2. talking complete nonsense with ugly birds in bars

3. living in an oven

4. wishing to live amongst ants, mosquitoes, cockroaches and lizards

5. treated like idiots by the indigenous people

Then, yes, Thailand really is a great place to retire

1 only done by morons

2 never go to em ever, never been to em either

3 granted in April but not all year

4 true but can easily be avoided totally if you build your house right keep surroundings clean

5 yes but not all treat you like idiots but I get the gist

Still stupidly cheap for what you get but dont rely on ANY comeback if things go wrong with anything.

I had a problem with a new laptop purchased at Power Buy. They replaced it with little difficulty encountered.

I prefer to avoid saying "anything" this or that. I've been proved wrong in too many instances.

Costa Rica is probably at the top of my list. The country is stable. No military.

Education and healthcare fantastic. Woman.... beautiful.

Do some research. Preferably, live research. VERY BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY.

I lived in Thailand for seven years. I am married to a Thai. Currently in Australia, - but I have my eye on moving to Costa Rica ... based a on about six months of living there (before Thailand).

I am done with Thailand. We miss many things about Thailand, - but it seems to have gone down hill.

COSTA RICA. Check it out!

• Like 2

Lol. I wouldn't be caught dead (which I probably would be) in one of those south - of - the - border countries. You think Thais might have resentment toward farangs? Ain't nothin' compared to how those folks feel about gringos, with plenty of justification, granted.

"Thailand received full score on entertainment and amenity," ---

Thailand gets next to no international shows, has no major sporting events (Takraw doesn't count), hardly any non-thai musicians who aren't a decade past their peak come to play here, has no worthy musuems or libraries or art galleries, fewer recreational venues than other countries..... yet it still gets full score?

I guess if your definition of "entertainment" is limited to shopping, drinkiing in bars and hiring prostitutes.

Sure there is worse places to live, but seriously maybe some "expats" could enlighten me what constitutes entertainment for old folk in Thailand? Sitting in traffic? Evening Aerobics in the Big C parking lot?

Well with regards to musicians , I don't imagine too many retirees want to see Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber prance around a stage. Granted it doesn't have many art galleries or museums just as France doesn't have many temples, or Tiger sanctuaries.

Maybe the retirees they asked are the type I saw in Hua hin at the weekend, leather skinned drunkards walking around like they owned the place while nursing a Chang beer for an hour.

• Like 1

Their List could have been filled with worst retirement choices. It could have had:

1) Safety and Security - North Korea

2) Religious Freedom (Providing you are Muslim) - Saudi Arabia

3) Excitement in Lifestyle - Afghanistan

4) Exercise Venues (As in running for your Life) - Syria

5) Enjoying the local Greenery and Fauna - Brazil's Amazon

6) Variety of Food - Peru -Guinea Pig and Potatoes, Potatoes and Guinea Pig, Guinea Pig and Potatoes, etc.

7) Society and Culture (Breakdown of and None) - Detroit, USA

8) Trekking - Mongolia (Never to be seen again in Gobi Desert)

9) Sailing - (Away from Pirates) - Somalia

10)Winter Fun - Antarctica

You missed Siberia and Khartoum, Sudan

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If the criteria is :

1. Imbibing vast amounts of alcohol

2. talking complete nonsense with ugly birds in bars

3. living in an oven

4. wishing to live amongst ants, mosquitoes, cockroaches and lizards

5. treated like idiots by the indigenous people

Then, yes, Thailand really is a great place to retire

And you still live in Thailand ?......or you have found Paradise somewhere else ?

From your comment thejcb #5 seems to apply to you LOL they see u for what you are and treat you accordingly

• Like 2

After being issued a warning (that you Scot) I shall reply to this thread.

If folk are not happy with Thailand then **** Off and moan plus biatch in your own paddock.

I am not sure that I get your comment. Could you be a little more specific LOL

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Costa Rica is probably at the top of my list. The country is stable. No military.

I lived in Thailand for seven years. I am married to a Thai. Currently in Australia, - but I have my eye on moving to Costa Rica ... based a on about six months of living there (before Thailand).

I am done with Thailand. We miss many things about Thailand, - but it seems to have gone down hill.

I was waiting for some body to mention C.R. Saw a programme about buying property there recently ,and it seemed cheap still and looked lush and tropical .

When I first got here and for the subsequent two or so years, I felt that Thailand was arguably the best country to retire to that I had come across.

