buying tickets at the airport

jimflan

Anyone ever bought flight tickets at the airport i..e for catching flight when you get there. I've heard varying reports of it being expensive/same price at other airports but not about Swampy, so be good to hear anyone's experience.

It all depends on the carrier and what's available at the time you get there to buy.

Do know that some carriers do in fact make their lowest "internet" only fares available online and can't be bought at a staffed airport (or city) ticket office.

Also, some carriers have a cut off for purchasing a new booking that tends to be a bit earlier than what is their check-in deadline. -- but again, each carrier sets their own rules about this.

The trend however is that airport bookings (which are usually walk-up or last-minute) usually don't garner the best fares as the lower(est) fares are usually sold by that point in time to earlier booking passengers.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I was just wondering whether anyone else had played this one:

Back in the day when Don Muang domestic was quieter and flights were cheaper, I used to play something called 'airport roulette'. This is when you take a friend, go to the airport, walk in the door and then look at the departing flights monitor. You then select the first flight that is scheduled depart after one hour from the current time, buy a ticket, get on the plane and go there.

Anyone else played this one?

Maybe a bit off topic, but I was just wondering whether anyone else had played this one:

Back in the day when Don Muang domestic was quieter and flights were cheaper, I used to play something called 'airport roulette'. This is when you take a friend, go to the airport, walk in the door and then look at the departing flights monitor. You then select the first flight that is scheduled depart after one hour from the current time, buy a ticket, get on the plane and go there.

Yeah, right.

In October I tried to get a dicounted rate (999, published in the internet) for Thai Smile at the airport counter.

No way, had to pay the second best rate (about 1250).

this is indeed because some fares on Airline websites are clearly marked as "internet only" or "internet special".

• 2 weeks later...

You don't buy a ticket anymore but instead book a seat on the flight. I cannot remember when I last had one of the old red flight coupons.

The price goes up the closer to departure.