First two days of '7 dangerous New Year holidays' see 128 killed, 1158 injured

webfact

I'm sorry to post off-topic. And I won't do it again.

But if ANYONE missed the article that appeared briefly this morning, under the new 'Tech' section, regarding the new role of ISPs in Thailand - I strongly recommend you read it thoroughly! It is just SO no joke, and (I feel) should have been a sticky here, not the brief flash that it was.

It wasn't a lite subject, and I'm not going to talk about it. But, you should know what it said; it matters to you.

The normal daily road death toll here is 72 people per day. So with a two day holiday total

of 128, you can clearly see that the holidays are actually saving people......

I would have agreed with you, but I don't believe the numbers they give are true to the content. I think the number of fatalities is much higher of what they report. I might be wrong anyway.

There are (not) discipline and there are businesses at conflicts. If not, all needed is one person says a few words and media screen it on TV. Repeat that short sequence before TV news for some months and the road toll will be reduced 50%

The normal daily road death toll here is 72 people per day. So with a two day holiday total

of 128, you can clearly see that the holidays are actually saving people......

I would have agreed with you, but I don't believe the numbers they give are true to the content. I think the number of fatalities is much higher of what they report. I might be wrong anyway.

Yes I think you are right. However I can only go by the official numbers, which as

you say, are much lower than reality.

Death toll in two days now rises to 128

1-1-2558-17-45-01-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The campaign to reduce road mishaps during the seven dangerous days entered the second day with now death toll rising to 128 and 1,158 injured.

The Road Safety Centre said there were a total of 1,133 accidents from December 30-31with 128 people killed and 1,158 injured.

Most accidents were caused by drunk driving (41.92%) and speeding (26.40%).

It said motorcycles involved in most of the accidents or 83.8%.

Chiang Mai province now recorded the largest number of accidents with 49 cases.

But the provinces having the largest number of deaths are Phetchabun, Surat Thani, Chiang Mai and Buriram, with seven deaths each.

The province with the largest number of injuries is Nakhon Sawan, 33.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/death-toll-two-days-now-rises-128

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-01

Remove the thai bashes!

Blaming the cops ?

Did the RTP force alcohol down these idiots throats and force them to drive!

People all over the world should be responsible for their actions!

And remove those that only tell half a story.

NO the RTP didn't force the alcohol down the throats of the idiots and force them to drive - likewise they also don't do anything to curb the drink driving, the unlicensed drivers, the un-roadworthy cars, the speeding, running red lights, driving like idiots, etc.

YES, people should be responsible for their actions and those who aren't should be weeded out by pro-active police patrolling in the traffic not sitting in the shade napping and chatting and moaning about the road toll and attending fatal accidents to do body counts.

AND, you don't need to be a Thai basher to see the obvious and to make reasonable comment on the inaction displayed each and every day by a completely inadequate police force- not just during the holiday killing season.

I have come to the conclusion that true enforcement of laws is not understood. It seems to me that it is connected with the idea of "no accountability." In some sense it seems that assigning blame is not acceptable. People who drive drunk should not be blamed or punished. Driving laws need to be enforced to protect innocent people that are killed or injured by drunk or out of control drivers. It is something that is the responsibility of any government in the world. In America, for years drunk drivers were not penalized very much and too many people were getting killed. Then across the entire country mothers formed an organization alled MAAD, "Mothers Against Drunk Driving," and they got the laws changed so that drunk drivers can no longer drive or will go to jail if they do it more than two times. People on the highways who see a driver not driving safely call 911 on their cell phone and give a license plate number and description of the car and the police will find them on the highway. That is enforcement and the number accidents and people killed was reduced by 70 percent over several years.

Remove the thai bashes!

Blaming the cops ?

NO the RTP didn't force the alcohol down the throats of the idiots and force them to drive - likewise they also don't do anything to curb the drink driving, the unlicensed drivers, the un-roadworthy cars, the speeding, running red lights, driving like idiots, etc.

YES, people should be responsible for their actions and those who aren't should be weeded out by pro-active police patrolling in the traffic not sitting in the shade napping and chatting and moaning about the road toll and attending fatal accidents to do body counts.

AND, you don't need to be a Thai basher to see the obvious and to make reasonable comment on the inaction displayed each and every day by a completely inadequate police force- not just during the holiday killing season.

I have come to the conclusion that true enforcement of laws is not understood. It seems to me that it is connected with the idea of "no accountability." In some sense it seems that assigning blame is not acceptable. People who drive drunk should not be blamed or punished. Driving laws need to be enforced to protect innocent people that are killed or injured by drunk or out of control drivers. It is something that is the responsibility of any government in the world. In America, for years drunk drivers were not penalized very much and too many people were getting killed. Then across the entire country mothers formed an organization alled MAAD, "Mothers Against Drunk Driving," and they got the laws changed so that drunk drivers can no longer drive or will go to jail if they do it more than two times. People on the highways who see a driver not driving safely call 911 on their cell phone and give a license plate number and description of the car and the police will find them on the highway. That is enforcement and the number accidents and people killed was reduced by 70 percent over several years.

I would also suggest installing speed radars and cameras at crucial points in traffic, like intersections, city, village or school zones as they do in some countries. It really works because the drivers are afraid of paying fines or losing their licences and they really try to comply with traffic rules.

Edited by Thunder26

Went out to visit a friend this morning. On a 50 minute ride I counted 124 motorcycles. 17 were wearing crash helmets. Plenty of the tented checkpoints manned by a couple of bored looking people watching tv.

You go out counting mo-cy's when you're on a ride?

Jeeeeeeeeeeeez.

Remove the thai bashes!

Blaming the cops ?

