ED Visa in Savannakhet with new regulations?

Hi,

I have to do my 2nd year ED Visa (for language school) in the end of January 2015. I was going to go to Penang but they just changed the rules there and are now demanding 600 class hours per year and my school only offers 200. I was told Laos is now the only place where I can get my ED visa done. I have been to Vientiane countless times and don't like the border crossing hassle and the chaos at the embassy so I was thinking of trying Savannakhet this time.

I read the reports on getting a ED visa from Savannakhet but they are from some months ago. Does any one know if they have tightened the rules in Savannakhet or is it still an easy process to get an ED visa done there?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I hope to hear a report of somebody doing it in December or January. The situation in Penang changed about 2 weeks ago and I had already bought flights and booked hotels so I'm just going to wait and see a few weeks before I tell my school where I will be going. Anyway if the options are Vientiane and Savannakhet, I'd rather try Savannakhet for a change. I hear that they can even process the visa on the same day (?) which is better too so I can leave my car on the Thai side of the border and return back the same day.

I think Penang is following the lead of the embassy in KL that has not done ED visas for a year now unless you are attending a University.

Vientiane appears to have their policy set knowing that people applying for ED visas will be applying for extensions and will have to meet the MOE and immigration requirements to get them. Which IMO is the way it should be.

Yes I have heard that KL has been a difficult place for a long time but Penang still did ED visas up to December. My school told me that they tightened the requirements just a few weeks ago. Well I'm OK with Savannakhet if that works. Shouldn't have bought flight tickets to Penang yet as the situation theses days seems to change all the time.

How much does an Ed Visa cost?

The visa in itself cost Bt. 2,000 single entry. If you are asking about the cost of tuition, visa extensions, visa run that gets close to Bt 50,000 a year.

Thanks for the update roath. I suppose both Vientiane and Savannakhet are still fine. I guess they must remain that way or otherwise many language schools would be out of business if their students can't do their visa anywhere. Well I will go to Savannakhet this time and see how that works out..should be quicker than Vientiane and I've never been around that are so can see something new too.

Do they always process the ED visa in one day at Savannakhet or is this depending on the situation? I have read reports that you take your papers in and pick up your passport the same afternoon. Are they consistent about this? Just wondering if I can book a hotel in Mukdahan instead of Savannakhet.

Edited by ChomDo

Do they always process the ED visa in one day at Savannakhet or is this depending on the situation? I have read reports that you take your papers in and pick up your passport the same afternoon. Are they consistent about this? Just wondering if I can book a hotel in Mukdahan instead of Savannakhet.

Visa applied in the morning are issued the same day in Savannakhet.