Thai Bank With Us Dollar Account

HSBC has been able to handle all Thai Govt. requirements for me, including minimum balance requirements for retirement visa, foreign investment documentation for a condo purchase, etc.

The local branch is regulated by the Bank of Thailand and seems to simply be another Thai bank to me. They are also linked to all local ATM networks.

I'm in the process of opening up a US dollar account with Bangkok Bank.

Or, should I say, I am trying to do so. We visited the main branch in our town a couple of weeks ago. They didn't have the app and said they'd send it to us. We haven't got it yet.

Hi all....Just wondering

Which thai banks can receive the fund in US dollar or which one can I open the account in US dollar?

Many thanks in advance

BKK :D

:D

Not sure exactly what you mean by U.S. Dollar account. If you mean bank that will accept deposits in U.S. Dollars, most banks will be glad to do that. Yor deposit is converted to Baht according to the rate of day of deposit. Taking money out in Thailand however will mean withdrawals are in Thai Baht.

If you mean a U.S. Dollar account which allows you to withdraw money in U.S. Dollars, that is much harder to find. Some years ago Chase Manhatten Bank had a branch in Bangkok. At the time I had a full Dollar account with them, which let me take withdrawals out in U.S. Dollars. Had to pay a fee for each withdrawl however. Also there were tax restrictions on withdrawals from the Thai government in Thailand. To cut to the chase, I was paying a fee to Chase Manhatten Bank to take out my money in Dollars, which basically covered the Thai tax I should have paid on the interest I earned on my money. (Perhaps not what was intended, but in actual practice as the deal actually worked.)

Nothing comes for free.

:o

I am pretty sure that all Thai banks have FCD accounts.

However, as always, the bank staff like to dream up their own rules on the fly to avoid having to do anything out of the ordinary so expect a lot of BS and lies about non-existant BOT rules. I got a load of that crap at UOBs HQ branch in Sathorn so instead I went to SCB.

SCBs FCD people handed me a photocopy with a list of the required docs etc. A couple of days later I had gathered what was needed and opened a USD FCD account with them.

Just make sure you pick a bank that want you to be their customer - I would advise against BBL, UOB, KTB and other farang-unfriendly outlets...