The Online Mob

stargazer9999

The mods do their best to try to keep it under control, but it can be very frustrating for people trying to engage in civil discourse and those who have chosen to be fairly transparent about who they are.

This is an anonymous forum,

Posting your photo, your name, where you live, and how much money you keep in your "instant access" bank account is probably not the best idea.

Especially when you live in a building where the security will let anyone in, through the swipe door, to the elevator, or you can just follow someone else in unchallenged.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Beetlejuice, by quoting AOA you're continuing to perpetuate his on-line bullying, but I'll attempt to ignore it and respond to your other points as if they were not made as part of a personal attack. I don't think that was your intention, like it was with AOA.

What you're forgetting is that ThaiVisa is often used by people looking for information. You can't go onto Facebook and ask "where can I go to get drying cleaning done in Chiang Mai" or "I've just received a diagnosis of cancer and been told I have months to live. What are my options if I want to stay in Chiang Mai?" Facebook doesn't work that way, but Thai Visa does.

In the case of the former question, unfortunately inquirers are met with answers like "use the seearch function" (with no explanation of how to do that), "why are you wearing clothes that require drycleaning?" "send them back to your home country for drycleaning" between the few helpful responses. They shouldn't be made to feel they were wrong or elitist to ask such a question. That's some of was decried in the OP.

In the second case, Facebook simply isn't a good tool to obtain answers about your options in new situations. You can't do keyword searches. You can't draw upon the experience of hundreds of others in the same geographic area. It's difficult to locate someone in the same situation via Facebook. That's some of the value of Thai Visa. Fortunately, usually people who start posts like this are treated with respect. They may receive some off-the-wall advice about potential cures for their cancer, but it's well-meaning.

But yes, there are social networking aspects to Thai Visa. It's a fine line. You're right, Beetlejuice. It's not a good idea to divulge too much information. Nor is it a good idea to stalk someone on line, even if it's just for sport.

Sorry Madam but I really have no idea what your point is? And again this defines what I meant by some taking everything as being personal to them.

I have agreed with our AmericanOneAmerica view regarding online privacy, this has nothing to do with you, in fact I never gave you a thought when I responded to his post. You may have some grievances with certain posters, but I am under no obligations to be loyal with either one or the other. Disputes between members have nothing to do with me and to be frank I don`t give a rat`s behind.

As regarding making inquiries here on these forums, surely these can be made using a Thai visa pseudonym name just a well as using a real identity. As for perpetuating to other posters on-line bullying, that`s an accusation that I find offensive, as no where I have mentioned you in any of my comments on this thread and in fact I have not responded personally to you at all.

The words; chill out, comes into mind.

• Like 2

Beetlejuice, since you have turned off the ability for anyone to send you a PM (personal message) all I can do is ask you to stop referring to me in such a patronizing manner and making false claims of innocence. I could go into more detail in a PM and spell it out, but there is no need to continue this in a public forum.

And with that, I'll "chill out"

Yes, Stargazer, it is interesting how when I agreed with the content of your OP, two of the three or four people who have been following my posts all over Thai Visa, engaging in on-line stalking, showed up, prodded me with sharp sticks and then claimed it was all my fault when I took notice of their sticks.

Just as I predicted would happen.

Yet, I've invited them on numerous occasions to met with me, or the boards of the organizations I'm involved with, personally to air their grievances and of course they don't.

We've just seen a good demonstration of what the article called "online sadism" in action.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

Online bullying eh.

Perhaps Beetlejuice if you looked at the post you made ( # 5) and took your own advice there would be no need to tell the lady who posted # 10 to , ''chill out.''

Does seem rather a strident comment to make to someone who is expressing her opinion does it not?

Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively dominate others.

Good point about the photo. I put it up for that Thai Visa of the Year contest and it's time to take it down.

How about your taking down that U.S. flag from your avatar, since you've coyly suggested you're not from the U.S.?

I neither confirm nor deny any personal details, this is an anonymous forum.

Only one bullying in this thread is you NancyL,

One attempt at bullying me (quoted post, which you then changed)

Two attempts at bullying BJ. (followed by a PM attempt at bullying)

All I did was give sensible advice about online anonymity, which was accepted and used (photo removed, see quoted post).

All BJ did was agree about my advice regarding online anonymity.

Some posters on these forums beggar all belief!