Now that my rose tinted glasses are off, I'm not so sure. There are many advantages, that's for sure. But as we age, some of these perks are no longer a priority item. I'm starting to consider some other countries such as the Philippines, Laos, Cambodia and even as far afield as Columbia!

Some people really ought to think before they type. I have a friend lives in PI and he never stops moaning about the place. Shit food, corruption that makes Thailand appear an upstanding member of the international community. Mega storms blowing in annually.

"But as we age," you say, then mention Cambodia, nice place but very little in the way of health care. Laos, OK if you like the wild west or need to 'disappear' Columbia, no idea TBH but am pretty sure drugs and associated violence is a big issue there.

As for all the other whiners on here, yes, Thailand is far from perfect, but if its really that bad you have to jump to your keyboard offering negative comments to a survey that doesn't count for shit, then it's surely time you relocated.

• Like 2

Thailand gets next to no international shows, has no major sporting events (Takraw doesn't count), hardly any non-thai musicians who aren't a decade past their peak come to play here, has no worthy musuems or libraries or art galleries, fewer recreational venues than other countries..... yet it still gets full score?

I guess if your definition of "entertainment" is limited to shopping, drinkiing in bars and hiring prostitutes.

Sure thereis worse places to live, but seriously maybe some "expats" could enlighten me what constitutes entertainment for old folk in Thailand? Sitting in traffic? Evening Aerobics in the Big C parking lot?

They have aerobics at Big C? Which time?

What I've seen after living in several different countries is that things change.

Mexico was superb. But not now.

Columbia was a nightmare - especially places like Medelin. Now it seems to be on the up and up.

Cambodia was out of the question for a long time. But now it's looking increasingly attractive.

Thailand was one of the best. But it terms of affordability, hospitality, safety, bureaucracy and investment its on a decline.

• Like 1

I have no personal experience, but I understand that full service hotel style retirement homes for people who need daily care are becoming popular for foreigners in northern Thailand. The language is a problem, but I can imagine that Thai nurses are much much nicer with old people then in Western European countries. The cost must also be a fraction of Switzerland etc.

I was in Panama checking it out a couple of months ago. I couldn't wait to leave. Every home needs a barb wire parameter. It's ridiculously hot (and I live in LOS). The food sucks and I've never seen so many ugly fat women! This place continues to get on these list with marketing (probably paying to be on there). Note that articles praising Panama are usually written by people living there and trying to sell the overbuilt condos.

Mexico? Ye gods. I wouldn't want to visit there let alone live there.

Malaysia continues to swing towards sharia law with the Muslim hardliners demanding and getting more say as time goes on.

Medellin Colombia was a beautiful city and I could definitely live there...if I spoke Spanish. A lot easier to navigate Thailand than Colombia with just English.

Take these best place to retire results with a grain of salt. These articles come out every few weeks.

And you don't think that LOS pays a lot of money to be on that list? Time for another coffee

I am retired and I do actually hope to spend more time in Thailand, but the way I feel about

not ever being able to stay there without at least being able to have a visa that lets me travel out of

the country at least once or twice a year, and for the visa to last for 5 years, I would never consider living there

full time. My one friend that lives in Thailand from November until April, says he is most happy with that arrangement,

because of the rainy and Hot Summer and Fall weather. Plus living in Canada from April until November is

very comfortable as well. If I travel to Thailand from early November until late March I will pay about

$300 to $400 per month for rent, plus utilities, and the cost of food. I believe that I can afford to do that

about every 2 years. The price of airfare will be from $1200 to $1500 for the next 5 years, and I could

afford that. Maybe in 5 years I will know if the visa situation will ever improve.

I have been to Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, as well as South Korea, Taiwan, and a few other

countries, and I KNOW they are either far too dangerous, more costly, or both. I am not sure about

Vietnam, Philippines or Malaysia , however I would rather live in a Buddhist country than a Muslim

one.

I sure would like to have a bit more retirement pension, but life is what it is, so living in

Thailand full time is out of the question for the next few years.

Stargeezer

• Like 1

Retirement in Thailand, no thanks. There are many much better places around the world (Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Morocco) and specially in Europe: France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Romania, Hungary. All these places offer much more then Thailand can ever offer, from food to culture and entertainment. And easy to get resident permit too. The ranking of the magazine mentioned here is just absolute rubbish.

