What famous western people live in Thailand?

ttthailand

Marc Faber lives in Chiang Mai

OB

So he does... lives near me in Nong Hoi.

But he ain't too friendly I'm told.

Gotta appreciate the fact he is completely bald and still rocks a pony tail.

OB

Bald with a pony tail!!!

I understand now why i shouldn't have listened to him and put all my money in gold and silver...

Lol.

post-208926-14202648624638_thumb.jpg

very few. it should be a telltale sign that weathy foreigners don't own much property here likely due to prohibitive land issues or simply too much risk. this should tell the average investor a few things lol.

It would tell almost anyone to rent as the rental prices are 10% of what they are in many places with the same climate. Why would anyone but a goof buy property in Thailand?

Edited by thailiketoo

Plenty holiday, almost zero live. I don't understand why anybody would tie up a lot of capital in Thailand.

Money laundering perhaps or family commitments, or escaping the ruinous USA ,UK ,Euro tax regimes. Finer weather conditions, usually friendly local peoples, good and lucrative business opportunities, to say nothing of the fantastic variety of food, disco dollies and numerous other delights if you would only take your blinkers off. By the way what do you mean by: 'almost zero live' HAve a great 2015.

Plenty holiday, almost zero live. I don't understand why anybody would tie up a lot of capital in Thailand.

Money laundering perhaps or family commitments, or escaping the ruinous USA ,UK ,Euro tax regimes. Finer weather conditions, usually friendly local peoples, good and lucrative business opportunities, to say nothing of the fantastic variety of food, disco dollies and numerous other delights if you would only take your blinkers off. By the way what do you mean by: 'almost zero live' HAve a great 2015.

Tax in Thailand is also brutal

OB

Brian Jacks lives near Pattaya. All round decent guy.

Who??????

Some bloke who used to be good at judo who was shagging a pretty tidy swimming bird. Famous for five minutes sometime during the last century.

Yes - but that's 5 minutes of fame more than you tongue.png

• Like 1

Beckham was given a multi million dollar house in that fancy/expensive resort on Koh Kood.

Are you sure about that? Thought Samui

I heard Samui too. But I think it is BS. Samui PR. Samui does not have the services to support superstars. It is way, way underdeveloped in a five star sort of manner. Yes, there are five star properties like the Four Seasons and the Banyan Tree. And they are very nice. But the rest of the island is severely lacking in good infrastructure and good services. It is a wannabe five star kind of place. No real shopping. No good bakeries. The French bakery is a sad place. Lacking creative juice on any level. Very surly service. Mediocre pastries. The real distinction with Samui is the extraordinary lack of pride the officials and Thai locals have, in the place. Nearly everybody tries to extract the maximum from the place, and put back as little as possible. There is a loud sucking sound coming from Samui. It has really suffered as a result of the lack of pride. It is a worn out kind of place. A bit barren emotionally and no real nurturing going on. Kind of a neglected step child. The central govt. has been giving so little, and the State govt. does not seem to care. Perhaps due to issues with the local mafia piglet families? Also highly ineffective policing, waste water issues, massive traffic safety issues, out of control taxis, etc. Not someplace a guy like Beckham would want to spend his time, more than likely. Or any superstar for that matter. When was the last time anyone spotted one on Samui?

I saw Elvis on numerous ocassions in Tropical Murphys. And Bangkok, twice in one night. I swear he was following us around.

And then, when you think you are safe, thousands of miles away from Thailand. You go out for the evening to show off your tan - and there he is. Doing his thing down the pub.

He owns properties in many countries.

Edited by Patsycat

If you have any serious cash why would you invest in something you can't own, be at the mercy of any whim the local police chief dreams up and expect to have to pay bribes for anything important you want doing within a legal system that is as corrupt as much as it is broken. Mere mortals such as myself are happy to put up with the imperfect because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages (for the present anyway).

• Like 2

You could equally ask, "Which famous people live in China?" The answer would be virtually no-one despite China having around 20% of the world's population and a huge land mass.

Famous people become nobodies once removed from the culture in which they are famous. There is so much downside and so little upside for a famous person to move to a culture that is very different.

The only reason I can think of is to hide in a hermit type way. Even that is done better in a country with law enforcement and privacy laws.

Aussieroaming, on 03 Jan 2015 - 03:08, said:

Jimmy Barnes - Cold Chisel is married to a Thai

NO she is Japanese

Sorry raymp , she was born half Thai /Half Aussie (her father was an Aussie diplomat i believe) and fully Aussie in real life. Look at any recent photos of Barnsey and you will see him with Buddha icons on his neck.Also Barnsey has been a big supporter of the Thai Wat to the south of Sydney .

Edited by xen

So, after reading the posts the conclusion is that no famous people come to stay here.

I believe there's a few famous Russian mafia types and other famous "wanted back in their home country" people living in Pattaya.

• Haha 1