Numbers of tourists from Russia falling by the minute

Lite Beer

I was Nha Trang, Vietnam for 6 weeks in November and December. Russians make up about 95% tourist there. It even seems the Vietnamese don't like them, but they like the money....but not all. The hotel I was staying at, would actually tell the walk-in Russians customers that they were full, and had no rooms available, but I knew they did.

I was shocked how rude some of Russian people are. Maybe because they are literally buying bottles of vodka for breakfast. After saying that, I did meet a few really nice Russians in Nha Trang.

I noticed a HUGE decline of tourist from November and December! At least 50% drop in Nha Trang, Vietnam.. So that means several thousand tourist drop in just a few weeks.

Did you suck this out of your thumb? I am in NH right now and Russians are treated well here. In fact better than any other place I know.You must be in charge of the hotels' booking database. I have not received one rude treatment and hotels check me in wherever I go. I can't say same about so-called "civilized" Western countries where I had the misfortune of spending 10+ years of my life. BTW I don't drink for breakfast or dinner. So take your stereotypes to your favorite beer bar. I am sick to my stomach of being treated with disdain by Westerners. That's why I am taking refuge from Western countries in this part of the world. No one treats me like dirt here. You like your western countries ethnically cleansed to your liking? Fine. But don't pretend that you run things here as well.

Interesting post you have been treated badly in many places. Why don't you try moving to Russia there you will be treaded like a Russian should be treated. Why do you look in other places in the world?

Chances are you are a wonderful guy but your country men here in Thailand with their mafia's and rudeness from most of them not all is bound to be attached to you until they get to know you.

As long as you insist on living outside Russian dominated societies the Russian treatment of other nations and blocking of peace proposals or introduction of help is going to rub off on you also. Try living in the Ukraine.

I have said it before in these forums and I will say it again, th Russians are nasty pieces of work. Even in the FSU the people used to be under Russian control tll you that the Russians are nasty people.

If they dont come to Thailand that is something the TAT could use "We are Russian free" that is bound to encourage Europeans and other nationalities to come

• Like 2

Big mistake for Thailand and its tourist industry to tie itself so closely to a country whose economy was a house of cards, waiting to collapse. When a business makes a bad choice, then it suffers. Thailand should have diversified. Instead, it went for the Russian and Chinese markets. Wait until China, with its opaque financial system, unravels as well.

Diversifying is exactly what they have been doing. I believe you are still stuck in the last century. The US can manage quite well on it's own, despite the BRICS countries bypassing the US$. Europe and the Euro unfortunately will suffer the most.

It is NO surprise to read so much racist crap [yes ... RACIST !!!] in a threat like this.

The question would be:

What makes people happy to see a whole economy in Russia being deliberately destroyed by

Western Interests making a huge amount of people suffer ?

Why is it that people are happy about a currency falling apart [Russia] making people suffer ?

Is it really that far that the "moral high ground people" in this forum are that brain dead ?

I know lots of very friendly and nice Russians around here on Samui.

The bad behavior of Russians is just as bad as bad behavior of Brits, Germans, Americans, Chinese, Koreans .... you name it !

The REAL numbers of missing tourists in Thailand is much higher than anybody would admit.

Go look around [if anybody posting here is actually in Thailand !!!] and see what is going on.

Empty Restaurants, empty bars, empty shops.

[i have to admit that I might co-incidently always come to these places 5 minutes after they were full

or 5 minutes before they all fill up ... at any given time of the day]

Fact is that a big number of businesses will not survive this and that's bad for ALL !

So it might be a good idea to think about this whole issue for just 10 seconds BEFORE

getting too happy about a major economy falling apart [in the media]

Just for the sake of the information:

Russia's Depth/GDP is about 20%

USA Depth/GDP is about 87%

Now tell me who is doing worse ...

The world economy is on a HUGE downturn if you look at the REAL numbers...

There is no sign of any recovery and as a fact a recovery is not even possible.

Be careful what you wish for .... the european's are also running out of money

and then the real "quality-tourists" everybody seems to be so eager for will

also not come ! ... but that's never going to happen because it is not in the newspaper [yet].

I went out for the past 2 nights in Bangkok and it was the busiest it's been this whole year. I think there may be a slight increase in tourists.

This is all smoke and mirrors as I have seen the "smiles back on Thai faces" from Chinese tourists.

Big mistake for Thailand and its tourist industry to tie itself so closely to a country whose economy was a house of cards, waiting to collapse. When a business makes a bad choice, then it suffers. Thailand should have diversified. Instead, it went for the Russian and Chinese markets. Wait until China, with its opaque financial system, unravels as well.

Diversifying is exactly what they have been doing. I believe you are still stuck in the last century. The US can manage quite well on it's own, despite the BRICS countries bypassing the US$. Europe and the Euro unfortunately will suffer the most.

