Gerrard set to announce end of Liverpool career

Lite Beer

Gerrard set to announce end of Liverpool career

LIVERPOOL, England (AP) — Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is set to announce he will leave the club at the end of the season when his contract expires.

British newspaper reports said the announcement from the 34-year-old midfielder, who has spent his entire career at Liverpool, would come on Friday.

There was no denial from Liverpool, and former teammate Jamie Carragher appeared to confirm the news.

"Sad day for LFC & English football with the Gerrard news," Carragher wrote on Twitter. "I think it's the right decision all things considered."

With his contract expiring at the end of the season, Gerrard has been free to talk to foreign clubs since New Year's Day.

Gerrard, who retired from England duty after the 2014 World Cup, said in October that he would not retire in 2015 and was open to playing away from Liverpool.

Gerrard scored two penalties in Thursday's 2-2 draw with Leicester, taking his goal tally to 180 in 695 appearances, but lost his guaranteed place in Brendan Rodgers' team this season.

Although Gerrard has won the Champions League, UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup, his career is set to end without winning the Premier League with his boyhood club.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-02

As football fan and watching Gerrard this season he would be better packing up altogether...he was slow at world cup & seems to be getting slower...in fact a bottle of milk can turn quicker than him...Rodgers is no fool he knows Gerrard is finished.

Mind you i dont suppose he is short of a few ££££$$$

• Like 1

Shame he didn't get a league title

He might, if he does a Lampard and comes to City laugh.png

I think Lampard is showing us all now who really was the weak link in the England Midfield during the "Golden Generation'' era now MrB...

Still, a sad bit of news for a superb player for his team and possibly the last of the 'one club' men.

I shall relish the comedy memories of him running all over Old Trafford last season kissing everything in sight before he fell on his botty and handed City the title...LOL.....

Edited by ThePlant

Shame he didn't get a league title

He might, if he does a Lampard and comes to City laugh.png

I think Lampard is showing us all now who really was the weak link in the England Midfield during the "Golden Generation'' era now MrB...

Still, a sad bit of news for a superb player for his team and possibly the last of the 'one club' men.

As we all know, they just couldn't gel together for England but individually, they were both superb players.

• Like 1

Steven Gerrard

Was a loyal to Liverpool the stayed there through the Good & Bad Times Yes LFC should retain his services & offer him Rogers Position

Rogers is an Insult to All Liverpool Supporters Yeah a Born Looser never won anything in his life let alone be Manager of a great Club,

Steven Good Luck Mate you have a load of Respect on this side of the World, Hope you hang in & Run that Joker off,

Gerrard was a great player....I'm sure he can still do a job for someone as an impact player with his quality.

Be a shame to see him finish his career in the US.

don't think he wants to be an impact player though smokie, he wants to play regularly in a slower, easier league and experience a new culture too it seems. so good luck to him if that's in LA in the sunshine.

• Like 2

Papers calling him the Premier Leagues greatest ever player.

Nauseating love fest this is gonna be.

redrus

Better than Beckham and lasted longer than Cantona.

Just sayin'.....:D

Ryan Giggs.

Just sayin.......

redrus

Both in the football and slime stakes he wins...you're right! :D

• Like 1

They recon Steven Gerrard is unique

---& I would have to agree with them, you just dont find that many scouser's with 17 years gainful employment.....coffee1.gif .

Good luck to him........Great player, for club & country----just wish he had played for The Arsenal.

• Like 2

there's a truly staggering amount of tedious, unfunny prick behaviour going around this announcement. football fans are really mostly total whoppers.

You mean thick tossers, right?!!

What should be being discussed is the comparison in the careers of Gerrard and Dalglish. Both outstanding but under very different circumstances.

Think i give the nod to Dalglish but its testament to Gerrard that there is talk of the two.

For the record i think his timing in leaving is right as is his destination. Good luck to him.

• Like 1