%

Charles Kennedy 17%

None of them 13%

Don't know 15%

Source: BBC/ICM, 10-12 March 2004, sample 1,014

The UK poll conducted by ICM will feature in One Year On: Iraq - a Newsnight Special on BBC TWO today (Tuesday 16 March) at 9.00 pm.

The second poll was jointly sponsored by the BBC, ABC News, German network ARD and NHK in Japan, with field work by Oxford Research International of Oxford, England.

The poll consisted of in-person interviews conducted from 10 to 28 February with a random, nationally representative sample of 2,500 Iraqis.

Interviews for the survey were conducted from 223 randomly selected sampling points across the country.

The Iraqi people are optimistic about their future with 70% declaring that life today is good.

The poll results show that a majority (57%) of Iraqis think things are better now than before the war.

However, 85% said regaining public security was the major priority and only 25% had confidence in the coalition forces.

More Iraqis (49%) still believe that the coalition invasion was right compared to those (39%) who thought it was wrong.

When asked about what Iraq needs at this time, whilst 86% answered "an Iraqi democracy", 81% also mentioned "a single strong Iraqi leader".

The highlights of the Iraq survey are as follows:

• Overall, 70% of Iraqis say that their life these days is good, compared with 29% who say their life is bad.

• Compared with just before the war in 2003, 57% of Iraqis now say their life is better overall, compared with 19% who say it is worse and 23% who say it is about the same.

71% of Iraqis expect their lives to be better in a year from now, compared with 6% who expect life to be worse and 9% who say life will remain about the same.

Half of Iraqis (49%) believe the invasion of Iraq by the US-led coalition was right, compared with 39% who thought it was wrong.

• Opinion was evenly split on whether the invasion humiliated Iraq (41%) or liberated it (42%). Almost one in five respondents (17%) refused to comment.

• Asked about conditions where they lived, 69% said the availability of jobs was bad and 64% said the same about the electricity supply. 72% said conditions in local schools were good but respondents were evenly split on the whether the local security situation, supply of clean water and availability of medical care was good or bad.

• In terms of the top three priorities in Iraq over the next 12 months, regaining public security rated by far the highest (85%), followed by holding elections for a national government (30%), ensuring the majority of Iraqis can make a decent living (30%) and reviving the economy (28%).

• Among those who had heard of them, Iraq's religious leaders scored the highest level of confidence (70%). But they were closely followed by the police (68%) and then by the new Iraqi army (56%). At the other end of the scale, only 25% expressed confidence in the US/UK occupation forces and 28% in both Iraq's political parties and the Coalition Provisional Authority.

• When asked about what Iraq needs at this time, whilst 86% answered "an Iraqi democracy", 81% also mentioned "a single strong Iraqi leader".

• In terms of the future structure of Iraq, 79% wanted "one unified Iraq with central government in Baghdad", compared with 14% who wanted regional governments with a federal government in Baghdad. Only 4% favoured dividing Iraq into separate independent states.

• When asked what political actions by other people would be acceptable, whilst the overwhelming majority of respondents thought any violence was unacceptable, some 17% said attacks on coalition forces would be acceptable, 14% said the same about attacks on the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) and 10% thought attacks on foreigners working alongside the CPA would be acceptable.

• In terms of the continuing presence of the coalition forces in Iraq, 39% of respondents supported their presence, compared with 51% who were opposed to it.

• As for what would be most effective in improving security in Iraq, 96% said that creating jobs would be most effective, 93% said training and hiring more Iraqi local police and 87% said transferring all political authority to an Iraqi government.

• Whilst 15% said the coalition forces should leave Iraq immediately, 36% said they should remain until an Iraqi government was in place and a further 18% said "until security is restored".

Absolutely! Beats getting fed into the plastic shredding machines, gang-raped in Uday's Rape Rooms etc.

Membrane - perhaps these figures will shed light into that dim recess of a cranial cavity that Taiquila calls a brain and make him think? :o

Boon Mee

Yes, it made me think.

I am glad that more people are happy there and I am happy Saddam is captured.

Personally, I also think the chances that Iraq will become a democracy like Turkey is basically nil. Their future is likely to involve ethnic civil wars and if they do manage to unite, they appear to have an affinity for ISLAMIC THEOCRACY, not democracy. As far as I am concerned, they can have what they want, but I don't think that is the Bushies had in mind by liberating them. Their so called constitution is related to Islamic law, which Hussein's rule wasn't. You can see in the Taliban's Afghanistan what happens when Islamic law gets taken literally. (Reminder: women stoned to death for adultery, etc.)