Posting your photo, your name, where you live, and how much money you keep in your "instant access" bank account is probably not the best idea.

Especially when you live in a building where the security will let anyone in, through the swipe door, to the elevator, or you can just follow someone else in unchallenged.

I guess I have to spell it out for you AOA.

How many of my posts, how how many different forums did you have to read to piece all this together?

If this isn't on-line stalking, then I guess you need to propose another definition. This certainly isn't just sensible advice about on-line anonymity. It's meant to make me feel insecure and unsafe, as if you know everything about my personal life, which I suspect you do.

For your sake, I hope I remain safe.

Edited by NancyL

NancyL All the personal information was i presume given out in messages on here of your own free will.

If anyone reads your posts then remembers information that you have given does not in my opinion in any way get near to on line stalking.

In response to one poster you replied " For your sake i hope i remain safe" that seems to be the only threat that i have read on this thread .

I would suggest that you do need to take a look at yourself here and not get paranoid about peoples comments to information that you have given out freely about yourself and your Husband.

• Like 2

Nancy,

Seems like you can't remember how much you have posted about yourself, First it was amusing, laundry service for fluffy towels. But after years of your comments about clothing, your life back home, your shopping, food and on and on and on....about Nancy and Hubby did this, bought that, find those to be the best......

Overboard is overboard.

• Like 1

I guess I have to spell it out for you AOA.

How many of my posts, how how many different forums did you have to read to piece all this together?

If this isn't on-line stalking, then I guess you need to propose another definition. This certainly isn't just sensible advice about on-line anonymity. It's meant to make me feel insecure and unsafe, as if you know everything about my personal life, which I suspect you do.

For your sake, I hope I remain safe.

All on this forum Nancy, and I don't view your profile to follow your posts either.

Something that you appear to do on my profile on a regular basis.

As many have posted on this thread, you give out a lot of information.

And I doubt I read a fraction of the stuff you write.

Don't do it, it's foolish.

Then how is it AOA you know about the security situation in the building where I live? I've never written about that. Nor have I disclosed the building where I live.

Fluffy towels yes. But the exact details of how one enters my building -- that's downright chilling.

That's not "just remembering" that I have a cat, or that I went to Siem Riep for vacation or whatever other trivia I posted here.

That's someone who has checked out how and where I live in person because I never posted that information

And yes, I guess I am making a threat in saying I'm making a threat in saying "for your sake you should hope I remain safe, AOA" because this has gotten way out of hand.

Again, I'll repeat my offer, if you have any problem with me or the organizations I'm involved with I'm more than willing to meet with you to discuss them and review your evidence. But I'm tired of your making unsubstantiated claims of malfeasance on the internet while hiding behind a keyboard.

This is someone with an ax to grind. Exactly the point of the OP's article. I'm glad he stepped forward to serve as Exhibit A.

Edited by NancyL

Then how is it AOA you know about the security situation in the building where I live? I've never written about that. Nor have I disclosed the building where I live.

Fluffy towels yes. But the exact details of how one enters my building -- that's downright chilling.

That's not "just remembering" that I have a cat, or that I went to Siem Riep for vacation or whatever other trivia I posted here.

That's someone who has checked out how and where I live in person because I never posted that information

And yes, I guess I am making a threat in saying I'm making a threat in saying "for your sake you should hope I remain safe, AOA" because this has gotten way out of hand.

Again, I'll repeat my offer, if you have any problem with me or the organizations I'm involved with I'm more than willing to meet with you to discuss them and review your evidence. But I'm tired of your making unsubstantiated claims of malfeasance on the internet while hiding behind a keyboard.

He could of course know you from somewhere like the Ex-Pats Club or even live in the same building.

That's right uptheos. Then he's even more of a loser if he's looked me in the face and posts these awful things, isn't it? That he can't be man enough to say "Nancy, I have some concerns about what's happening with Expats Club. Could we have a coffee sometime to discuss them" because that seems to be the burr under his saddle.

That's right uptheos. Then he's even more of a loser if he's looked me in the face and posts these awful things, isn't it? That he can't be man enough to say "Nancy, I have some concerns about what's happening with Expats Club. Could we have a coffee sometime to discuss them" because that seems to be the burr under his saddle.

That's not my business, I'm just putting a possible alternative to your paranoia about him.

I doubt very much that you are being stalked,