US state spares four on death row

webfact

Publicus:

I wouldn't expect you to know this since you have zero background about the law, but there are several District Court judges throughout the United States, including 2 in California and one here in Nashville (Judge Nixon), that have a history of declaring State death penalty laws unconstitutional. They are always reversed by the apical Circuit Court of Appeals for that District.

This California District Court ruling is nothing new or surprising and it is pretty much meaningless until the 9th Circuit Court rules on the issues.

I had read the latter part thx, and was aware generally of the dynamic between the federal district courts and the respective circuit courts on the issue of the death penalty. This US District Court judge in CA knows the old arguments with the SCOTUS don't fly, so he's trying a different approach which probably won't fly either.

And while the 9th Circuit has a good number of liberal judges, there are also more conservative ones so which three judges would get the case on appeal will of course be material.

And I don't have "zero background" in the law, thx.

Take a break.........capital punishment, cops and robbers, immigration, race and society, international relations, and much else discussed at an anonymous dot-com general public website can sometimes get the best of even the most sincere people. I propose a New Year's Resolution To Take A Break...........

And to chill...............

Publicus:

You are a goof. This all started because you said a District Court ordered the Maryland death sentences to be commuted to life.

I pointed out out that is was the Maryland governor that commuted the sentences, not a judge. It was the Maryland legislature, not a Judge, that abolished the Maryland death penalty.

Lol, you can never admit you are wrong. You instead write 1.000 essays about God knows what to try and evade the issue. That only makes you look goofier.

You are a goof. This all started because you said a District Court ordered the Maryland death sentences to be commuted to life

You are going to have to show me where I said that.

I read the story. It's about the Maryland governor (outgoing) taking newsworthy action about the death penalty in the state. I would never say a US District Court in California has jurisdiction over a US District Court that includes Maryland or over the state of Maryland itself. That is geographically impossible....impossible territorially and by other standards of jurisdiction and/or standing.

Whatever are you on about.......???

The days of the death penalty in the United States are numbered as more states continue the trend to abolish it.

As I'd noted in another thread, the death penalty issue in the United States is becoming a culturally subtle undercurrent that has now begun to manifest itself, similar to the gay civil unions issue that suddenly exploded on the Republican party, conservatives, the radical hard core and hard hitting right. The latter are being neutralized despite all the noise, commotion and passe' old arguments they make.

The old arguments are not holding as much water as they used to hold.....and their arguments will continue to hold less and less water in only a pretty short time going forward.

Federal Judge Rules Death Penalty Unconstitutional in California

The ruling could make its way to the Supreme Court.

July 16, 2014

A federal judge has struck down California's death penalty on grounds that the system is so broken, it violates the Constitution.

"It is a conclusion that many judges in California in the state and federal court have come to, that the state's death-penalty system is dysfunctional," said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center. "What this judge did was take it a step further and say because it is so unruly … it cannot be applied, that it is wrong to apply such a random and unpredictable punishment to anyone."

Dieter said he expected California to appeal the decision to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and, if upheld, said the case could reach the Supreme Court.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/domesticpolicy/federal-judge-rules-death-penalty-unconstitutional-in-california-20140716

In the above case, the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will uphold its federal district court judge in California....take that to the bank. That will send the case to the Supreme Court.

States Abolishing Death Penalty at Record Pace

MAY 9, 2013

The days of putting convicted criminals to death in the United States could be on the wane. Six states have gotten rid of capital punishment in the last six years, while more could be on the way.

Since 2007, New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, Illinois and Connecticut have all decided to no longer impose death sentences. Previously, no state had abolished capital punishment since 1984.

The biggest driving force behind the move away from the death penalty is the specter of executing innocent people, Dieter asserts. “It’s the high ground of protecting innocent life by abolishing the death penalty,” he says.

One hundred forty-two people on death row have been exonerated and released from prison since 1976. Just this Tuesday the Mississippi Supreme Court stepped in at the last minute to stay the execution of Willie Manning, who was convicted of a double murder in 1994 based on what is now considered discredited DNA evidence

http://blogs.lawyers.com/2013/05/states-abolishing-death-penalty/

I'm sure the ACLU (liberal vermin) will be happy to hear this. I'm not certain why you keep mentioning "gay unions" as being similar to the death penalty. Oh wait, I think I understand now. A man marring another man, would be like receiving the death penalty. Right??

The social currents of the society as a whole are changing, and they are changing rapidly. Consequently, so are the laws.

The culture of the United States changed overnight on the issue of gay life, gay unions, gay civil unions. This is profound, significant, an indicator of other similar radical changes that are occurring to the national culture and laws.