Well, I don't know why you brought the US into this. I didn't mention the US at all, simply Thailand's over reliance on the Russian and Chinese tourist markets. As is plainly evident, that was a mistake. As for the US, since you bring it up, you can forget about it. That ship has sailed. Few Americans come her or will come here in the future. And with Cuba opening up, the few that do come here will be even smaller in number.

A fall in tourists, projected to take the number down to around 1.2 million in 2015. That is still a lot different from 200,000 in 2007. Still a powerful sector, and you are still going to feel swamped by them. Get used to it. It just ain't gonna change.

Agree about the lager louts but it won,t break my heart to see most of the Russians gone. Ask any Thai about their opinions of the Russians and some other types of foreigners and you will get an ear full. Yea they might love your money but not your overall personality and i would have to agree with them. Negative perhaps but it is the truth. Maybe one of the reasons for foreigners getting taken advantage of. Show disrespect towards the Thais and they will find a way to get even. Respect them, respect their customs, respect their laws, respect THEIR country and guess what no problems.

Cheap, low spending arrogant Russians welcomed in their hordes - what did you expect from a nation that hasn't travelled anywhere before ? This is karma after ignoring the previous 30 years of higher spending Western Europeans , can already see problems with new wave of Chinese - just ask airline / check in staff !!

Taking the fast buck rarely works.

Give them a copy of culture shock ! Bangkok at airport arrivals

Thais are punch drunk. They keep taking it on the chin staggering around the ring, shocked and dismayed that another opposition punch has landed on the kisser. They can't understand it. The Thais are befuddled. This all comes as a surprise. They don't read the news nor have a clue as to what is going on in the world. The Thais can't understand why others don't show up in droves lapping like hungry dogs for their sure fire "lures."

No problem! Numbers of arrivals down by 20% - just apply the usual Thai barowners' logic and put the prices up by 20% - Simples!!!

• Like 1

Totally agree on the massive debt both government and personal. The bubble is about to pop not unlike 1997 but this time much worse. Spend, spend, spend like there is no tomorrow while you go farther into debt. Can,t wait for the Thai baht to hit 60 or more to the U.S dollar.

Fear not. In the midst of a global downturn, Thailand will be rescued by Chinese tourist hordes and massive new government debt (aka "economic stimulus"). Happiness and prosperity will abound. Next question?

Luckily for Thailand this country has a huge surplus of foreign currency and a huge surplus of cash.. Thailand will not go bust for a long time.. a slow down Yes, same as most of the world.. but as there is no social security here and no imigrant problem, Thailand will survive very well. Also the new ally in China will help Thailand stay afloat even if it were to get into difficulties. Rock on Thailand , Pass the Chang.. So , I don't know where you get your info Jungle Jim, but I think you should stop to believe your wife...

• Like 1

Tough, they only have themselves to blame - well Putin and his idiotic invasion of Ukraine

Putin didnt invade Ukraine. What do watch? Fox News the BBC perhaps. The US and EU where behind a coup that overthrew a democraticly elected government (not the first time). And then lie as if Russia was the bad guy. Its the reverse. Crimea is 90% Ethnic Russian and voted to remain part of Russia. I hope Russia stand up to these bullies and that there economy turns round.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs, this short term pain for Russia will be longer term gain: the shift to China for trade, freeing itself from USD ties with a greater focus on RMB denominated activity= backfire on US and Europe. It may take a while but the Russians will be back.

They won't be back as your Euro-masters as they once were, because they don't have anything to sell except oil and gas. They don't make or create anything.

Edited by Dustdevil

I was Nha Trang, Vietnam for 6 weeks in November and December. Russians make up about 95% tourist there. It even seems the Vietnamese don't like them, but they like the money....but not all. The hotel I was staying at, would actually tell the walk-in Russians customers that they were full, and had no rooms available, but I knew they did.

I was shocked how rude some of Russian people are. Maybe because they are literally buying bottles of vodka for breakfast. After saying that, I did meet a few really nice Russians in Nha Trang.

I noticed a HUGE decline of tourist from November and December! At least 50% drop in Nha Trang, Vietnam.. So that means several thousand tourist drop in just a few weeks.

Did you suck this out of your thumb? I am in NH right now and Russians are treated well here. In fact better than any other place I know.You must be in charge of the hotels' booking database. I have not received one rude treatment and hotels check me in wherever I go. I can't say same about so-called "civilized" Western countries where I had the misfortune of spending 10+ years of my life. BTW I don't drink for breakfast or dinner. So take your stereotypes to your favorite beer bar. I am sick to my stomach of being treated with disdain by Westerners. That's why I am taking refuge from Western countries in this part of the world. No one treats me like dirt here. You like your western countries ethnically cleansed to your liking? Fine. But don't pretend that you run things here as well.

Interesting post you have been treated badly in many places. Why don't you try moving to Russia there you will be treaded like a Russian should be treated. Why do you look in other places in the world?

