Best Electric Sticky Rice Cooker?...

krisb

I've heard you can cook sticky rice in electric rice cookers?

Does anyone have any recommendations which brand for is the best for cooking sticky rice in?

How does it compare to the original steamed in bamboo basket method?

Do you still have to soak the rice in water before cooking it?

Thanks!

This man must have come into money.

He buys diamond rings for the wife, super cars for himself and now he wants to go into another super expense.

And then he has the cheek to ask a popper like me to buy the beers and the crisps for him.

This world is unfair.................

This man must have come into money.

He buys diamond rings for the wife, super cars for himself and now he wants to go into another super expense.

And then he has the cheek to ask a popper like me to buy the beers and the crisps for him.

This world is unfair.................

You died at 97, seems pretty fair to me.

Anyway, it's only a sticky rice cooker, I've never seen them, only heard about them.

Do they exist??

• Like 1

Sticky rice is not "cooked" but steamed.

Sounds like nitpicking, but it makes an important difference.

There are electrical "power steamers".

Thats all I can find out.

I am far from telling you which one is the best.

This one is an "E-saan" (Isan, Isaan) cooker biggrin.png

Big picture, click:

http://www.iamsell.com/imageuser/2009-1-18/20091181247-3392.jpg

from this site:

http://www.iamsell.com/product_postview.php?id=1660

Here sticky rice is steamed daily, but using traditional tools.

The neighbour auntie uses very traditional method tongue.png

large_CraftFood1.jpg?1292491484

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

We have a Panasonic Rice cooker that the wife also cooks sticky rice in.

Yes , you have to soak the rice before cooking etc for "sticky" rice.

Probably she uses an "insert" (sieve) to steam?

Such things seem to be on offer for the ordinary rice cookers also.

Soaking: step daughter soaks it in water the whole night long.

Taking it out in the morning, rinsing, dripping and then to the steamer.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Such things seem to be on offer for the ordinary rice cookers.

Correct, (so she just told me)

• Like 1

Such things seem to be on offer for the ordinary rice cookers.

Correct, (so she just told me)

Charlie, can I be a pain and get you to check a model number for me please?

I'd trust a Panasonic.

Hey krisb...forget the sticky rice, stick to pies and pasties...lol

I'd never totally give up a 4 and 20.

My wife wants to get a small food stall at the weekend markets selling satay pork skewers with this delicious sauce she does.

It's gonna come with a small serve of sticky rice on the side, but having the full bamboo steamer there isn't really an option, but a rice cooker that can do sticky rice is.

I figure Charlies Panasonic model would be reliable over some unknown name brand.

My apologies, I always forget to add we are in Australia, but ordering over the net is no problem.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

Hey krisb...forget the sticky rice, stick to pies and pasties...lol

I'd never totally give up a 4 and 20.

My wife wants to get a small food stall at the weekend markets selling satay pork skewers with this delicious sauce she does.

It's gonna come with a small serve of sticky rice on the side, but having the full bamboo steamer there isn't really an option, but a rice cooker that can do sticky rice is.

I figure Charlies Panasonic model would be reliable over some unknown name brand.

My apologies, I always forget to add we are in Australia, but ordering over the net is no problem.

Here is a link to model number and spec I found on the net. We bought ours locally.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896200216

• Like 2

Any regular rice cooker will do, provided it has a deep steamer tray. I put the sticky rice into a bamboo basket small enough to fit into the steamer tray of the rice cooker. My rice cooker steamer tray has holes that are too large. Without the bamboo basket, the rice just falls thru the holes in the steamer tray.

But, I'm improvising. Usually I just buy sticky rice already cooked at the local Thai market. Don't make it all that often at home, really. Hubby and I aren't from Isaan, after all.

Any regular rice cooker will do, provided it has a deep steamer tray. I put the sticky rice into a bamboo basket small enough to fit into the steamer tray of the rice cooker. My rice cooker steamer tray has holes that are too large. Without the bamboo basket, the rice just falls thru the holes in the steamer tray.

But, I'm improvising. Usually I just buy sticky rice already cooked at the local Thai market. Don't make it all that often at home, really. Hubby and I aren't from Isaan, after all.

I think it doesn't matter if your from Issan or not. I love sticky rice and I'm from Australia.

I also like basmati rice and I've never been to India before. I like basmati more than jasmine rice ever since a member suggested to try it.

MIL completely Old School

Uses a clay pot on the ground, wood from the garden inside, aluminum pot completely black on the outside.

"Would you like me to raise the BBQ off the ground so you don't have to bend over ?" No

Soak overnight in large clay pot with water, rinse in bamboo basket, cook every morning.

She's 80 now, so no hope of a change. Goes to work every day too.

I just used some points to order a rice cooker (electrolux) that apparently has 9 different settings for rice - including sticky variety. Haven't tried it yet.

Will browse through the 40 page instruction book today and see if it can also flush the radiator on my truck as well.

• Like 1

I have a Sharp rice cooker. Had one for years in NZ, and bought a new one here.

Both cook sticky rice very nicely, and NO SOAKING, but I recommend you use slightly less water than the instructions say.

I think the sticky rice program takes about 45 minutes from start to finish.

Both cook rice, sticky rice, mixed rice (white + brown or black rice), porridge (congee), and cakes or bread, and a few other ricey things. Can also be used as a slow cooker, although this is not in the instruction leaflet.

Different programs, one touch to choose what you want to cook.

Not expensive, either.

I love my rice cooker.

No special steamer tray either, just measure the number of cups of rice into the bowl, add right level of water (or just under), close it, press "Glutinous Rice", come back in 45 minutes (it beeps), eat.

Edited by Seastallion

All rice is sticky. A real pain when a grain gets on your finger and you try to fling it off. It's just some rice is stickier than others. I believe if you use Pam you can eliminate most of the stick; however, if it's super sticky you seek try glutinous rice. Or, better yet, try oatmeal. It really sticks to your ribs so they say.