Also, and most importantly, the US has spent BILLIONS of dollars it doesn't have and hundreds of lives for a war (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/news/iraq/casualties) that was NOT NEEDED for the security of the United States. That is utter folly when the US desparately needs that money to fight actual, immediate threats to US, not to mention the domestic needs, which in the many areas such as health care and joblessness are at a crisis level. I say build hospitals in Iraq or anywhere else AFTER all US citizens have access to health care.

Taiquila,

Don't believe we've touched on the Mass Graves issue yet:

"Iraq's Legacy of Terror: Mass Graves," a new report from the U.S. Agency for International Development, illuminates this aspect of Hussein's brutality. The paper — compiled by USAID staffers Ben Barber and Stephen Epstein, with graphic, jarring photographs by Thomas Hartwell — is available online at www.usaid.gov/iraq/legacyofterror.html.

"In June 2003, I visited Iraq's mass graves, the most recent addition to mankind's legacy of mass murder," writes USAID administrator Andrew Natsios. "The bones tell a story of horror and shame: arms bound together, skulls pierced from behind. Hundreds in one long trench."

According to the study, 270 mass graves have been reported since Hussein fell last May. Since then, 53 sites have been confirmed. "Some graves hold a few dozen bodies," the authors explain. "Other graves go on for hundreds of meters, densely packed with thousands of bodies.

And, how about those 50 million folks who are currently above ground in Iraq giving thanks to Allah for the Collation of the Willing???

Boon Mee

Yes, it made me think.

I am glad that more people are happy there and I am happy Saddam is captured.

Personally, I also think the chances that Iraq will become a democracy like Turkey is basically nil. Their future is likely to involve ethnic civil wars and if they do manage to unite, they appear to have an affinity for ISLAMIC THEOCRACY, not democracy.

If the US is forced out of Iraq by the liberal media and American citizens who are not willing to stay the course, Habib Al Thaiquila's opinion will certainly prevail.

The mess we will have caused, is going to be 100 times worse than now, but we will have pulled out already, just waiting for the consequences.

A good way to turn a victory into sh1t.

BBC or Amnesty International?!

If I am not mistaken it was you Membrane, who said - you cant take polls seriously - was it not, but now things are different?

Heres a tit bit for the murder at will boys!

10.000 Civilians Killed in Iraq in a Year

Thursday 18 March 2004

In a report made public a few days before the first anniversary of the United States' start of the war in Iraq, Amnesty International denounces the "flagrant human rights violations" there.

More than 10.000 Iraqi civilians have been killed since the American invasion of Iraq a year ago, asserts Amnesty International, which denounces the "flagrant violations" of human rights in the country in a report released March 18. These figures corroborate the figure given by Iraq Body Count, a site which captures and collates data from numerous sources and which exceeded the threshold of 10,000 civilians killed on February 8.

"One year after the beginning of the war in Iraq, the promise of an improvement in human rights for Iraqis is far from being realized," asserts the human rights defense organization in its report.

According to Amnesty, it is estimated that "over 10,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed in a year as a result of the military intervention in Iraq and the occupation which has followed. "One year after the war began, Iraqi civilians are still being killed every day," emphasizes the report, according to which, "a great number of them seem to have died either because of excessive use of force by American troops or were killed in controversial circumstances."

Death in Detention

Amnesty recalls that it was "asked on several occasions to produce an independent and impartial inquiry into the civilians killed by coalition forces.

At the same time, the report emphasizes, "Iraqi civilians confront the danger represented by attacks apparently conducted by armed groups, which have "killed hundreds of civilians," according to the communiqué.

The report adds that "thousands of people have been detained (by coalition forces), often under difficult conditions, many have been tortured, and some have died in detention."

Amnesty indicates that the Provisional Authority of the United States-led coalition "acknowledges detaining 8,500 people, but an Iraqi human rights organization estimates the number of prisoners at 15,000."

I dont think, the poll included these people!

If I am not mistaken it was you Membrane, who said - you cant take polls seriously - was it not, but now things are different?

No Gent, I think you're mistaken (again). But feel free to do a search on my name and wade through all my posts and prove me wrong.

If I said anything along those lines, it was more that you have to be careful to which "polls" you listen to. Obviously, if the poll was only voted on by you, Thaiqila, Kwiz, Ajarn, and Butterfly, then the results of the poll would be skewed.

That's why you need a large enough sample, to make it more statistically accurate.

Understand?

And, how about those 50 million folks who are currently above ground in Iraq ...

I thought Irak population was about 23,750,180 inhabitant at the last census ?

