Thailand ranks world no.2 in road fatalities

Lite Beer

As bad as it is here you guys should try driving in Vietnam. The only reason their fatalities are lower is lack of cars and fewer roads to speed on. Wait a few years

After living 7 years in North Vietnam I couldn't agree with you more mate. The Vietnamese are the most dangerous road users in the world bar none.

These stats are indeed misleading.

Thailand has a lot higher % of car ownership than either of the others mentioned.

The relevant stat should be deaths/number of cars not per head of population.

Even that wouldn't show the whole picture.

I have driven here for the last 10 years and although it is clearly more dangerous than many places I am so far accident free so no need to get too excited by these figures.

Stop trying to deny something Thailand has worked so hard to achieve.

• Like 2

For me the driving here is one the most 'un-Buddhist' things about living in this country. "Me me me, I'm first! I most make it to my destination mili seconds faster than you, out of my way! I'll kill you or die trying to be first!" It makes a mockery of all the lucky charms they plaster all over their cars.
This is a very interesting point. Getting to your destination as fast as possible then having absolutely nothing to do.

I think the idea is to get it all over with as soon as possible. Exposure time being a factor in risk.

I've walked behind Thais strolling through the streets and I see no evidence of them wanting to get the walking part over and done with

I've managed to 35mph out of Tesco trolley before. It was down the shoes isle, daughters couldn't keep up.

I want some of whatever you're on. Which aisle did you buy it on?

It was one of those Porsche trolleys. Rented.

These stats are indeed misleading.

Thailand has a lot higher % of car ownership than either of the others mentioned.

The relevant stat should be deaths/number of cars not per head of population.

Even that wouldn't show the whole picture.

I have driven here for the last 10 years and although it is clearly more dangerous than many places I am so far accident free so no need to get too excited by these figures.

Stop trying to deny something Thailand has worked so hard to achieve.

Exactly. Just accept the runner ups trophy and try better next year.

Of course those who question the accuracy of such statics and the possible variations are correct but out of all the alternatives, this is probably the most accurate. Previous publications have listed deaths per 100,000kms travelled and the results are similar enough to highlight the countries that have issues to address

Amongst all the hot air on this thread is the simple fact that according to the statistics given (and for the last few years) Thailand's accident record per annum is around 28,600 and given a population of 65 million, this averages out to 550 a week. The weekly death figures for New Year and Songkran each year are therefore highly fudged or else show a distinct improvement on the average. I leave it to you to decide which!

• Like 1

A start would be making it compulsory to wear seat-belts - takes me five mins of faffing around to get the holder from under the taxi back-seat, much to amusement of driver, sometimes angers him/her. Took one across Bangkok other day long journey - breakneck speeds, constant tailgating almost touching bumper. Shock absorbers blown out for sure as we flew over bumps shaking about violently. Sheer terror. When I said "me weylaa, chaa chaa geh dai" (i have time you can go more slowly) he laughed hysterically & it provoked him to up the F1 style driving. My Thai gf accompanying me said this was normal driving & she wasn't afraid...

For me the driving here is one the most 'un-Buddhist' things about living in this country. "Me me me, I'm first! I most make it to my destination mili seconds faster than you, out of my way! I'll kill you or die trying to be first!" It makes a mockery of all the lucky charms they plaster all over their cars.

This is a very interesting point. Getting to your destination as fast as possible then having absolutely nothing to do.

You forget facebook.

• Like 1

Westerners wear a seat-belt in case an accident will happen.

Thais do not wear wear a seat-belt believing an accident will not happen.

Westerners wear seat-belts because it's the law, and respect the law.

Thais do not wear seat-belts because they have no respect for the law or their own safety.

I think if Westerners didn't have to wear them, many wouldn't.

Some Thais wear seat belts, some don't.

Do you want Thailand to have the same laws as Western countries?

If it did, then it wouldn't be the Thailand I love. I prefer to have the right to drive without a helmet if I want and I rarely do wear a helmet.

Would you like to have to wear a bicycle helmet that Westerners have to?

Would you like not to be able to take your kids for a ride on your motorbike?

Would you like to be fined for drinking a bottle of water when driving?

Would you not like to be able to answer your phone whilst on your motorbike?

Or maybe you just want to change some of the laws to suit yourself.

Oh lord.

• Like 2

And these are only the ones that actually die ON the road. Well,---- what will the authorities do about it? Nothing but pious words as usual. The police just watch for the opportunity to make money, not safety.

that is correct phetmike the figures are only the one's that acually die on the road, im not sure how the other 2 country's calculate their fiures but thailand could possibly already be the number 1

Thais do not wear seat-belts because they have no respect for the law or their own safety.

