Flying To Penang

unbiasbob,

To fly to Penang is normally more expensive than to KualaLumpur. A nice way to get there ist by train over night to Hadyai and from there with a minibus (every travelagency) to Penang. The easiest and a cheap and confortable way is, to have it done by professinal helpers (mostly indians) that you will find easy. It takes three days.

Peter

Open 9-1200 for application and visa available after 1400 next day if no holiday involved. Only one service from Bangkok, a code share so price the same, see Thai Air.

Another option is fly to Hat Yai and mini bus or share taxi from there to Penang.

Comfortable trip is train to Butterworth/ferry Penang and return.

Just back from Penang by air, cost Baht 10,200 from Chiang Mai return by Thai Air.

Leaves CM at 17:30ish to Bkk. Bkk - Penang leaves 19:30 arrives 21:50ish local time Penang. (1 hour in front) Taxi to George Town centre costs RM 28 (100 Baht = 9.5 RM) set price. Imm and customs very friendly.

Stayed at Merchant Hotel in centre, cost 78 RM/night. Room clean, and and more than adequate.

Rang Mr Muthu (0164729991) came to see me next morning. Completed all necessary paperwork. Paid RM 500 for visa and RM 95 'T' money. Passport was back with me @ 14:30 next day with 1 year Non imm 'O' multiple entry visa.

Paperwork: Copy of Thai Bankbook, 2 photos, completed application form and Passport. (Muthu will guide you with form)

Next morning took taxi (RM 25) to airport for 08:40 flight to Bkk and on to CM arriving @ 11:30. (No airport tax in Malaysia for international flights)

Note of caution: 'Weekends in Malaysia vary according to the location. Although it is a Muslim country weekends in Penang are Saturday & Sunday, not Thursday & Friday as in other locations. Thai consulate therefore is closed on Sat/Sun.

Hope it is of some help.

cm boy

I take it you recommend Mr Muthu?

Got a multi emntry, which was why it was 500 ringgit?

My sitauation is I have plans while I'm in Penang, so having somebody to pick up and drop off my passport and application would be much easir and save me having to stay in Penang longer.

Did he seem honest? I just worry about someone running off with my passport and money?

I found "The Merchant" a bit scabby. Drab, mosquito infested rooms and the complimentary breakfast was crap.

The Cititel directly opposite is light years better for around 120 RM or The City Bayview around the corner down Leith Street for about the same.

I used Sharma Travel on Leith Street, Mr Honey took care of my visa for me. Superb service. He also booked me a room at The City Bayview at a discount.

Once I'd dropped my passport in I went up to Batu Ferringi beach in the North and stayed at the beautiful Casuarina Resort. Around 220 Rm. Much better than hanging around in Georgetown.

All in all a rather pleasant trip.

Agree with the above......get yourself out of Georgetown once you have dropped your passport off with an "agent" ( i use Parvez travel outside the swiss hotel on lebuh chulia ....good service ). I normally stay at the Hotel Continental as its one of the few with a pool 98rm/night.........you need to book online to get this rate. During the day head to one of the beaches out of Georgetown. :o

Paperwork: Copy of Thai Bankbook, 2 photos, completed application form and Passport. (Muthu will guide you with form)

Could someone tell me what the " completed application form is: is it possable to get it on line? could make things faster.

thanks

gonenorth

unbiasbob,

Not many people fly to Penang via Kuala Lumpa because it's exspensive but if you have the money you can arrange the flight.Airasia have some cheap deals on now,i got a return ticket from BKK-Hat Yai for 4,500 bt.Then 300bt minibus from Hat Yai to Penang(20 ringit back to Hat Yai).

Now this time of year you put it in before 11am then get it back the following day after 2pm.2 days in total(busier times of the year 3 days).

The cost of a non imm o through an agent is:

Single entry 220RM

Multi entry 520RM *The extra 20 is for the service.

You won't need to show bank book for either of these visas but bring it incase because in South East Asia you never know.