How Do I Bake My Potatoes?

Longsands

To microwave potatos, just stick a fork in then all over, doesn't have to go deep just break the skin. arrange as many as will fit and cook 3-6 mins on high (depending on size) flip and do the same. You can tell when they're done, just grab it and if it's soft, it's done! Safer way is to just poke it with the fork again and you should be able to see if it needs a bit more. Do it all the time with bacon bits,butter and plenty sour cream, great stuff and don't need the water bath. :o

Chonabot, works fine with any kind of spuds even taro if you like taro. Thais make a lot of different sweets with taro and the polynesians use it as a staple, lot of protein. They make it to paste consistency (Called POI) and feed it to their kids and serve it at every luau. It's no wonder I've seen some big Hawaiian, Samoan and Tongans over the years. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of the boy scouts when I saw this thread, tin foil and camp fires.

I don't know about various parts of Bangkok, but outside of the big city people burn their trash all the time.

I suppose one could try to take advantage of the existing fire? :D

Hm, yummy burnt battery taste! :o

I found ran into Betty Crocker cake mixes at Big C yesterday. Time to heat up the big toaster oven!

Posted on Sat 2004-04-03, 19:02:48

QUOTE (Bozo @ Sun 2004-03-21, 02:11:03)

So, were your potatoes successfully cooked ?  

A State secret obviously  

Dr P here's a copy of my reply posted the following day.

No secret!!!

After taking on board a lot of helpful advice, I plumped for a 15 minute boil, then wrapped them up in a heck of a lot of foil, then threw them in the coals, for about 1 hour. I then put them on the grill for about another 30 mins as I cooked the meat.

Ended up with what I thought were quite nice baked potatoes, although they had severely reduced in dimension.

As regards my guests' opinions all I can say is that my dog and I ate a lot of potatoes last night!!

A couple of guests said 'aroi' after a little nibble, then slyly hid them under the salad. Some just didn't like the look of my brown shrivelled tatties and didn't give them a try. The missus ate one and was complimentary so not too disheartened.

I'll be trying again in the near future.

Thanks for all your help.

• 1 month later...

Use heavy foil add some salt water to each foil wrapped spud.

Get some snad and put it to one side of teh barbi

place teh psuds in teh hot sand and cover with coals

Much easier to do this at a beach in a fire pityou dig deep

and long

push coals into a deep area cover with a layer of sand

put in spuds with heavy foil or double wrapped really triple wrapped with some salt water put on sand ad more sand and then rake cola over the top

Potatoes will be done in 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on the size of spud and the size of fire.

Posted on Sat 2004-04-03, 19:02:48

QUOTE (Bozo @ Sun 2004-03-21, 02:11:03)

So, were your potatoes successfully cooked ?  

A State secret obviously  

Dr P here's a copy of my reply posted the following day.

No secret!!!

After taking on board a lot of helpful advice, I plumped for a 15 minute boil, then wrapped them up in a heck of a lot of foil, then threw them in the coals, for about 1 hour. I then put them on the grill for about another 30 mins as I cooked the meat.

Ended up with what I thought were quite nice baked potatoes, although they had severely reduced in dimension.

As regards my guests' opinions all I can say is that my dog and I ate a lot of potatoes last night!!

A couple of guests said 'aroi' after a little nibble, then slyly hid them under the salad. Some just didn't like the look of my brown shrivelled tatties and didn't give them a try. The missus ate one and was complimentary so not too disheartened.

I'll be trying again in the near future.

Thanks for all your help.

Sorry about that Longsands, my dads said that I'd go blind if I kept at it, and obviously he was right. :o

Sorry about that Longsands,  my dads said that I'd go blind if I kept at it, and obviously he was right.    :o

Your dads?

So are you Danny De Vito or Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Danny's body with Arnie's right arm, perhaps? :D