If it did, then it wouldn't be the Thailand I love. I prefer to have the right to drive without a helmet if I want and I rarely do wear a helmet.

What did i just read?

• Like 2

I live in Greece, and one of the things I love about the country is the lack of nanny-state bullying. I never wear a helmet when I ride my bike - I find them uncomfortable in the heat, they interfere with my peripheral vision (something I consider vital when riding) and they interfere with my hearing, which I also consider an important factor. But more than that, I just love the freedom of feeling the wind through my hair (what little I have left...). I also rarely wear a seatbelt.

• Like 1

See our resident Junta cheerleader is claiming 'Education, education, education' is the key. He is correct. For once I agree with him.

However, not sure he realises that the current Education minister is an Admiral with no relevant experience or qualifications for the job.

• Like 2

First, second, third . . . tenth . . . we've established it's a pretty darn dangerous place to travel by road et.al.

So how do you minimise the hazard of becoming deceased by way of speeding Toyota Hilux?

Which is the best vehicle to drive? I'll start by saying four wheels better than two.

A discussion of defensive driving techniques would also be handy.

" A discussion of defensive driving techniques would also be handy. "

that is probably NUMBER 1 thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

44 per 100,000 per year with a population of 67 million makes for 80.8 road fatalities per day on average. This suggests that the roads during long holidays as the current one (so far 260 reported fatalities in 5 days, or 52 per day) are actually relatively peaceful (although those dying in the days/weeks ahead from injuries sustained during the holidays may still help to close the gap).

In 2013 Blighty it was around 4.69 deaths per day (1713 road deaths), similar population.

Really this needs to be based on miles travelled by road and not population. I guess. For a more accurate view of how ghastly road safety is.

In my early 20s in UK i drove a car about 20,000 miles per year. Never had an accident. In my early years 30s in Bangkok over a two year period I had 2 cars run into me, a fruit cart run into me and 3 broken windshields. Never did more than 10,000 km total.

• Like 1

Gotta love those U-turns: tractors doing 5 km/h merging in the fast lane with cars doing 150+ km/h - just brilliant!

Staggering isn't it?

I mean it's the same as having a U-turn in the central reservation of a motorway or freeway or autobahn.

blink.pngw00t.gif

I live in Greece, and one of the things I love about the country is the lack of nanny-state bullying. I never wear a helmet when I ride my bike - I find them uncomfortable in the heat, they interfere with my peripheral vision (something I consider vital when riding) and they interfere with my hearing, which I also consider an important factor. But more than that, I just love the freedom of feeling the wind through my hair (what little I have left...). I also rarely wear a seatbelt.

Hear hear!

Many of the complainers are old fuddy duddies who moved here late in life and have brainwashed by those Nanny states.

My father complains about the kids not having seatbelts on in the back and me smoking in the house. He used to smoke in the car when we were on holidays so much that the roof was yellow, never wore a seatbelt himself.

How boring a life when they're are no risks to take.

Frogshit #2.......they dont include motorbikes or deaths at hospitals etc....so by far the easy winner at number 1.....hope they proud

Showbags, to remove any doubt, any chance you could provide a source as to how the road death statistics are actually derived?

Surely, the numbers include motorcycles?

Edited by MJP

And these are only the ones that actually die ON the road. Well,---- what will the authorities do about it? Nothing but pious words as usual. The police just watch for the opportunity to make money, not safety.

Regretably you are so correct. The numerous road blocks do nothing for road safety and are the the equilivent of UK speed cameras, revenue collectors official and unofficial respectively.

Statistics! After arriving at Heathrow (London UK) sometime ago the pilot announced " The safest part of your journey is now over. Please take care if you use dangerous travel by a car or even worse by walking" Try telling that to the families of Malaysian airlines of recent times!

• Like 1

Frogshit #2.......they dont include motorbikes or deaths at hospitals etc....so by far the easy winner at number 1.....hope they proud

Showbags, to remove any doubt, any chance you could provide a source as to how the road death statistics are actually derived?

Surely, the numbers include motorcycles?

Methodology, one more time: http://www.who.int/v...status/2013/en/. Include 2- and 3-wheelers and people who died after being scooped off the road.

• Like 1

What makes this statistic even more hideous is that those of us that come from countries that have high standards of road safety have to take their hideous, pointless, meaningless driving test that isnt even conducted on road. Nothing will change as the country has an insular mindset and closed to anything other than making money or exploiting people.

Er... what's this about FIVE HUNDRED crashes at U-TURNS last year???

Can that figure possibly be WRONG? I reckon it would be a safe bet to say there were "at least 500-per month."

Time to install "Round-Abouts."....and get the "BIB" off their backsides, out onto the roads enforcing the laws by issuing Tickets for "On The Spot Fines" and not simply collecting "Tea Money."

• Like 1