How to wash clothes properly in Thailand

gezginrocker

"Researchers have found the increased use of low-temperature washes and gentle detergents to be culprits of laundry bacteria in washing machines...undergarments were found to be the main carriers of fecal matter, as well as different types of bacteria. In fact, an estimated average of 0.1 grams of fecal matter was found on every pair of clean underwear in the study."

http://www.medicaldaily.com/laundry-bacteria-could-be-your-clean-clothes-ways-reduce-germ-growth-your-wash-253557

"The sun is considered to be one of the toughest killer of germs. It's just as effective as bleach"

• Like 1

For light coloured clothes especially, use 'Vanish' or similar liquid on the stain and put a little soap powder in a container/pot and soak in water boiled on a cooker/kettle, then wash again in the machine to remove the sud's. Works for my daughter's school uniform.

Oh dear - top loader vs front loader. I have seen bad washes from both! Select the correct laundry powder/detergent for the type of machine you are using and whether it will be cold wash or hot. Laundry detergents are designed for either. And if a bad stain, then spot soak with a pre-wash stain remover. Fairly easy eh? coffee1.gif

The rules for Thai washing according to her indoors:

Tops cannot be washed with bottoms, although pants can be done with shirts etc, no way must you put trousers or socks in with other stuff. Towels and sheets have to be done separate but not together, everything has to be done with softener for' hom', she checks and if not smell nice washes again. When she is out of course this gets ignored and I stick everything into together to save time, water and energy, she never can tell, but if she ever comes home early and catches me i'll be for it!

"Researchers have found the increased use of low-temperature washes and gentle detergents to be culprits of laundry bacteria in washing machines...undergarments were found to be the main carriers of fecal matter, as well as different types of bacteria. In fact, an estimated average of 0.1 grams of fecal matter was found on every pair of clean underwear in the study."

http://www.medicaldaily.com/laundry-bacteria-could-be-your-clean-clothes-ways-reduce-germ-growth-your-wash-253557

"The sun is considered to be one of the toughest killer of germs. It's just as effective as bleach"

They had to do research to find this out?

an interesting post, yeah my toploader is <deleted>, will try the liquid approach, as i use powder, but my clothes do not come out the same as in the uk with my BEKO, i have a new TOSHIBA here, very disappointed with the results.

Blan is a good product to get whites white again. I add it once in a while to a load. Another thing is, don't wait till your stuff is dirty before you wash it. I do my bed sheets once a week, towels after one day (I bought small ones so it's not too wasteful), shirts after one day, etc. If you wait till it smells or is stained, good luck getting it out. I agree those cold water machines are crap compared to frontloaders and sometimes you really want to wash at 60 or 90, but that's what most condos come with.

Front loaders in Thailand, including Siemens, only have a cold water inlet but heat the cold water for the wash cycle. The more expensive top loaders do the same I think.

Soak them first, rubbing any stains with wash powder.

I agree, top-loaders are shiite, the wash procedure is incorrect, needs to be done with gravity not just movement of water and twist. Have an HE front loader here, 95 degrees, and it's the dog's doodahs even on a low temp setting. Towels and bedding come out absolutely crisp. With the top loader, they are still cruddy.

Unless you use clorox you can forget about most stains ever coming out. I quit worrying about them after about a year of having same results. Hot or warm water helps but I have never had a house with a hot water connection for the washer.

I agree, top-loaders are shiite, the wash procedure is incorrect, needs to be done with gravity not just movement of water and twist. Have an HE front loader here, 95 degrees, and it's the dog's doodahs even on a low temp setting. Towels and bedding come out absolutely crisp. With the top loader, they are still cruddy.

Is your comment on top loaders empirical evidence or anecdotal? whistling.gif