Had my fill of Spanish while living and retiring in Texas. Thai is not much more difficult. I will retire in Thailand even though the baht to the dollar is not what it used to be. I understand its culture even though I don't agree with it 100%. Thais are still much more accepting to foreigners being in their country. I will not complain about Thailand for the good out-weighs the bad and most importantly I do not burn the house that I desire to live in.coffee1.gif

Chok dee to those that don't agree.wai2.gif

Costa Rica isn't what it use to be. It's very expensive now and has always been relatively dangerous. Especially the capital and parts of the Caribbean coast. But a beautiful country. That was growing as fast as Thailand (with all the associated problems) until the crash of 2008.

We didn't like the food and the "green" season is really tough. Many leave during this time of year due to the state of the roads there. Some are impassable without a 4x4.

But it's definitely a country worth visiting and see if it's your style. Fantastic beaches, great mountains. The women are beautiful, but tend to get large after about 30. Which is about the same all over the Americas.

• Like 1

Yeah, they picked 10 countries, and Thailand came in LAST. That's the REAL picture.

Yeah and the top 3 were in Latin America - what a joke. Mexico - viva Villa! It certainly is bandit country. Totally lawless and corrupt - makes Thailand seem like paradise, IMO that is.

Retirement in Thailand, no thanks. There are many much better places around the world (Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Morocco) and specially in Europe: France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Romania, Hungary. All these places offer much more then Thailand can ever offer, from food to culture and entertainment. And easy to get resident permit too. The ranking of the magazine mentioned here is just absolute rubbish.

Bye bye then. Off you go and do let us know which one of so many you finally choose.

• Like 2

OMG So many knockers in Thailand yet you choose to live there. Almost every item on Thaivisa gets so many knockers.
There are 196 countries in the whole world. Coming 10th is not a bad score at all.
Over the years I have ben to many places worldwide and nowhere else have I been so readily accepted by the majority of people.
Thailand deserves the nickname "The Land of Smiles" for just everywhere you do smiling Thais are around.
The closest I came to that in Asia was Cagayan D'Oro in the Philippines but nowhere else in my travels
If you do not like the hospitality and the people you have chosen to live amongst then for god's sake leave!!!

Your post has merit. I would have left off the last sentence as I prefer to let people decide where they hang their hat.

I think the last sentence is the conclusion.

What are all those bitchers, criticizers, cussers, complainers doing HERE?

Where would they be happy?

I am retired and I do actually hope to spend more time in Thailand, but the way I feel about

not ever being able to stay there without at least being able to have a visa that lets me travel out of

the country at least once or twice a year, and for the visa to last for 5 years, I would never consider living there

full time. My one friend that lives in Thailand from November until April, says he is most happy with that arrangement,

because of the rainy and Hot Summer and Fall weather. Plus living in Canada from April until November is

very comfortable as well. If I travel to Thailand from early November until late March I will pay about

$300 to $400 per month for rent, plus utilities, and the cost of food. I believe that I can afford to do that

about every 2 years. The price of airfare will be from $1200 to $1500 for the next 5 years, and I could

afford that. Maybe in 5 years I will know if the visa situation will ever improve.

I have been to Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, as well as South Korea, Taiwan, and a few other

countries, and I KNOW they are either far too dangerous, more costly, or both. I am not sure about

Vietnam, Philippines or Malaysia , however I would rather live in a Buddhist country than a Muslim

one.

I sure would like to have a bit more retirement pension, but life is what it is, so living in

Thailand full time is out of the question for the next few years.

Stargeezer

You should have a look at Malaysia - no one rams Islam down your throat. I've always found the people friendly, the food great, English widely spoken and some lovely placed to visit. They are retiree friendly too. Philippines has good English speakers, albeit American English, and is very Catholic. I find their food o.k. but the fact that despite having a massive overseas workforce there aren't many Filipino restaurants around tells you something. It's also, IME, one of the more dangerous countries to be in. Vietnam - never been but some friends keep telling me I should go and look as they really like it best.

Many Chinese friends are now looking seriously at Spain and Portugal as retirement options. I expect they will also start to look at some of the newer EU members when then discover their existence.

A post containing a comment on moderation has been removed. Another post containing derogatory slurs has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Sure there is worse places to live, but seriously maybe some "expats" could enlighten me what constitutes entertainment for old folk in Thailand? Sitting in traffic? Evening Aerobics in the Big C parking lot?

Your opinion I guess.

The Rolling Stones? Eric Clapton? Sting?

A decade past their prime?

I don't think so.

Not much current to 40 entertainment from recent decades, true, but that is a good thing..

In my opinion!

• Like 2