So the same is occurring with respect of the issue of capital punishment. The cultural undercurrent is strongly against capital punishment and the surface currents are demonstrating this by the fact of new and more states abolishing this medieval penalty.

While the right continues to obsess, the larger society continues to move on, which is why you remain baffled.

Edited by Publicus

The days of the death penalty in the United States are numbered as more states continue the trend to abolish it.

As I'd noted in another thread, the death penalty issue in the United States is becoming a culturally subtle undercurrent that has now begun to manifest itself, similar to the gay civil unions issue that suddenly exploded on the Republican party, conservatives, the radical hard core and hard hitting right. The latter are being neutralized despite all the noise, commotion and passe' old arguments they make.

The old arguments are not holding as much water as they used to hold.....and their arguments will continue to hold less and less water in only a pretty short time going forward.

<<snip>>

MAY 9, 2013

The days of putting convicted criminals to death in the United States could be on the wane. Six states have gotten rid of capital punishment in the last six years, while more could be on the way.

Since 2007, New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, Illinois and Connecticut have all decided to no longer impose death sentences. Previously, no state had abolished capital punishment since 1984.

The biggest driving force behind the move away from the death penalty is the specter of executing innocent people, Dieter asserts. “It’s the high ground of protecting innocent life by abolishing the death penalty,” he says.

One hundred forty-two people on death row have been exonerated and released from prison since 1976. Just this Tuesday the Mississippi Supreme Court stepped in at the last minute to stay the execution of Willie Manning, who was convicted of a double murder in 1994 based on what is now considered discredited DNA evidence

I'm sure the ACLU (liberal vermin) will be happy to hear this. I'm not certain why you keep mentioning "gay unions" as being similar to the death penalty. Oh wait, I think I understand now. A man marring another man, would be like receiving the death penalty. Right??

The social currents of the society as a whole are changing, and they are changing rapidly. Consequently, so are the laws.

The culture of the United States changed overnight on the issue of gay life, gay unions, gay civil unions. This is profound, significant, an indicator of other similar radical changes that are occurring to the national culture and laws.

So the same is occurring with respect of the issue of capital punishment. The cultural undercurrent is strongly against capital punishment and the surface currents are demonstrating this by the fact of new and more states abolishing this medieval penalty.

While the right continues to obsess, the larger society continues to move on, which is why you remain baffled.

This thread is about Maryland commuting capital sentences of the states last four inmates on death row. It isn't about gay life, gay unions, or gay civil unions. I'm sure a few posters may have an interest in gays but please try to stay on the topic. You appear obsessed about gays.

I'm talking about social change, social currents, socio-cultural trends and their direct impact on the laws and the attitudes and behaviors of people, yet you continue to obsess and to personalize, which is the reason you keep missing the point.

The point yet again is the several broad and deep socio-cultural changes occurring radically and suddenly to the national culture of the United States. (At this point I could get the impression I might be talking over the head of the ordinary mensch of society.)

The socio-cultural trends against capital punishment in the US are analogous to the recent radical and sudden reversal of society's attitudes towards gay people and gay civil unions, the constitution, the laws.

The two social movements and trends are analogous, similar, and they make the point that the days of capital punishment in the US are also numbered.

In the past six years six states have abolished capital punishment, whereas prior to this development, the last time a state abolished capital punishment was 1984. Beyond these six, more states have taken their capital punishment law under active review, which means we should expect more than the six recent convert states to join the existing 18 states that have abolished capital punishment.

If there is a textual problem dealing with comprehension of concepts and their application to reality, then try counting up the numbers.

<<snip>>

MAY 9, 2013

This thread is about Maryland commuting capital sentences of the states last four inmates on death row. It isn't about gay life, gay unions, or gay civil unions. I'm sure a few posters may have an interest in gays but please try to stay on the topic. You appear obsessed about gays.

I'm talking about social change, social currents, socio-cultural trends and their direct impact on the laws and the attitudes and behaviors of people, yet you continue to obsess and to personalize, which is the reason you keep missing the point.

The point yet again is the several broad and deep socio-cultural changes occurring radically and suddenly to the national culture of the United States. (At this point I could get the impression I might be talking over the head of the ordinary mensch of society.)

The socio-cultural trends against capital punishment in the US are analogous to the recent radical and sudden reversal of society's attitudes towards gay people and gay civil unions, the constitution, the laws.

The two social movements and trends are analogous, similar, and they make the point that the days of capital punishment in the US are also numbered.

In the past six years six states have abolished capital punishment, whereas prior to this development, the last time a state abolished capital punishment was 1984. Beyond these six, more states have taken their capital punishment law under active review, which means we should expect more than the six recent convert states to join the existing 18 states that have abolished capital punishment.