I know it was before the last "Religion war", but I doubt so many were killed... :o

Taiquila,

Don't believe we've touched on the Mass Graves issue yet:

"Iraq's Legacy of Terror: Mass Graves," a new report from the U.S. Agency for International Development, illuminates this aspect of Hussein's brutality. The paper — compiled by USAID staffers Ben Barber and Stephen Epstein, with graphic, jarring photographs by Thomas Hartwell — is available online at www.usaid.gov/iraq/legacyofterror.html.

"In June 2003, I visited Iraq's mass graves, the most recent addition to mankind's legacy of mass murder," writes USAID administrator Andrew Natsios. "The bones tell a story of horror and shame: arms bound together, skulls pierced from behind. Hundreds in one long trench."

According to the study, 270 mass graves have been reported since Hussein fell last May. Since then, 53 sites have been confirmed. "Some graves hold a few dozen bodies," the authors explain. "Other graves go on for hundreds of meters, densely packed with thousands of bodies.

And, how about those 50 million folks who are currently above ground in Iraq giving thanks to Allah for the Collation of the Willing???

Boon Mee

Question 1: Does the fact that Sadam Hussein was a dictator (= leader who has taken the power without means of regular, normal & fair elections :D ) having killed thousands of his people, having had millions of his people being slaughtered in the war with Iran, while strongly encouraged, armed & financed by the USA (this is when weapons of mass destructions - gaz - sold by the USA to Irak were used... :D ), justify Anibody and for any reason to slaughter millions of Iraki people in return (through invasion, bombing, starving, killing & slow irradiation for the next centuries) ?

Question 2: Does it not level the Country(ies) doing this, to the same level than Sadam Hussein was ? :o

Question 3: Does it not lead to understand that the current Worldwide attempt to raise Muslims against non-Muslims in the World, with the obvious intent to create another holocaust (for whatever purpose), equals this same level as well ? :D

Is all this constructive or destructive ?... :D

First of all, it's spelled "Iraq", not "Irak".

Second of all--are you for real? Do I really need to try to address the "questions" you pose? Due to the bias hidden in your questions, you've obvioulsy already made your mind up. It's obvious you're not really ASKING, you're simply posing your rhetoric as questions in order to get your (dis)information out.

First of all, it's spelled "Iraq", not "Irak".

Second of all--are you for real?  Do I really need to try to address the "questions" you pose?  Due to the bias hidden in your questions, you've obvioulsy already made your mind up.  It's obvious you're not really ASKING, you're simply posing your rhetoric as questions in order to get your (dis)information out.

It's up to you, Mate. You're free ! :D

You are absolutely right that all communication leads to something, and my questions obviously do ! If my questions seem too orientated to you, please accept my appologies, as I am trying to remain as neutral as possible. But I have to recognize that I prefer the path of life, rather than the path of killing... :o

Dis-information is similar to lying. I don't need to lie. Only weak people lie. I have specialized myself in uncovering lies, actually (and help people "make it a habbit to look beneath the appearances, with a solid sense of humour"). :D

PS: Iraq is spelled Irak in some languages, and ultimately written in arabic in its originel language. :D

Bozo:

Your "questions" are nothing more than not-so-cleverly-worded distortions and convoluted lies, resulting in twisting the truth to your desired outcome: that the U.S. is the bad guy, blah, blah, blah.. etc., etc., etc...

Here's the Truth: according to the BBC poll...

The MAJORITY of Iraqis are GLAD the U.S. invaded their country and ousted Saddam!

(Getting back to the topic of this thread)....

Bozo:

Your "questions" are nothing more than not-so-cleverly-worded distortions and convoluted lies, resulting in twisting the truth to your desired outcome: that the U.S. is the bad guy, blah, blah, blah.. etc., etc., etc...

The MAJORITY of Iraqis are GLAD the U.S. invaded their country and ousted Saddam!

Kinda takes the wind outa their sails, don't it.

No quick rejoiner Taiquila, Gent, Adjan jb?

No pithy comments?

Good job, Membrane... :o

I wish your headline was a bit bigger :o

I wonder who they asked - the shopkeeper next to "ground Zero"? or the post office workers (Dear John Letters are big business)? or the New Iraq police force? or the hotel workers?, or the taxi drivers? or the "new" hookers (to support the boys)? - I wonder who was asked?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It definately wasnt any of the family members of the people killed - I forget the stats on this, but 1 death has an impact on how many people? so lets round it off to 6 people have a direct association and then filter it down to 12 indirect - Georgie do the maths! - lots of people not asked!!!!

