How to wash clothes properly in Thailand

gezginrocker

Hi,

I'm living in a condo in Bkk and we have 2 top loader washing machines. I've used them both but they don't properly clean the clothes, stains don't disappear at all. I suspect this is because the machine is not using hot water. In the west, front loader machines with hot water are popular. Here, top loaders with cold water. And I don't think they are doing a proper job.

Since I can't buy a new machine, do you have any tips on how to have properly cleaned clothes? Maybe detergant advice or something like that?

Thanks

• Like 1

With these top loader WM.

I think you wash the clothes first then put in the drying drum.

?, do you put the water on while its spinning to get rid of the soap.

My thai mates said NO.the soap will go by the spinning action.

Soak them first, rubbing any stains with wash powder.

I agree, top-loaders are shiite, the wash procedure is incorrect, needs to be done with gravity not just movement of water and twist. Have an HE front loader here, 95 degrees, and it's the dog's doodahs even on a low temp setting. Towels and bedding come out absolutely crisp. With the top loader, they are still cruddy.

Thanks for the tip, although I'm too lazy to do that, and probably I'll get used to the stains. Or maybe look for a special stain remover or something.

You're right, those top loaders are really shiite. I can't understand why they are the norm here. Just as I can't understand why they are not using hot water in Thailand. They have sun all the time, they can install solar panels instead of using those stupid electric heaters at bathrooms. They are much more economical.

Well, the machines are coin operated and everything is automated. I insert coins, put the clothes and the detergant and then come back 50 minutes later, that's it really.

Edited by gezginrocker

I agree, top-loaders are shiite, the wash procedure is incorrect, needs to be done with gravity not just movement of water and twist. Have an HE front loader here, 95 degrees, and it's the dog's doodahs even on a low temp setting. Towels and bedding come out absolutely crisp. With the top loader, they are still cruddy.

My top loader gets my washing clean in 48 minutes. No hot water required.

I dont see that it would be very hard to fit a shower heater to the water input, if I thought I needed to.

• Like 1

You are thinking of twin-tubs. Normal top-loaders just have one tub that works in exactly the same way as that of a front loader, only not on its side. They follow the normal wash, spin, rinse, spin cycle for a quick wash. They also have more complex programmes with more cycles like pre-soak, third rinse, air dry etc.

We got both.

I prefer the 1 drum. But it uses a lot if water.

Put the clothes detergent and come back later.

But loads of Thais prefer the double drum.

One for washing and 1 for spinning .

Hiso prefer the front loading like in Europe.

We bought a fairly cheap top loader, it also leaves stains. The neighbour bought an even cheaper machine, it works ok. We let the clothes go through the normal wash cycle. We then rinse and spin. Still not ideal and if you have a coin operated machine you can't influence much. I had a second hand front loader in Europe, about 20 years old. Apart from forgetting to change the filter sometimes, perfect results.

Blan is a good product to get whites white again. I add it once in a while to a load. Another thing is, don't wait till your stuff is dirty before you wash it. I do my bed sheets once a week, towels after one day (I bought small ones so it's not too wasteful), shirts after one day, etc. If you wait till it smells or is stained, good luck getting it out. I agree those cold water machines are crap compared to frontloaders and sometimes you really want to wash at 60 or 90, but that's what most condos come with.

Edited by sundrenched

Less items in the wash. Try halving your load and seeing what the results are like. If that is better then increase the amounts slowly until you find a decent balance.

Make sure you buy top loader detergent too. Personally I prefer washing liquid to powder as it leaves much less residue.

Make sure the filters are clean, even with a shared machine.

Wait until later in the day (when it is hot) as it is more likely the water coming into the machines will be hot as it is likely to be stored in storage tanks which will have heated up (though try to get them in before everybody comes home from work).

Good advice here.

Don't know if you have any control with a coin-op machine, but our top loader has a long-soak cycle that I use all the time. The clothes are agitated for just a minute or two, sit for a few minutes and then are given a little agitation about once every 30 seconds for about 10 - 15 minutes.

Also, when I add fabric softener, I untangle the clothes so they'll get a proper rinse.

I haven't been able to find a good stain remover, but it helps to pre-treat food stains with a paste made from the laundry detergent and water, about 15-20 minutes before I put the clothes into the washer.

I do laundry every day. Just a small load or two. It's easy when the machine is in your condo and doing laundry becomes part of your daily routine. Yes, the trick is to keep the loads small. Never more than 4 or 5 major pieces of clothing.

• Like 1

I wonder if some of the problems that people seem to be having is because they use powder and not liquid detergent?

For me a top-loader + cold water + liquid detergent (I use the one with a name that looks like "USA" in Thai script: apparently it's Breeze) works just fine.

Agreed with the detergent. I also use Vanish to pre-soak whites or anything that has a stain. My golf gear which is mainly white comes out so white you need sunglasses.

Used toploaders in NZ for years with cold water and the trick is not to overload them, as said by others.

In Thailand it also pays to check the water supply is clean and filtered. Let the machine run for a while and then collect a container of water as it fills the machine to see if its clear of impurities. Often if the supply tank is running low or has high usage, you can effectively be getting water straight from the mains supply which is usually a murky brown colour. If the water hasn't had a chance to self settle in the tank and/or you have a filter, the clothes will come out dirtier than they went in.

Don't believe me - check the bottom of a water storage tank and you will find buckets of settled impurities. Or unscrew the supply line at the street and run the water into a bucket. It will be brown.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, although I'm too lazy to do that, and probably I'll get used to the stains. Or maybe look for a special stain remover or something.

You're right, those top loaders are really shiite. I can't understand why they are the norm here. Just as I can't understand why they are not using hot water in Thailand. They have sun all the time, they can install solar panels instead of using those stupid electric heaters at bathrooms. They are much more economical.

Well, the machines are coin operated and everything is automated. I insert coins, put the clothes and the detergant and then come back 50 minutes later, that's it really.

Are you sure someone isn't removing your laundry as soon as bugger off ? They pop their dirty smalls in for 45mins, then swap loads just before you come back :)

Are you sure someone isn't removing your laundry as soon as bugger off ? They pop their dirty smalls in for 45mins, then swap loads just before you come back smile.png

Wow, someone would have to be really cheap to be doing this. Or someone would have to be really paranoid to suggest this is what's happening.

Blimey! I thought I had a quiet New Year.....

Can't you employ a housekeeper to do it for you? Mine does the lot but relishes in showing the missus/anyone around/the neighbours every 'gusset mishap' I may have suffered that week......

Are you sure someone isn't removing your laundry as soon as bugger off ? They pop their dirty smalls in for 45mins, then swap loads just before you come back smile.png

Wow, someone would have to be really cheap to be doing this. Or someone would have to be really paranoid to suggest this is what's happening.

Oh dear, looks like 2015 is not gonna be a good year for sarcastic comments :) Please tell me you didn't take that seriously Nancy !

...If top loaders are all shit, as someone above suggested, why are they so popular & being produced & sold worldwide by the million...

ALL industrial (cloth) washing machines work on the front loader principle.

What's the best for the professional is good for me, top loaders are for the unwashed masses.