If there is a textual problem dealing with comprehension of concepts and their application to reality, then try counting up the numbers.

I do hope you're right. It's shameful that the USA still hasn't joined the majority of the civilised world.
  • Like 1

I do hope you're right. It's shameful that the USA still hasn't joined the majority of the civilised world.

With all the hysterical sobbing by the liberals, and the liberal media lying about executing innocent people (no real proof), America may do away with the death penalty but not in my lifetime. The death penalty is better than any other form of punishment. It ensures the killer will never be able to harm another person again.

• Like 1

With all the hysterical sobbing by the liberals, and the liberal media lying about executing innocent people (no real proof), America may do away with the death penalty but not in my lifetime. The death penalty is better than any other form of punishment. It ensures the killer will never be able to harm another person again.

Why doesn't locking them up for life with no parole achieve the same result?

I don't how long your lifetime is likely to be, but I'd wager it will be gone within a decade.

• Like 1

No one is sobbing but there is hysteria and it is on the extreme right where the reactionaries of the society keep banging and hammering harder and harder the more they lose on the issues, and capital punishment is now added to the list of their coming loses.

The American people who are in the center of the political spectrum, whether center-right or center-left are defining the United States in the 21st century, not the far right.

The vast majority of Americans who constitute the political center are not sobbing about anything. The mass of Americans are going about the business of being Americans. That is, they are changing the political-cultural environment to suit their time and their lifetimes. We rather like what we are doing, thanks.

• Like 1

Not after of left or right. I know democrats for and against and I know republicans for and against.

When you see what some of these people are capable of doing, it changes you. Reading it in a newspaper is different than seeing real photos and reading transcripts and investigation materials depicting what they did. Some of them are not deserving of the label human or any civil rights. F'em and they always start whinning about execution when it becomes real so it does mean something. Jail is actually not much of a deterrence as some people see it as a free place to live and three meals a day or an improvement over their daily lives.

Edited by F430murci

Publicus:

You are a goof. This all started because you said a District Court ordered the Maryland death sentences to be commuted to life.

I pointed out out that is was the Maryland governor that commuted the sentences, not a judge. It was the Maryland legislature, not a Judge, that abolished the Maryland death penalty.

Lol, you can never admit you are wrong. You instead write 1.000 essays about God knows what to try and evade the issue. That only makes you look goofier.

Publicus:

I say again, you are going to have to show me where I said that.

Publicus:

Publicus:

Uhm, what I quoted when I asked the initial question.

Publicus:

Publicus:

you said a District Court ordered the Maryland death sentences to be commuted to life.

Show me the statement by me that you know for a fact exists.....

Do not refer me to anything somewhere else that supposedly maybe perhaps exists....

Quote me exactly....present my specific statement to support your claims I am a goof and that I don't know anything about the law, or the federal judiciary, that I have an internet education etc etc

Show me the statement you allege I made, specifically, exactly...the statement I made......

Show it to me, in my exact words........

Publicus:

Publicus:

you said a District Court ordered the Maryland death sentences to be commuted to life.

Do not refer me to anything somewhere else that supposedly maybe perhaps exists....

Quote me exactly....present my specific statement to support your claims I am a goof and that I don't know anything about the law, or the federal judiciary, that I have an internet education etc etc

Show me the statement you allege I made, specifically, exactly...the statement I made......

On iPhone so have no idea what post numbers. Go back and read it for yourself and follow the serious of questions and comments.

You just babble on and on about God knows what is these incredibly long winded posts that jump all over the place. Apparently, you are even lost about what you are saying or responding to.

Edited by F430murci

What a terrible decision. I wonder if he would have done the same if his close family member had been a victim of one of these killers he let off the hook.

The judge is not a member of the Corleone Family, he's a United States District Court Judge making decisions based on the constitution of the United States.

Whatever some others may call it, it is in fact the rule of law.

The judge btw was appointed by Prez G.W.Bush.

This started it, but the way you responded to questions and comments thereafter capped it off.

The poster you responded to was obviously referencing the killers let off the hook by the Governor in the OP. The OP is Maryland, not California. Sentences for the four killers was commuted by governor not the California District Court.

Your California case (having zero to do with Maryland legislature abolishing a state death penalty scheme held to be consitutional) related to or involved oy one (1) killer, not multiple killers.

The California District Court vacated one killer's death sentence. This only stopped executions until 9th Circuit addresses the issue, but California has not executed anyone for a while so nothing has really changed in California.

Publicus:

On iPhone so have no idea what post numbers. Go back and read it for yourself and follow the serious of questions and comments.

You just babble on and on about God knows what is these incredibly long winded posts that jump all over the place. Apparently, you are even lost about what you are saying or responding to.

