$3500 Adventure bike for USA?

papa al

I am not so sure about that either, the Yanks think 650cc is small bike, 250cc would be seen as a moped for world travel.

I know I said early that Ed March rode a 90cc bike around the world, but he was proving a point and didn't mind talking his time, plus he traveled light, but small engined bikes are pretty wearing and usually too small for westerners.

Touring needs a twin of around 500cc, to carry a 100kg bloke and the same in luggage..

Another thread discussed this bike here. Can't remember, but the anti-Chinese posters were out in full force.

Of course never ridden one, but - it's from China so it's got to be bad.

See if I can get "The little grey cells" - as Hercule Poiret said, to remember

Not against it per se, but at current exchange rate of 115.5k baht, why not just go up to the CB300 and deck that out for a touring bike?

The Zongshen rx3 has 18 hp (less than the CBR 150!) and has to move 385 lbs (175 kg). The 300F has a dyno'd 26.2HP and only weighs 348 lbs (158 kg) full of fluids. Would think the boring Honda reliability as well as the nationwide dealership support would win even though you have to pay ~500 USD (15K THB) more as well as adding on all the rest of the bits and bobs.

Jeeze yes, Didn't realise how cheap the CB300f is in the US, £3,999, it has to be a no brainer. The extra power alone is worth the extra few dollars and you are getting twice the bike too with a Honda over Chinese.

This is what gets me about Chinese bikes, I know they are getting better, but until they get very good, they must be cheap, really cheap, like less that half.

119,000baht = $3660 so $167 different than price in article.

Also this is a projection only, the bike hasn't received California approval yet.

I like it.

Speed limit in US out west is 75mph = ~120kph.

I'm guessing this lightweight could cruise that.

My 650 KLR is too much for me in the rough.

Too old/ not man enough I guess.

Edited by papa al

papa , i had a Honda XR 650 R in England , for green-laning. Kick start only. Liquid cooled . crazy.gif . USA got the air cooled 650 L . Bit too big for what i was using it for , but boy- o -boy , what a bike !!. USA seems to get their bikes VERY well priced , seeing as they are made in China / LOS etc.

They are going to get killed. Not to sure who the hell would brave a 250 on any freeway decked out with touring equipment. There is a huge anti Chinese setiment in the states & most people will buy a used bike & set it up for touring for the same amount or a $1000.00 more. This bike will be DOA in America. I mean why. you can get a larger Honda that will last for the same amount. No one cares for the cheap charlie inferior stuff from China. It even says in the article the writer did not believe it will be as reliable. Why buy a copy of a Honda when the honda is the same price. Now if it was $500-$600.00 they may get some beginners but there really are not that many 250 cc anything on the roads anymore But you can probably get a lambreta or a vespa if you want a very small bike. 250 is not enough power to get away from traffic bearing down at you doing 80-90 MPH in California freeways or 90-100 MPH in Nevada. And if you are just going to be on old highways or side roads I can't see much adventure in riding. I think they either have a red herring or a Led Zepplin on this one. Right now I can get a 2004 vulcan 800 with 5000 miles on it(in Sanfrancisco garaged) . Looks like it has been in a vacuum chamber 800cc set up for touring (just add bags) that is comfy up to 130+MPH. Why would anyone throw good money away in the U.S. when you can get superb deals on real touring bikes? Endless larger bikes dirt cheap & reliable & name brand. The chrome even stays on the bike unlike most of the Chinese made got your money who gives a shit later after you buy it. But it comes with a 3 month Gaurantee.Or a tail light gaurentee LOL.

Edited by Beardog
  • Like 1

KTM,

KLR is a fine steed for the skilled rider.

I love the way it cruises washboard.

Heluva suspension.

Mine is older but low milage in great shape.

I run it all around Lake county on a $25.25/yr. off-road tag.

My friend rode one to Nome.

Or at least really far north.

They have Waves in UK right.

None in 'merica.

Unfair!

Edited by papa al

papa , waves are here , but most people buying these types of bikes only put up with the weather and anti-bike sentiments , untill they can afford a car , or they commute through traffic and have no choice. BD , the price we are charged in England means the Honda , once decked out with touring equipment , is double the price of the Zongshen / Ryuka bike. It seems tthe Honda is 50 % dearer in the USA , once modified. Maybe this isnt enougth saving to convince many , reguardless of personal feelings. A 250 , or anybike really , is all that some people have and they tour accordingly .Crusing at 100 MPH limits the chance to admire the view , yes ?.

papa , waves are here , but most people buying these types of bikes only put up with the weather and anti-bike sentiments , untill they can afford a car , or they commute through traffic and have no choice. BD , the price we are charged in England means the Honda , once decked out with touring equipment , is double the price of the Zongshen / Ryuka bike. It seems tthe Honda is 50 % dearer in the USA , once modified. Maybe this isnt enougth saving to convince many , reguardless of personal feelings. A 250 , or anybike really , is all that some people have and they tour accordingly .Crusing at 100 MPH limits the chance to admire the view , yes ?.