Maybe the Parrot doesn't drive a car. I've driven in Samui for 10 years--- as fast as I want, but safely and definitely

defensively. I don't need to ever consult my speedometer-- no one else is EVER looking!

The Cops are a Joke. Their bosses are to blame-- all the way to the top.

128 killed over first two days of New Year
Wattana Khamchoo,
Noppadol Srithaweekard,
Thanongsak Supakarn
The Nation

30251086-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The first two of the New Year period's "seven dangerous days" have seen 128 people killed and 1,158 others injured in 1,133 accidents nationwide, the Road Safety Centre said yesterday.

Phetchabun, Surat Thani, Chiang Mai and Buri Ram topped the fatalities with seven deaths each over the two days, while Chiang Mai also had the most accidents at 49. Nakhon Sawan had the most injuries at 52 over the two days, Probation Department chief Kannika Saengthong said. Only Rayong and Phang Nga had no accidents, she said.

On December 31, there were 625 road accidents with 70 people killed and 641 injured, she said.

Major contributing factors were drunk driving at 42 per cent and speeding at 26 per cent. Most accidents involved motorcycles (84 per cent) and more than half (63 per cent) took place on straight stretches of road. Most crashes occurred between 4pm to 8pm (34 per cent) and more than half (57 per cent) of the victims were of working age.

Officials manning 2,259 checkpoints arrested 84,345 motorists - about 25,800 of whom allegedly failed to wear motorcycle helmets and 24,797 others failed to present a driver's licence, she said.

With drunk driving a major cause of accidents, the centre urged provinces strictly to enforce controls on the sale of alcohol, particularly to people under 20.

Drivers arrested for being drunk at checkpoints would be jailed - rather than fined - to discourage people from drinking and driving, she said.

A major accident took place in the southern province of Chumphon. A 13-year-old Thai boy and a worker from Myanmar were killed and eight others injured when a speeding pickup truck crashed into a group of Myanmar workers crossing the Asia 41 highway in Lamae district at midnight on Wednesday.

The injured driver, Thanandorn Saengchuany, 34, claimed the workers suddenly crossed the road and he could not stop in time.

The pickup hit one worker and crashed into a roadside tree. His nephew was thrown through the windshield and killed.

In related news, 1,977 houses were put under Bangkok police care while owners travel over the holiday period from December 20 to January 2, Metropolitan Police deputy commissioner Pol Maj-General Chanthawit Ramasut said. This figure is up from last year, when 890 houses were put on the police watch list.

"This year, police doing house patrols have also taken pictures and sent them to homeowners via Line - an approach that has received good feedback, with many replying with messages of thanks to police."

He added that police fully performed their duty by checking all houses - whether listed as part of the project or not.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/128-killed-over-first-two-days-of-New-Year-30251086.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-02

• Like 1

Remove the thai bashes!

Blaming the cops ?

people have to be governed all over the world. us aussies are big pissheads too, but we don't have the percentage of deaths on the road as thai. they just have to be learned more. thus the problem govt. not doing enouth for long time. it's not just boooze they are lousey drivers as well

Edited by davetrout

Thai Government proves that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Just think how many road deaths there would be if the Thai Government counted more than just those that died at the scene of the accident.

The same amount?

Road accident victims who are taken to hospital & later die as a result of their injuries are not inlcuded in the statistics.

Police checked all houses whether listed as part of the project or not !

All houses ?

My speculation, is these are houses in rich areas not just any part of Bangkok. The BiB expect a New Years present for their good deeds (from Buddha of course).

• Like 1

Remove the thai bashes!

Blaming the cops ?

People should be responsible but worldwide they are not, which is why we have to have laws and regulations. It is clearly shown in my country (UK) and I suspect in others that every time you tighten up on regulations and police checking in an area like this it reduces the carnage.

By all means promote an anti-regulation/anti-enforcement approach as a preferred lifestyle choice, but don't expect to surrounded by lots of supporters on this particular issue. I find that Thais are individually appalled at the priorities of the police, devoting resources to easy hit tea money priorities. I find that individual Thais are appalled at the carnage on the roads and the risky driving undertaken by some members of society.

I would not blame the police if it was the clear that the will of the people was that they should spend so much time running private money-making operations like brothels and collecting tolls from 16 year old girls on motorbikes.

Unfortunately the clear will of the people in Thailand rarely gets translated into effective government action at the policy level and almost never at the implementation level. Sorry for the Thai (culture) bashing - I love Thailand but there is a fatal floor in it's my bpen lai culture, typical of under-developed societies.

• Like 2

When a driver is found to have been driving under the influence part of his sentence should be a mandatory trip to the morgue and view a few corpses killed by drunk driving. It will certainly sober a lot up to the realities. It has been tried in the USA and they found 80% who had to partake in the "view" never drank and drove again

• Like 2

The record, no matter how accurate or inaccurate, speaks for itself once more...

The Thai, and not just the Thai, but certainly the Thai, once again demonstrate their grossly over exaggerated, over inflated, highly narcissistic opinion of their collective and individual selves.

Happy Narcissistic Utopia New Year Everyone!

• Like 1

Jungleboy2

The stuttering parrot does drive a car and the stuttering parrot doesn't drive as fast as he wants the stuttering parrot doesn't drink and drive and the stuttering parrot respects the law.

Drive as fast as I want yet defensively?

Yeah it's all good till someone loses an eye!

I slid into the back of a car on a slick ice covered road-- doing about 5-10mph-- when I was 16 years old.

No more accidents for the next 56 years. Drove 35-50,000 miles/year. Speeding dangerously or drunk is never

a good idea. Stopping "Speeders" in America is all about Code Enforcement and the resultant Fines and increased

Insurance bills. Thailand has not learned to get more money from the slaves-- but, they are learning.

I'm not a slave. Happy New Year and try to enjoy your obedience.

• Like 1