So now the iPhone is wrong while you plead not guilty. You want your iPhone to take the rap instead of yourself. No, no murci here dude. I am pulling the switch now...

The fact is I did not make the statement you said I made.

Which means you are wrong.

You are wrong in your reading and comprehension of my posts to this thread.

You subsequently made accusatory and inflammatory statements about my posts, about me.

You are going to have to man up about it or you yourself will have to eat the shit sandwich you made and tried to hand off.

What a terrible decision. I wonder if he would have done the same if his close family member had been a victim of one of these killers he let off the hook.

The judge is not a member of the Corleone Family, he's a United States District Court Judge making decisions based on the constitution of the United States.

Whatever some others may call it, it is in fact the rule of law.

The judge btw was appointed by Prez G.W.Bush.

This started it, but the way you responded to questions and comments thereafter capped it off.

The poster you responded to was obviously referencing the killers let off the hook by the Governor in the OP. The OP is Maryland, not California. Sentences for the four killers was commuted by governor not the California District Court.

Your California case (having zero to do with Maryland legislature abolishing a state death penalty scheme held to be consitutional) related to or involved oy one (1) killer, not multiple killers.

The California District Court vacated one killer's death sentence. This only stopped executions until 9th Circuit addresses the issue, but California has not executed anyone for a while so nothing has really changed in California.

I know my post about Corleone Family justice is what set you off, the Bendini, Lambert and Locke school of justice to cite two reality based works by authors Mario Puzzo and John Grisham.

I recognized it set you off when I made my own review of the posts to confirm your error concerning what I'd posted and said in my posts. Yes, I saw that.

Don't you know personalizing justice is and produces only bad justice. Personalized capital punishment is revenge, it is not justice. It is outside the rule of law, counselor, but I'd thought you knew that.

Counselor.

Sorry man. Nothing about me. I despise corruption and justice applied indiscriminately. I believe in even handed application of the law so there are no surprises and I can be as harsh as anyone on judges who I think do not apply the law even handed . . . Perhaps because my job as young lawyer was to make sure the law followed.

Edited by F430murci

Why doesn't locking them up for life with no parole achieve the same result?

I don't how long your lifetime is likely to be, but I'd wager it will be gone within a decade.

We are talking about people who have committed despicable and the most heinous of crimes against others, sometimes even against children. When a person like this is doing life-without in prison, there is always a chance they be released or even escape. Laws change, and parole boards get weak, not to mention there is nothing more the courts can do to him, so he has nothing to loose. Inmates with that kind of mentality can be extremely dangerous to correctional staff and other inmates.

The four states have been known for a long time now as the usual suspects, the filthy four.

In 2012, only nine states that continued to have capital punishment actually used it. Most capital punishment states hadn't used it during the previous 5 years.

In 2009 nine prisoners on death row were released by states after they were exonerated of the crimes they were convicted of and for which they had been sentenced to death.

Gov O'Malley of Maryland has a great deal of popular support for this decision to spare the four unfortunate souls on the state's Death Row in prison.

4 States Account for Three-Quarters of U.S. Executions

Executions continue to decline in the United States, where only four states accounted for about 75% of all prisoners put to death this year.

Of the 43 people executed by the government in 2012, 33 of them died in Texas, Arizona, Mississippi and Oklahoma, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

As it usually does, Texas led the nation with 15 executions. The other three states each had six. Nine states total conducted executions this year, the lowest number of states to do so in 20 years.

http://www.allgov.com/news/top-stories/4-states-account-for-three-quarters-of-us-executions-121220?news=846541

Fewest states in 20 years executed inmates in 2012: report

Nine states executed inmates in 2012, the fewest number in 20 years, as several Southern states that usually carry out executions did not put any inmates to death, according to a report released Tuesday by a nonprofit that tracks death penalty data.

Several states that allow the death penalty and have traditionally had high numbers of executions did not carry out any in 2012

"Even in the traditional death penalty areas, the death penalty is not being used as much," Dieter said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/18/us-usa-executions-idUSBRE8BH07220121218

Agence France Presse

US executions down by half over past decade: reportThe United States executed one convict a week in 2009, but the rate is down by half compared to a decade ago, according to an annual report from the Death Penalty Information Center.

The number of executions in 2009 fell 47 percent from a decade ago, and the death penalty was used in just 11 of the 35 states that still allow the practice, the report said.

In 2009, nine men who had been sentenced to death were exonerated and freed, the DPIC said. That was the second highest number since 1976.

http://www.alternet.org/rss/breaking_news/100815/us_executions_down_by_half_over_past_decade:_report/

Edited by Publicus