The MSX 125 and PCX 150 are all that are offered state-side. The original 50cc Ruckus and Scoopy looking bike are also offered.

If you're looking to modify up to 50% more than the Zongshen, you're getting an awful lot of kit. Prices below taken from Revzilla unless otherwise noted.

Side rack $100 (exactly 3000 thb at gt-auto)

Panniers $180 and up

Top rack $120

Top case $90 and up

Frame protection >$150 (could only find sliders)

RaceTech springs ~$120

That takes you up to $4760 when you add the base price plus those options. Still have about $500 to play with.

Note that with my example you're starting with an arguably better bike and adding name brand components to it. Is that worth the +36% increase in price? Perhaps. The Honda has +46% the HP and -10% the weight. Throw in the established dealer network, the perceived higher quality and the resale value (if you're into that) and I would think it's a bit of a foregone conclusion.

Of course there are always those who are cankerous and will buy it just to spite logic....

seedy , this bike was mentioned by Richard BKK in a thread about Lifans. It was then rpiced at 119,000 Baht in Thailand. How is it cheaper in USA . The Honda is much cheaper. Prices needs to be sorted it LOS .

Thanks

I agree , dave-boo. Unless there is a larger price gap , many will play safe and go the Honda way. In LOS the Honda , with your above modifications , would work out about 40 % dearer then the Ruyka . This will / may sway people to the Honda untill we trust the - ever increasing quality - of these cheaper bikes.

Bikes are built to a price-point, and the definition of an 'adventure bike' means it has some degree of off-road ability. Off-road suspension components (that are also usable on-road- duality is essential) by necessity have to be built to a higher standard of durability than their tarmac-only counterparts, and thus are generally more expensive. At $3500, what can you expect to get?

I would think that reliability concerns will keep these bikes from really being used for their intended purpose- I don't think the Chinese manufacturer (or any other manufacturers) can pull it off for so little money.

The Brits are the biggest cheapskates on the planet, so this will probably sell well there, you already see plenty of cheap Chinese bikes there, sold for a song, often by spivs. These people quickly lose interest, or suffer them and take them down the dump after a period of bike recumbency. It makes little sense to me, but maybe I have less money than sense.

The traditional quality bike buyers in the UK will continue doing what they do, riding all over the place, stopping only to change oil every xk miles.

• 5 weeks later...

There is a bunch of information about the bike in the OP on this page:

http://www.p-bike.net/static.php?mode=preview&keyword=RYUKA&keyword2=RX3

who pays 129 k thb for a ryuka/zongshen/generic adventure looking bike from China with no track record?

For similar amounts, you can get a rock solid honda crf-l or kawa klx or pay 85 k more, you can get a cb500x which is a more than enough bike for all Thailand and SAE with lots of comfort and reliability.

so, if the price of this zongshen ryuka wahetever is around like 80 k thb, it might be a good value.

• Like 1

This bike was at the 2014 Bangkok Central World bike show (in the outside area) - it looked pretty good - like a small BMW GS. The luggage, nice seat and big tank (compared to a CRF or KLX) would be good for touring. Apparently it also has 'waterproof electrics' - but I thought all bikes had this? The Chinese bike dealer near Hua Lomphong station can supply them.

But as a lightweight long distance touring bike it may be tricky to get parts compared to a 'world bike' like the Honda CRF.

I guess if you want a small capacity long distance bke then the Wave would be the logical choice - but a CRF 250L with aftermarket, bigger fuel tank would be my choice.

This bike was at the 2014 Bangkok Central World bike show (in the outside area) - it looked pretty good - like a small BMW GS. The luggage, nice seat and big tank (compared to a CRF or KLX) would be good for touring. Apparently it also has 'waterproof electrics' - but I thought all bikes had this? The Chinese bike dealer near Hua Lomphong station can supply them.

But as a lightweight long distance touring bike it may be tricky to get parts compared to a 'world bike' like the Honda CRF.

I guess if you want a small capacity long distance bke then the Wave would be the logical choice - but a CRF 250L with aftermarket, bigger fuel tank would be my choice.

You would think so about the electronics...but wasn't there a post in one of the Ducati threads where a wash shorted out the bike's system?

Not against it per se, but at current exchange rate of 115.5k baht, why not just go up to the CB300 and deck that out for a touring bike?

The Zongshen rx3 has 18 hp (less than the CBR 150!) and has to move 385 lbs (175 kg). The 300F has a dyno'd 26.2HP and only weighs 348 lbs (158 kg) full of fluids. Would think the boring Honda reliability as well as the nationwide dealership support would win even though you have to pay ~500 USD (15K THB) more as well as adding on all the rest of the bits and bobs.

According to all information I can find about the Zongshen RX3 is that it has 24 horsepower or 18.5kW power, so I guess you made the classic mistake to see kW for HP.

Edited by Mr.Poko

According to all information I can find about the Zongshen RX3 is that it has 24 horsepower or 18.5kW power, so I guess you made the classic mistake to see kW for HP.

It appears I may have made that mistake...