Chances are you are a wonderful guy but your country men here in Thailand with their mafia's and rudeness from most of them not all is bound to be attached to you until they get to know you.

As long as you insist on living outside Russian dominated societies the Russian treatment of other nations and blocking of peace proposals or introduction of help is going to rub off on you also. Try living in the Ukraine.

Not all "are" attracted to me? Whoa! I avoid Westerners' company like fire! I can't stand their arrogance and smug attitudes. Don't get me started.

I made a huge, worst mistake of my life when I emigrated from there back when it was USSR and basically wasted away all of my family's property on a plane ticket. I have returned there multiple times since and spent best of my years in Russia.

Disbelieve me all you like but I am here for the weather. I don't miss having seven sets of clothes.

• Like 2

Interesting, and logical oppinion, but unfortunately a little bit wrong :-) The author cannot see the real reason in the deep.

Russia has no country flop, they only organize it for themselves. I'm not a Putin fun, but he is a genius if he can make it happen.

In case anybody has a little overview on global economy can see, that he just push down the value of the foreign investments rate in his territory. These companies would be a massive problem for him in the future, for the EaU what they establish from today. But right now, after the funny hysterical reaction of the EU and their journalist and the not experienced but loud media, he got what he wanted, he purchase back huge volume of his economy, from the escaped non Russian (also non government) investors for a law value, and then own in his hand. Also he is laughing on the EU, as they were jumping into the trap of this artificial panic news marketing, so easy. And he made 20 billion USD profit on that action ;-)

The Russian tourist stay home we see, but not because of the Russian economy flop, because of the local situation, against for them.

What?

• Like 1

Putin has also quadrupled the amount of flights to Crimea from Russia this year. No passport is needed by Russian nationals to visit either. That and the crash will make this a terrible year and if we are honest a terrible few years for anyone relying on the Russians...

Tough, they only have themselves to blame - well Putin and his idiotic invasion of Ukraine

Putin didnt invade Ukraine. What do watch? Fox News the BBC perhaps. The US and EU where behind a coup that overthrew a democraticly elected government (not the first time). And then lie as if Russia was the bad guy. Its the reverse. Crimea is 90% Ethnic Russian and voted to remain part of Russia. I hope Russia stand up to these bullies and that there economy turns round.

"Crimea is 90% Ethnic Russian and voted to remain part of Russia"

Didn't that happen after the invasion?

How many other russian enclaves are due for annexation?

Edited by dansan

Well, the russian economy is based on an enormous amount of natural resources, mostly oil and gas.

The fact that the US together with Saudi Arabia are manipulating the oil market is a simple effort to bring down

the Russian economy and with it the russian government. No conspiracy theory ... just simple facts.

[or how would anybody explain that Saudi Arabia is flooding the market with oil while prices are going down ?]

It is mainly the russian currency that is brought down than the economy itself.

In the mid term this will have a huge negative effect on the european economies ... especially GERMANY !!!

And what this means should be clear to everybody: if Germany goes into recession it will take the whole world economy with it !!!

[... and all signs right now point to it !!!]

So, we get fewer Germans coming to Thailand, too?

Yes I am sure the numbers will be down in 2015/2016 for both Germans and Austrians. The sexpats still will be coming (in fact are here already until April/May 2015) but family travel certainly will be down. In fact the numbers down from Europe includes France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Greece and Portugal. The EU might move into recession during the year of 2015 which would also bring down the UK, Ireland and surely the Eastern European countries.

I think the Euro will be under a lot of pressure during 2015 and with a weaker Euro it gets to expensive for EU citizens to travel to Thailand. Hopefully the Thai TAT doesn't burn money on the EU market.

• Like 1

Thais are punch drunk. They keep taking it on the chin staggering around the ring, shocked and dismayed that another opposition punch has landed on the kisser. They can't understand it. The Thais are befuddled. This all comes as a surprise. They don't read the news nor have a clue as to what is going on in the world. The Thais can't understand why others don't show up in droves lapping like hungry dogs for their sure fire "lures."

No problem! Numbers of arrivals down by 20% - just apply the usual Thai barowners' logic and put the prices up by 20% - Simples!!!

After reading these two comments I have a new definition for the word "simple"....................clap2.gif

Regardless of the rights and wrongs, this short term pain for Russia will be longer term gain: the shift to China for trade, freeing itself from USD ties with a greater focus on RMB denominated activity= backfire on US and Europe. It may take a while but the Russians will be back.

Not anytime soon with even Putin conceding oil may well drop down to $40 USD a barrel this coming Summer..but the Russians do have another trump card up their sleeve..Gas!

Here's an interesting article from the Sydney Morning Herald worth a look!

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/cheap-oil-when-bad-things-happen-to-bad-people-20141228-12en37.html

• Like 1

And not too smart of Europe to follow the US in sanctions messing with a neighbor that is important for the gas supply to many parts of Europe. That gas now goes to China too.

• Like 1