I guarantee you this - many fatherless mixed race children, just like Vietnam - but then again, that is the core of all wars, to change belief systems - even if it means by breeding it!

Well, one thing is for sure, they didn't ask the Al-Qaeda operatives (and other related middle eastern terrorist organizations) that are working in the country, trying to sabotage and drag out the restoration process the U.S. is trying to do, so we can finally leave and allow the Iraqis to enjoy their new-found freedom.

The cancer that was the dog saddam hussein, had to be cut out. It is most unfortunate that there were casualties. But sadly, there were, and on both sides. But saddam is now gone--and the U.S. will finish it's work.

And just for the record, to answer your tongue in cheek question--but just to drive it home, one more time, just for you Gent:

The first poll, by Oxford Research International, was the biggest survey of Iraqis ever undertaken.

The second poll was jointly sponsored by the BBC, ABC News, German network ARD and NHK in Japan, with field work by Oxford Research International of Oxford, England.

The poll consisted of in-person interviews conducted from 10 to 28 February with a random, nationally representative sample of 2,500 Iraqis.

Interviews for the survey were conducted from 223 randomly selected sampling points across the country.

I guarantee you this - many fatherless mixed race children, just like Vietnam - but then again, that is the core of all wars, to change belief systems - even if it means by breeding it!

This quote definitely shows you don't know what you're talking about, Gent. The population of Iraq is Muslim and they don't sleep with Infidels!

Just like Vietnam...sheeesh

What color IS the sky of the world you're living on? :o

Bozo:

The U.S. is not the bad guy, nor is Irak(q), nor is any Muslim or Christian, nor is any man or woman (everyone thinks he or she is true, you know...), nor is any question or media, whatever true, manipulating, dis-informed, intoxicated or brain washing it can be... :o

"There is no good and bad guy. There is just a bench of guys, don't you see it" ? (ever watched "Zero Effect" ?)... :D

The fact of categorizing or labelling people in good and bad IS what induces people to justify the killing of other people. That is all. :D

I do not promote the killing of any human being, and therefore try not to label or categorize. My "not-so-cleverly-worded & convoluted" questions (always trying to improve...) and my only "hidden agenda" (that is actually quite openly shown) are only my attempt to help people to "make it a habbit to look beneath the appearances, with a solid sense of humour"... :D

It is possible that Iraki people are happy that Sadam Hussein was taken out.

Question 1: But do you really believe they are happy to have been invaded by the U.S. (which they consider as the "Big Satan", and in doing so , labelling, to justify terrorism) at the cost of millions of their lives (now and in the generations to come through slow nuclear irradiation) and at the cost of the loss/distortion of their culture ? :D

Question 2: Are you aware that every day of the Irak invasion, by the invading coalition army led by the U.S. were dumped unto Iraki soil the same amount of bombs than in the whole of WWII ?

Question 3: Are you aware that many of these bombs were nesting nuclear waste (coming from all over the World, actually), as it is now standard procedure to recycle it through the weaponnery industry ?

Answer to question #1:

They understand the sacrifice that was necessary to carve out the cancer that was saddam, to flush him out permanently out of their lives, and bring that mass murdered and theif to permanent justice. I think it's now safe to say that neither he (nor his sons) won't be raping, stealing from or murdering any more Iraqis any time soon.

Response to "questions" 2 and 3:

The "Great Satan" label comes from the religious nuts over in Iran. Maybe some of them echo that in Iraq, but you're thinking of the fundamentalist extremist religious fascists in Iran primarily.

About the nuclear contamination claim, that's probably greatly exaggerated. And since you provide no links to reliable, trust-worthy websites where it would be possible to confirm that--until you do, I have to label that as more of your anti-American disinformation, progranda, filth and trash--posed as an innocent "question".

NOW--the question TO YOU BOZO is:

Do YOU understand the sacrifice that was necessary to get saddam out? Since no one else came in and had the balls to do it, don't you now see that it took the United States of America to do it?

One less terrorist...

"Why Do Bombs Suddenly Appear?"

Some things were always meant to be together:

Birds and bees, alpha and omega, Romeo and Juliet, Abbot and Costello and...

Sheik Ahmed Yassin and a big, whopping, rapidly expanding cloud of shrapnel.

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Sheik Ahmed Yassin, the founder and leader of the Hamas militant group that targeted Israelis in suicide bombings, was killed by missiles fired from Israeli helicopters as he left a mosque at daybreak Monday, witnesses said.

You can hear the bleeding-heart Leftys wailing now... :o

Who gives a shit about the Iraqi people and whether they are happy or not? I certainly don't, and it pisses me off that my government has spent billions of dollars and sacrified hundreds of young lives for their sake.

Georgie Boy said that the US was under immediate threat from Saddam, that he had WMD, blah blah blah...a pack of lies, basically, to justify his basically settling a family feud between the Bush and Hussein families. Now, a year, billions of dollars, and hundreds of lives later, all the supporters of the war can say is that the Iraqis are happy? WHO GIVES A SHIT????

Who gives a shit about the Iraqi people and whether they are happy or not? I certainly don't, and it pisses me off that my government has spent billions of dollars and sacrified hundreds of young lives for their sake.

Georgie Boy said that the US was under immediate threat from Saddam, that he had WMD, blah blah blah...a pack of lies, basically, to justify his basically settling a family feud between the Bush and Hussein families. Now, a year, billions of dollars, and hundreds of lives later, all the supporters of the war can say is that the Iraqis are happy? WHO GIVES A SHIT????

Surprised at this intolerance and venom coming from a member, whose posts in the past have voiced indignation at another’s intolerance or opinion of a certain sector of a community :o I'm sure a lot of people give a shit PvtDick. Be careful not to become the same as the people you have been upset by in other forums

The war is over and all the bitching won't bring back the dead, neither will it change anything that’s happened. A constructive plan is what should be worked toward, although it will be difficult in an increasingly corrupt world.

The Peacenik's Guide to Anti-War Arguments

This is funny because it's such an accurate representation of the anti-war arguments the lefty/peaceniks are making these days...

Shut up you blind ((nationalist/fascist/uglo-american))!

Can't you see that we're all ((insert vague generality)) and that means that the US bombing is profoundly immoral!

You are hurting ((insert babies/women/cute fuzzy animals)) by ((insert bombing/sanctioning/feeding)) them!!

Bombing is not the answer. Violence only ((insert cliche))!

The US should take their case before ((nonexistent int'l court/fumbling UN/"neutral" arab state)) and plead their case there!

This is all about america's ((imperialist/racist/greedy)) desire to secure ((oil/hegemony/influence)) in the world.

Go back to eating your ((big macs/tacos/babies)) :o

Who, exactly, am I showing intolerance for by expressing this opinion? And what does it have to do with any other thread?

I'd like to ask the question of all these war supporters: if you have a son or a daughter, would you willingly sacrifice their lives so that a small nation of people thousands of miles away might be "happier"? Would that seem a fair trade to you? Or is it only the lives of other peoples' children you think have been so well spent?

One less terrorist...

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Sheik Ahmed Yassin, the founder and leader of the Hamas militant group that targeted Israelis in suicide bombings, was killed by missiles fired from Israeli helicopters as he left a mosque at daybreak Monday, witnesses said.

You can hear the bleeding-heart Leftys wailing now... :o

Georgie-Porgie is celebrating tonight. May his brother terrorist-pigs all join him soon! :D

I'd like to ask the question of all these war supporters:  if you have a son or a daughter, would you willingly sacrifice their lives so that a small nation of people thousands of miles away might be "happier"?  Would that seem a fair trade to you?  Or is it only the lives of other peoples' children you think have been so well spent?

If I had a son or daughter, I do not think that I would willingly sacrifice their lives for anything, but, if they were killed in warfare, it might help to know that they helped improve someone else's life, that they didn't die in vain.

I don't think it would comfort me at all if my kid had died supposedly defending his country from an immediate threat which never existed -- and which our government knew damned well didn't exist.  What a waste of human life.

No, PvtDick. The intelligence that we had indicated that Saddam was a much bigger threat than he turned out to be. And he wouldn't allow the U.N. inspectors to do their job, so we could find out for sure. He was a ruthless, bloody mass murderer, that--just by himself--qualified as a "weapon of mass destruction", with or without nukes.

Just because we have now gone in and removed him from power and we haven't found any WMDs, doesn't mean they never existed. It doesn't mean that he couldn't have hidden them or moved them to Syria. It doesn't mean that the U.S. government intentionally went in knowing they didn't exist. It doesn't mean that Bush wanted to kill our men and women in uniform. It doesn't mean that Bush wanted to kill Iraqis either.

It just means that Saddam wanted to be a bully in the middle east, he wouldn't cooperate with the U.N. and thought that he could bluff his way through everything and GWB called his bluff. He's now removed from office and the MAJORIY of Iraqi are glad he's gone, glad that the U.S. invaded and they understand the sacrifice that was required to get this prick out of office.